Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

exercises to build speed?

jswitt99

2 weekends ago was my first match. I moved like I was towing around a bag of concrete and looked like a baffoon.

Started a diet this week (cut fast food and booze and ate much better) and lost 4 pounds. My goal is to lose 30.

I am barrel chested and store most of my weight above my waiste. I walk anywhere from 2-4 miles a day at work, so my legs don't carry fat, but are not muscular.

I can't run from bad ankles and the fact that stopping smoking is an issue. :angry:

What are good excersises to build short burst of speed for this sport?

Have you considered biking instead of running/jogging? It's easier on the knees and will build your endurance and joint stability in your knees. If you don't have a bike or want to get one you can always look for some sort of spinning class nearby, you're in Austin so it should be easy to find one. The best advice you'll receive is to start a program slowly and make small to moderate changes, especially with a history of knee injuries and smoking. Avoid crap classes that emphasize working to death over form and functional strength and endurance.

If you have any specific questions about exercises or anything feel free to PM me for tips or advice.

CM

Have you considered biking instead of running/jogging? It's easier on the knees and will build your endurance and joint stability in your knees. If you don't have a bike or want to get one you can always look for some sort of spinning class nearby, you're in Austin so it should be easy to find one. The best advice you'll receive is to start a program slowly and make small to moderate changes, especially with a history of knee injuries and smoking. Avoid crap classes that emphasize working to death over form and functional strength and endurance.

If you have any specific questions about exercises or anything feel free to PM me for tips or advice.

CM

Clint,

Thanks!

I was into mountian biking about 5 years ago and ran the Downieville run which was awesome. I was around 185 then. My work schedule limits much free time at all and when I get home, I have to force myself to dryfire. I have had 5 years POOR health decisions that has got me to the point of 40 and bad habits...

I would love the opp to learn a new "lifestyle".

Definitely start any lifitng program slow. good form/lighter weight > heavyweights and bad form any day. Squats, kettle bell swings, etc can build lower body strength. Running and biking are great, but they will only make you good at running or biking.

Running and biking are great, but they will only make you good at running or biking.

As opposed to being good at swinging steel balls? I feel pretty confident gait movements are more important to 3-gun than squats. I'm definitely not suggesting a strict cardio routine but if you think biking or spinning won't build basic lower body strength you've never been biking or spinning.

Kettle bells are fine, but definitely not for a beginner. Even at light weights kettle bell swings are explosive movements that put a lot of strain on the back and hips, especially if you tire easily. Not attacking you in any way, but starting out with complex movements is dangerous without supervision.

CM

• 1 year later...

The best way to build speed similar to what is needed in action pistol is by doing short distance sprints. Agility and footwork drills will also improve your short distance speed a great deal. If you want to be fast over a 10 to 15 yard distance, you need to do sprints over a 10 to 15 yard distance. Doing any kind of sustained longer distance cardio type exercise will not help you at all. In fact it will most likely cause preferential development of your slow twitch muscle fibers - which will make you slower - rather than conditioning your fast twitch, power oriented fibers, which sprints and high speed exercise will do.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd second the sprints... The fastest way to get better at sprinting is sprinting, once that stops paying dividends then its time to start squatting/deadlifting/jumping/etc.

Lifting light weights slow won't do much to make you faster, you need to be explosive or lift near maximal effort (so close to a 1-rep max)- which is somewhat advanced.

You have slow and fast twitch muscle fibers or type I and II respectively (there are even subsets of type II). Your fast twitch fibers are closer to the anaerobic end of the spectrum, and they are fast and powerful. Slow twitch fibers are aerobic, slow to contract, weaker (meaning they can't propel your body from a dead stop) and have higher resistance to fatigue. The "so what?" of all the science is, you have train fast to be fast.

Edited by WeDefy

• 4 weeks later...

The best way to build speed similar to what is needed in action pistol is by doing short distance sprints. Agility and footwork drills will also improve your short distance speed a great deal. If you want to be fast over a 10 to 15 yard distance, you need to do sprints over a 10 to 15 yard distance. Doing any kind of sustained longer distance cardio type exercise will not help you at all. In fact it will most likely cause preferential development of your slow twitch muscle fibers - which will make you slower - rather than conditioning your fast twitch, power oriented fibers, which sprints and high speed exercise will do.

