Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays Metering

EMC(SS)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using the standard LRN data from the Hogdon website. My favorite so far for my XDM has been 3.8 of Clays to an OAL of 1.200 as per the Hogdon data. I have also loaded to 1.240 and they seem a little softer. Again your best bet is to check the website data.

I guess I'm not in the majority, because I've noticed +/- 0.1 grain variability from my 650 when using Clay's. I haven't been reloading all that long, so maybe that's acceptable when using a digital scale that only has 0.1 digits grn of resolution, but it's worse than the throw accuracy I get when loading N320 for 9mm.

I've also tried what I will call the "multi-throw average" technique, and what I found is that while I'd still get the single throw variation, but it averaged out about right, and gets better the more throws you average.

Other than that it's a really soft shooting 45 powder, and I've been pretty happy with it.

Testing with my chono and a 1911 showed that at 4.0 grains of regular Clays, using 230 grn MG CMJ's loaded to 1.25 with Winchester Primers, to be a pretty light load, <650 fps. Since then I've upped the load to 4.2 grains, but haven't had a chance to chrono it yet.

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I'm not in the majority, because I've noticed +/- 0.1 grain variability from my 650 when using Clay's. I haven't been reloading all that long, so maybe that's acceptable when using a digital scale that only has 0.1 digits grn of resolution, but it's worse than the throw accuracy I get when loading N320 for 9mm.

I've also tried what I will call the "multi-throw average" technique, and what I found is that while I'd still get the single throw variation, but it averaged out about right, and gets better the more throws you average.

Other than that it's a really soft shooting 45 powder, and I've been pretty happy with it.

Testing with my chono and a 1911 showed that at 4.0 grains of regular Clays, using 230 grn MG CMJ's loaded to 1.25 with Winchester Primers, to be a pretty light load, <650 fps. Since then I've upped the load to 4.2 grains, but haven't had a chance to chrono it yet.

Jason

Jason

I'm glad I read your post. It points out that the old adage is "right on". That is, different guns shoot different velocities with the identical loads. Your load would put me over 180 pf. That doesn't make your load good or bad, just different from what works for me. Interesting stuff.

Joe

Jason

Jason

I'm glad I read your post. It points out that the old adage is "right on". That is, different guns shoot different velocities with the identical loads. Your load would put me over 180 pf. That doesn't make your load good or bad, just different from what works for me. Interesting stuff.

Joe

I load with a RCBS Pro 2000 and did a little experimenting last weekend with my 45. Using clays and weighing each load I found the clays metering +- .2 grain. Switching to Win WST loads varied less than +- .1 grain. I don't throw 10 to 20 loads then weigh and divide....that only dilutes the inaccuracy of the charge weights. When you only want 3.8 grains +- .2 grains is somewhere between 3.6 and 4.0. Big difference in velocity and recoil!!!!! :surprise:

Edited by holdinsteady

• 9 months later...

I have had very good experiences with metering Clays. The only powder that I have had issues with is Trailboss. TB is sooo light that it is very prone to the slightest static charge -- this makes for messy and inconsistent metering.

Meters well on my LnL but I do catch an occasional light charge with my lockout die. Not a Squibb but enough to lock the die so maybe a half charge? Not sure what causes it but it happens like 1 in a 1000 rounds loaded. I keep my Hopper pretty full and use the baffle but the hornady measure will throw accurate charges literally down to the last grain so the cause is a bit perplexing.

True, but i'm not certain its short stroking either; there was no binding prior to hitting that one case that would cause me to stop short. Its just perplexing. I do have the lockout die set on the sensitive side so it could just be picking up a light variance in the metering. But what is causing that variance, whether its static or dwell time on the upstroke is the unknown. I think its more likely to be dwell time as i've been trying to speed up the process lately to load a ton of ammo during winter. But then how long does 4.0gr of clays need to drain out of the measure?

Unfortunately i never checked it. When i hi iut, i checked all stations/settings, realized the lockout die was activating, dumped the powder and started over and everything would then hum along fine like nothing happened. I'll take more care to try to analyze whats going on next time including weighing out any undercharge.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, since i posted about having a light charge every once in a while, i've not had it happen again. I've actually just started loading 45 so i dont have *that* much experience with it and as of a couple months ago, i've have probably loaded roughly 4K rounds since i initially posted my experience with the light charge and it has not reoccurred. I suspect now it could have been a short stroke or two and i've been vigilant to spot it if it happens again but no luck (fortunately).

I tried the SWC at 1.265 and had several more FTF. I then loaded up some Berrys 230RN to 1.270 and they worked perfectly. I will try loading the SWC to 1.275 but I will wait for my case gauge to arrive before I try again. BTW the SWC loaded to 1.265 also FTF in a friends Springfield 1911 so I guess going long will be my last shot with those.

Have you checked your crimp? When I started loading lead and coated SWC for my SS, I had a LOT of FTF, they were 3 point jams. At least three things helped me resolve the issue, A: sorting out R-P brass (and other lower quality brass) to be used only for range, B: using a wilson cartridge gage to check ALL my match loads, and C: settling on a crimp of .4695 to .470, this had the most impact on reducing FTF in my 1911s.

Edited by GregJ

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm seeing variations with it on my 550B - sometimes as much as 0.2gr which concerns me as I'm going for 4.3gr and sometimes the scale shows 4.5 - put it back in case, tare scale, weigh again, sometimes will show 4.3 but other times shows 4.4 to 4.5gr. Faulty Hornady Scale? Cost $30.

I'm seeing variations with it on my 550B - sometimes as much as 0.2gr which concerns me as I'm going for 4.3gr and sometimes the scale shows 4.5 - put it back in case, tare scale, weigh again, sometimes will show 4.3 but other times shows 4.4 to 4.5gr. Faulty Hornady Scale? Cost $30.

I am seeing the same results in my 550B. but, most electronic scales have +/- 0.2gr tolerance. best to use a beam scale to check