Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeing .223 holes at 300yds

Dr Mitch

Wondering about spotting scopes versus target camera system for 300 yard group shooting. Using an AR-15 chambered in .223, sighting with an Aimpoint PRO right now.

I have been using a cheap Game Winner scope from Academy that I picked up before I knew anything about shooting a rifle well. It is limited in usefulness to 200 yards. For 300 yard targets I am having to drive down and check things out in person. The Game Winner is just irritating at this point since my interest is grouping and zeroing at 200-300 yards.

I am interested in stepping up to either a spotting scope that will be clear enough to see .223 holes at 300 yards or one of the target camera systems. The target cameras are competitively priced and have some pretty awesome features, so I can't see spending more than what one of those costs on a spotting scope.

I'd be shooting at light-colored targets, so contrast would be excellent between hole and background. I have no idea if there are any spotting scopes worth a damn from $250-500, like the Redfield brand by Leupold, or if I should just commit to either a $500-1000 spotter or a target camera system.

My Kowa 821 works on .22 caliber holes at 300 yards with white/red targets. It is not the high cost coating version (fluorite?) I bought it years ago when shooting High Power, at that time price was probably around $800.00 total. The eye piece was a separate item. I have the 27X long eye relief.

With the target camera systems that are becoming available now, that is a worth while investigation.

I was briefly lent a Leupold spotter by another gun club member two weeks ago to use at 200 yards. The image was so clear that it was equivalent to being two feet from the target. Surely there must be something viable for dark holes on a light-colored or white background at 300. My only issue with camera systems is maintaining them. I maintain things for a living and have no desire to add more maintenance to my fun time.

Edited by Dr Mitch

At 300yds spotting .22 cal. holes or .30cal for that matter can be tricky, because things like mirage and humidity are starting to really have an effect on the image you see through a spotting scope. The tripod you use is also important. If you can't keep your scope from moving from vibration while you try to focus it, or the wind, or some other issue that keeps the image moving, then it doesn't matter how good your scope is.

I use a Pentax PF80 with a 20-60x eyepiece; a $1,000.00 scope, and it barely gets the job done for .30cal. holes on a warm day at 300yds., yet at 200yds. there is no problem spotting .30 or .22 cal. holes. Now, the better the glass you have, the better your image is going to be, but the atmosphere is still going to have an effect. The real question is how much you have to spend, and what are your shooting conditions. A camera system might be the better idea, unless you have to worry about a stray shot finding your equipment; in that case you may want an expensive spotter.

I take a standard cardboard IPSC target and turn it to the white side. Put a couple of shoot & see paster dots or target on it and put it @ 300 yards. Using an in-expensive Konus angled spotting scope from Dvor (Optic Planet) $159.00 20-60x80 I can see the hits with no problem. Not a bad deal and it works.

gerritm

I take a standard cardboard IPSC target and turn it to the white side. Put a couple of shoot & see paster dots or target on it and put it @ 300 yards. Using an in-expensive Konus angled spotting scope from Dvor (Optic Planet) $159.00 20-60x80 I can see the hits with no problem. Not a bad deal and it works.

gerritm

I have that same Konus spotting scope do this exact same thing for sighting my 3 gun rifle.

As other have said, a scope that will resolve .22 holes at 300 yards requires great glass and is spendy. My Leupold won't get the job done on a standard high power target. It will do it at 200 but not 300.

I use a spotting scope for more than hits. It is helpful in reading mirage for sight corrections.

If you just want to see hits a target camera is probably the way to go now.

If you are shooting high power or f class, I would save up for a Kowa of your choice.

Funny, I thought I was the only one that was having issues with this. I was shooting at 300 yards and could not tell my hits with the spotting scope unless I walked 300 yards to see the target. After a few trips, this was no fun.

Out of curiosity, what target cameras are people using? I only found one option on Midway USA. I'm not so sure I want to spend on a drone as I think I would spend quite a bit on that hobby.

I was looking at the Bullseye Ammocan Long Range edition Camera. That could be the one you were looking at on Midway. For what you are getting it seems you might be able to piece together your own package. Wireless camera, booster to pick up signal and most of us already have a tablet or device that could connect to that system (which you would have to provide for the bullseye ammocan system). I wonder if you could piggy back off of one of the available apps on the android market place.

I actually enjoy walking downrange to check/ confirm groups. It gives the barrel time to cool and I get some exercise. However when there are other people shooting I try not to do it very often.

I had a buddy help me piece together some FPV equipment off of one of my extra drones. All in was about 130. Find a good hobby shop and they can help you out.

thanks for the great suggestion. I figured there had to be a more cost effective way.