Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

B & P Slugs

outerlimits

Off the topic of B&P but CJW brought it up: on the welded carrier weight. Looks to me as though the carrier is lifted by a mechanical lever on the side of the trigger group that the bolt actuates. The coil spring on the side pushes the lifter back down. Unless I'm completely stupid. As someone said when I was fussing about my carrier after welding, "It lifts 1oz and 1-1/4 loads, the amount of weight welding the carrier added doesn't matter a bit." As far as the length goes, that does matter. I made mine too long at first and it was actually dragging on rounds. Jeff Cockrum knows what he's doing, you shouldn't need to lighten the lifter. I shoot 2-3/4 dram, 1-1/8 oz AA and Remington Reduced Recoil 1 oz slugs want to try the B&P myself

I was turned on to B&P slugs by Jeff Cramblit (Team Benelli & RockCastle ProAm I match director) a few years ago and that's all I have used in my M2 since. Never a failure to date. Accurate and softest shooting slug I ever shot. I swear by them.

Damn! All of their ammo is cheap! I'm looking at the Sporting Clays Ultra Velocity and it looks pretty good.

I tried a bunch of it. Patterns fairly well in general. The crimps are not as good as AAs, STS, etc. Also, the powder they use tends to be rather smokey and fouls pretty quick. I bought a few cases and ended up selling most of it off. The B&P slugs are great if they run your gun!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a few of these slugs as a stocking stuffer (my wife/Santa is a real sport) and they shoot great out of my Benelli. Seem to shoot a lot flatter than Remington low recoil or Wolf. Anybody know where these slugs are in stock? Dillion and B&P are out.

I can honestly say that I cleaned bandpusa.com out just before York 3M3G. They sent us the last 9 boxes off their shelves, and apparently will not have more until February or so. That makes me think that third-party retailers will be having trouble restocking, too...

From the 2010 review I did on the B&P slugs:

Update: 09/24/2010

I spent some more time at the range and had a chance to shoot these some more. Something just didn't seem right as far as the felt recoil was concerned. The Federal Truball I shoot is a 1 ounce slug traveling at 1280 FPS out of my semi-auto. It is a reduced recoil load, per Federal's web site and packaging. Shooting the B&P slug was really quite notably softer in the recoil department. It just didn't make sense that 100 FPS slower would soften up the recoil that much.

When I got home, I plugged in my RCBS digital scale. After it warmed up, I calibrated it and then put the B&P slug that I removed from the hull a few days ago on the scale. Hmmm......370.7 grains. I sliced open a Truball slug and weighed it.....437.7 grains. 1 ounce is 437.5 grains.

Doing some quick math, it would seem that the B&P slug is not at all a 1 ounce slug but just slightly on the light side of a 7/8 ounce slug. The reduced weight and reduced velocity better explains why the felt recoil is notably less than the Federal Truball slug.

My faith in this slug going the full distance, in regards to properly cycling my semi-auto once it gets dirty, is not real good. I'll just have to see how it performs.

Last week, I wrapped up a 4 day shotgun course in which I shot approximately 200 rounds of B&P slugs (out of nearly 750 rounds of 12 gauge loads). Using my SLP Mk1, I did see early on failure to fully cycle issues after the shotgun had seen about 150 rounds earlier in the day. I was using the less than 1.5 oz piston. A quick cleaning/lube in the piston area got it back on track. I've no doubt that the 1200 FPS and 7/8 ounce weight is the main reason for this performance. On the accuracy side, I was getting solid 100 yard hits, off hand, on steel and fairly good performance out to 150 yards. At 200 yards, it was starting to act more like an artillery round....once heck of an arc to get it on target.

Nobody else getting fantastic levels of barrel fouling from these? Shot great, but built up a HUGE layer of blue plastic and lead on the first 3rd of my 870 barrel. If I'm the only one with that problem, I will keep what I have and try them in the M2.

Nobody else getting fantastic levels of barrel fouling from these? Shot great, but built up a HUGE layer of blue plastic and lead on the first 3rd of my 870 barrel. If I'm the only one with that problem, I will keep what I have and try them in the M2.

Not seeing the problem you mentioned. I always get some plastic fouling....even when shooting just Federal bulk packs from Walmart. My cleanup, after the 4 day course, was about the quickest one I've had since owning my SLP. I've never had that high of a round count before cleaning the barrel so I was quite satisfied with the performance of everything I shot.

PM me if you want a few, I have about 40 left. I no longer use them as they are just too light to run my Saiga 100%. I run the Fiocchi 7/8 Aeroslugs now.

Doug

I'd be interested in what you have left to test fire in my Benelli and my wife's FN SLP

• 5 years later...

So I'm resurrecting this thread since I recently received an email from Natchez about a sale on B&P shotshells.

If you go to B&P USA their site has been hijacked by a video link to "37 items that sell out after a disaster".  I watched some of it but its an add to get you to buy a newsletter about disaster prepping.

I.ve not been able to find any link to B&P USA or B&P shotshells at all other than the hijacked link.

The only place I've found that still has B&P low recoil slugs is Dillon Precision. 

Edited by Willz

I was given some to try a couple of years ago when i started out in 3gun and I havnt tried any other brand of slug since because i thought that all slugs probably shot as well as these b and p things but i figured it was just easier to stick to what was working. Maybe i was onto a winner  without even knowing.