Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

U-die in a 650 ??

Ordered a U-die in 9 mm for my 650 to help with some brass problems. I read somewhere a user installed his die in station 2 instead of the 1 station used for depriming. Does this make sense to put it in the priming station to help resize the brass.....or just replace the existing Dillon depriming die in station 1??

thanks hope this thing works!!

I use it in place of the sizing die. Some people like to use it after the normal die to reduce the force required to use it. If you don't mind losing another station that's fine, but it's definitely not necessary 

Installed the U-die last night and ran 6-8 cases through it....I'm damn impressed so far.....case gauged all the processes brass and perfect results on 3 gauges.

Im a slow study.....why and how to lube 9 mm brass????....I've been through 65K +- 9 mm brass with no problems....is this new die not carbide and will I have to lube all this brass.......Thank you for all your help....it's a constant learning curve for me !!!

Dillon case lube sprayed 3-4 times into an empty Tupperware container, dump in brass, (~200 cases) put lid on and shake. Then dump into case feeder.

After loading dry tumble for 30 minutes and gauge.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

2 hours ago, TANFARM said:

.why and how to lube 9 mm brass????....I've been through 65K +- 9 mm brass with no problems....

You're not the only one, as I've never used case lube on 9mm either.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 11:20 AM, Sarge said:

Most who say that and then try lube, never go back to loading without it.

Exactly.

The amount of force required on a handle pull is significantly reduced when using something like One Shot. In fact it's pretty much like the difference between putting a knife through a stick of butter out of the fridge, and one sitting on the counter for 2 hours. So even though the carbide dies don't need it, your press runs much smoother and your arm works effortlessly.

Tip: spray the inside of a piece of old Tupperware then shake the cases around in it for a bit then dump into your casefeeder.

This way no lube makes it's way into the case where it can contaminate powder or primer and give you a dud round. Granted, that's hard to manage with one shot (it dries extremely fast)  but it can be done.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

OK....you've got me almost convinced ......however if i Tupperware as suggested do I then need to reclean in tumbler after loading???......this seems like a PITA after large runs.......I'm trying to simplify the processe!

thanks for all the informative thoughts!!!!!

1 minute ago, TANFARM said:

OK....you've got me almost convinced ......however if i Tupperware as suggested do I then need to reclean in tumbler after loading???......this seems like a PITA after large runs.......I'm trying to simplify the processe!

thanks for all the informative thoughts!!!!!

Why use a tupperware container? I dump a pile in a ziplock bag, open bag and spray the lube in there for a second or two, then agitate and do again if I have a lot of brass in there. The bag gets sealed while you agitate and there is no smell from the lube until you open the bag. I usually then just dump the bag into a cardboard soda tray if I need to let them dry for a few minutes. If the bag gets a hole in it, well it gets tossed in the trash and I've used all of 5 or 10 cents. '

I've never cleaned a round after loading. the lube dries onto the case and if anything, would help the rounds slide up in the magazine easier.

31 minutes ago, mikeinctown said:

Why use a tupperware container? I dump a pile in a ziplock bag, open bag and spray the lube in there for a second or two, then agitate and do again if I have a lot of brass in there. The bag gets sealed while you agitate and there is no smell from the lube until you open the bag. I usually then just dump the bag into a cardboard soda tray if I need to let them dry for a few minutes. If the bag gets a hole in it, well it gets tossed in the trash and I've used all of 5 or 10 cents. '

I've never cleaned a round after loading. the lube dries onto the case and if anything, would help the rounds slide up in the magazine easier.

I started with ziplock bags but also switched to one of those cheap plastic shoe boxes. Easier to slosh around and dump in the case feeder for me.

I dump the brass into my case feeder and then spray with one shot. Stir the brass a bit and spray again. I have done it this way for several years and see no reason to throw an extra container in the mix. I do have a little 1 step stool to make it easier to see what you are doing inside the case feeder. Never bothered to clean loaded rounds either and no issues so far. There is a little buildup in the case feeder, but no enough to worry about even after several years of this method.

I wet clean my brass, to dry I put them on a towel for a week or so in the shop, when dry, I fold up the towel, spray some case lube on the brass and then pick up the ends of the towel and roll the brass back and forth in the towel. Then I usually let the brass lie for a day or two before putting them in the bucket next to my press. I don't clean the loaded rounds afterwards. I normally do 2-3k pieces of brass at a time.

Lube brass.jpg

• 1 month later...

Update.....installed the Udie in my 650 for all my 9 mm rounds. Tried it without case lube...was hanging up a bit.

Tried the case lube in plastic tub.....definitely helps with a smooth operation. Down side...there is crap sticking to everything...plate, brass and finished rounds....yikes!!!!!!

I case gauged 1500 rounds of semi-sorted brass and pulled maybe 20 rounds that were gauge rejects. Very satisfied with the results. In trying to find a decent method to avoid re cleaning after loading. The towel method seems to work OK.

However my brass has lost its beautiful shine after the case lube route.....oh well....I guess it's the trade off.

Any further suggestions on removing excess lube after loading appreciated. Will this lube help or hurt the rounds when I use them????

Thanks to all for pushing me down the road......Mr. Bullet Feeder arriving next week.......beyond  excited !!!

Thanks to all !!!!!!

18 minutes ago, TANFARM said:

Tried the case lube in plastic tub.....definitely helps with a smooth operation. Down side...there is crap sticking to everything...plate, brass and finished rounds....yikes!!!!!!

Any further suggestions on removing excess lube after loading appreciated. 

Apply less lube.

The main reason I tumble afterward is so when a mag hits the ground the lubed cases seem to arrack some dirt, were as the cleaned cases don't.

Never had a feeding problem with un cleaned cases, during the winter indoor season sometimes I don't tumble them clean, but usually do cause they shine up nice after the Dillon lube is polished off,