THIS!

• 4 weeks later...

A great way to build endurance and work on your shooting skill at the same time. Set up some steel or a target 15-20 yards apart. Choose a distance, shoot and make a hit on the first, run to the other one, repeat. Try to get 5 or 6 in a row. If you miss one, keep running but start the count over. It's a killer and it's great practice for shooting when you are spent.

Biking has helped me a great deal with endurance. Even if you don't have time to go out and ride, just a stationary bike somewhere inside will do. I've found that any "speed" I gain on the bike from doing HIIT/sprints doesn't translate at all into my legs while running a stage though. The last two months I have been working a punching bag in my basement, focusing primarily on jabs and footwork, quick stance switches etc. This has been a huge benefit for me in my last few matches. I still have a long way to go and I still walk away from every single match cursing myself for moving so slow. Having said that, my finishes are improving and people are telling me that my speed has improved.

As mentioned above, you want to end up where you can train agility drills / plyometric exercises / explosive lower body movements. Cardio is a fantastic, all-around excellent thing to do, but for USPSA, you can skip it if your ankles won't allow it.

Your biggest risk is a training injury. Move mountains, but somehow get a professional to supervise you as you start a program. They're not always tons of money, and you don't need years of sessions. You can sometimes get a few free sessions when you join a gym, or as part of your health insurance or trade or whatever. You just want to learn some baby steps, see how your body reacts, then if your body allows it, take a few more steps, etc, etc. After a while, either your body will shut you down, and the trainer can reasonably say, "You can do this much, but no more, here are some ways to get the most given your limitations" or the trainer can say, "You're GTG, take what I've taught you and also X, Y and Z", and then you take it from there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found these, well let me rephrase...if I DID any training I believe these types of drills would be benefical as it would aid in agility and quickness....

http://www.kingsportstraining.com/blogs/training-blog/8269753-10-best-speed-and-agility-cone-drills

I am the outdoorsy type though...

attachicon.gifoutdoors.jpg

This looks like potentially awesome info...

• 1 month later...

Tennis is beneficial if you want to do something other than work out. Short sprints. Quick direction changes. Visual tracking. Mental imagery. Competition. Hand eye coordination. Grip strength. If there is any mainstream sport you can do to help you at shooting sports I think it is tennis.

50 years ago when I was in high school running track, we had a weightlifter doing the field events smoke some of sprinters. Squats are great for short distance power/strength.

With the advent of science in physical fitness, especially in football, the drills they have for receivers and defensive backs has really improved their ability to explode.

Edited by pjb45

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lots of good options have been suggested. For what we do, speed is largely "explosiveness". It's pretty difficult to improve that without doing explosive exercises. Typically it's not the the initiation of power that hurts the knees, it's trying to stop after you've created the energy. If you estimate that you are 30 pounds overweight then my suggestion would be to drop all/most of that before you start pounding your knees. Stick with the low impact stuff for now. I'm gonna guess that the drop in weight will do wonders for your speed. Then you can start with some of the more aggressive stuff and your knees will not scream at you as much.

And also, I used to play tennis and had never thought about how it correlates but I agree with Rowdy. Running the baseline, both laterally and straight, squaring up before the stroke, charging the net, back pedeling your ass off, all really, really good stuff.

I do dryfire exercises that require explosive movement (like anderson's call it and leave it drill), and keep track of the times. I sure as heck don't swing kettlebells around, lol, although that hippie crap is kinda popular with the firefighters where I work.

• 1 month later...

I would agree with the folks that suggest explosive sprinting. I used to play tennis and I also think that would be a great training exercise that would not just be running. It is a sport that keeps score so the exercise is engaging. I was reading a book about shooting and the author was talking about getting faster. He emphasized movement. The author's point was that you could gain tenths of seconds with faster transitions or follow-up shots but you can gain whole seconds in faster movement.

• 2 years later...