Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

just got my used open gun

Spray_N_Prey

If your hammer is following you have a problem. Your pistol is not safe. Have the safety,sear and hammer replaced. If anything the sear. Your pistol may double or automatic.

We just had the same thing happen with my wifes Open gun. In short...she could pull the trigger through the safety. The sear was replaced. Not savvy enough to explain the details but the gun was not safe till fixed.

ok somebody help here, I had the hammer fall a few times after dropping the safety. It's only if you touch the trigger while the safety is on and then click the safety off. Can someone chime in here please.

Thanks,

Shawn G.

While just touching the trigger or pulling the trigger while disengaging safety?

ok somebody help here, I had the hammer fall a few times after dropping the safety. It's only if you touch the trigger while the safety is on and then click the safety off. Can someone chime in here please.

No only if u pull the trigger while safety is on then take safety off while not touching trigger

Thanks,

Shawn G.

While just touching the trigger or pulling the trigger while disengaging safety?

Thumb safety not fitted properly to your sear/hammer. May be easier to replace the sear to one with more meat on it and have it refit, rather than safety, if your safety is blended or chromed. Either way your gun is unsafe and need of gunsmith attention.

Thanks,

Shawn G.

If this is the "first' trip to the range with a used gun, then chances are the gun was in need of repair before it was sold. You need to get the gun to a gunsmith, preferably a smith who has experience with competition 2011s. You may not need any new parts, if your lucky some adjustment is needed. If unlucky, you might need new trigger parts. If parts need replacing, I would expect the seller to contribute to the repair. If you have put a couple of hundred rounds through the gun and it just started dropping the hammer---it is just "the luck of the draw".

I have bought quite a few used open and used limited guns. I now take used guns to my smith and have him evaluate the condition immediately.

No only if u pull the trigger while safety is on then take safety off while not touching trigger

Thanks,

Shawn G.

Sounds like you need a new thumb safety.

Edited by bkeeler

When this happens the most common problem is that to much material was removed from the thumb safety causing the sear to move when engaged. The way a gunsmith showed me how to fix this problem was to lay the safety on a vise or something firm that won't give so the the part of the safety that engages the sear is pointing up, take a small hammer and give the top of the part that engages the sear a firm tap with the hammer. This will cause the metal to spread hopefully enough to block the sear from moving. This is trial and error, if it spreads too much you can file it down. If that doesn't fix the problem then you need to take it to a competent a gunsmith since there might be other issues.

It needs to be fixed before put into action.

Are you putting pressure on the trigger when you take the safety off?

That is what I asked above and I believe he is saying when you squeeze the trigger with the safety on everything is good,and then after squeezing and releasing the trigger and then take the safety off is when the hammer falls.(finger off the trigger??) I am still confused about the question. Because if you are putting pressure on the trigger and then releasing the safety(with pressure still on the trigger) all 1911/2011 will fire.( the hammer will fall)

Edited by bkeeler

Ok, I couldn't remember which gun you bought. Its the Brazos Custom. My best guess is that the seller probably had a different grip or mag well on it swapped it out before selling. If I was a betting person I would say probably what you have is a little miss-step in assembly of the grip and trigger components. Take it to someone that knows these guns and it will probably be just a little proper reassmbly and minor adjustment of the spring.

I did the same sort of thing only thing was the gun I sold was fine I messed up mine on the assembly and had to take it to my smith, it was all good in 10 minutes after he quit laughing.

That is an awesome gun, don't get down on it, just have it looked at.

Edited by CocoBolo

no I didn't get the brazos custom. I tried 3 times and said I would take it and kept getting bump'd down the line.

It's an SV frame / STI slide.

Ok if you apply some pressure to the trigger while the safety is engaged and then take your finger off of the trigger THEN take the safety off, the hammer follows. I had a guy look at it today that knows 1911's and said the sear didn't look bad. He was wondering if the pin the holds the sear might be the problem, he said it had a little play to it and was wondering if that could cause it. He didn't know if they made an oversized pin???

I'm leaning towards the safety (at least I hope so). This really has me down in the dumps :(

no I didn't get the brazos custom. I tried 3 times and said I would take it and kept getting bump'd down the line.

It's an SV frame / STI slide.

Ok if you apply some pressure to the trigger while the safety is engaged and then take your finger off of the trigger THEN take the safety off, the hammer follows. I had a guy look at it today that knows 1911's and said the sear didn't look bad. He was wondering if the pin the holds the sear might be the problem, he said it had a little play to it and was wondering if that could cause it. He didn't know if they made an oversized pin???

I'm leaning towards the safety (at least I hope so). This really has me down in the dumps :(

Don't get too down...it's 99.999999% certain that all you need is a slight peening of the thumb safety, or a new thumb safety fit. Neither of which is all that big a deal. I would talk to the seller about it if this was the first time you've shot the gun.

If you're handy with tools, you could even fit your own. The easiest to fit are the SV units....it's got exactly one spot you have to file on. I've done a bunch of them and they've all worked out perfectly. File a little off, try it, file a little more off, try it. You don't even have to completely tear down the gun to fit them, but it's easier to see what's going on if you remove the grip safety so you can see the sear and where the thumb safety makes contact. I think there are several discussions in the gunsmithing section that cover fitting safeties with links and maybe a few photos. R,

I agree with Gman here, I had an Edge a couple of years ago that I bought one of the drop in trigger kits for and with all the parts from the kit installed it would do the same thing. If I put the original sear back it stopped, so I just needed to have the safety fit to that sear and all was fine.

The sear has been shortened, so now the thumb safety no longer blocks sear movement. The way to check this. unload gun, cock hammer, apply thumb safety, pull trigger, disengage thumb safety, hold gun with hammer near your ear and cock hammer back, if you hear a click thats your sear reengaging the hammer hooks. It moved that much because the thumb safety is no longer matted to the sear. You should hear no click. If it fell with just moving the safety off it is really short. Manny different ways to fix. Weld up safety, or get a new sear, and don't stone too much keep it as long as possible and maybe the safety will engage. Buy a new safety and refit. If you are not familiar with how the safety work take to a good smith.