Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI USPSA Single Stack

BillD

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/USPSASS/USPSASingleStack.html

I may need a new gun here. Need, as in must have....lol

Any opinions on this? I've taken a couple guns and turned them SS guns with safetys, magwells, sights, etc.

I'm thinking this would be a nice, warrantied gun to have in .45 acp.

Interested in opinions, cause I knows you guys have em.

It is not the same gun as a Trojan, it is the same as a Sentry, it has a forged and checkered frame. It is more expensive, but is really sharp. The only thing I recommend is using Wilson mags, and you may want to respring it to suit you. Otherwise, ready to go. You can call me if you want more info, as I can hold it up to the phone, or describe it to you in detail.

Edited by fomeister

Hello: Buy the Spartan in 45 and a Dillon and some reloading supplies :cheers: Thanks, Eric

I've got a 650 and a 550. Reloading isn't an issue. Running a better gun is what I'm after. I've cracked the frames on a Norinco and a Series 1 Kimber.

I too like the avatar, lol

As for STI gun, would the $700 spartan really run at the same level as the $1600 Sentry?? thats a pretty healthy price difference and oen would assume quality/feature difference as well.

Define run at the same level. Could I shoot as well with a $700.00 gun as with a $1600 gun. Yes as long as the guns run 100%. Is the quality better on the $1600 gun,yes.

Like I said it is matter of personal preference on what each individual wants in a gun. Look here.

Edited by Duane Thomas

Sorry I don't have an answer I can't get passed your Avatar! :roflol:

Really any of the STI singlestacks matter of personal preference pick the one you like and shoot the hell out of it!

He does have a fine Avatar doesn't he?

Why not just use the pink gun your holding in your avatar portrait?

I'll bet big bucks that less than 20% of the guys on this forum even noticed the gun. :roflol:

BillD, we could take a road trip down to fomeisters shop and get a hands on feel of the gun, I am in search of a proper limited gun and would like to check out various factory STI guns.

Edited by bigcraig

I have one of the STI USPSA single stacks in .45. I have some Wilson single stacks, the STI is right with them as to fit, finish and accuracy. The only changes I have made are the grips and a trigger job. The trigger was good out of the box just not as light as I like. I use Wilson 47D magazines in all of my single stacks.

BillD, we could take a road trip down to fomeisters shop and get a hands on feel of the gun, I am in search of a proper limited gun and would like to check out various factory STI guns.

I was looking at one, at Shooter Connection today. They are top of the line.

As for STI gun, would the $700 spartan really run at the same level as the $1600 Sentry?? thats a pretty healthy price difference and oen would assume quality/feature difference as well.

Yeah, it probably would run right at the same level. The Sentry might be slightly more likely to run reliably out of the box, and might be fit a little better, so it could be more accurate, but we're talking minor differences in most cases. The Senty is made of slightly better material so, in theory, it should last longer and hopefully hold it's tolerances better. In reality any one gun might not follow those general guidelines. A Spartan with a little bit of work, and maybe a few parts swaps, will be as accurate and reliable as you'll ever need for our game.

I wanted a .40 SS gun, so I went with a Trojan. If they had a .40 Spartan at the time I may have gone that route. If I was going to get a .45 SS gun tomorrow I'd probably do one of two things; order a Spartan and send it to my gunsmith for some work (trigger job, AFTEC, etc), or go with a full custom and have it built exactly the way I wanted. If I wanted something much nicer, but didn't have the time to wait for a full custom gun I'd probably buy a Les Baer Premier II and tweak it (would wind up costing as much as a full custom most likely). R,

That Spartan does look pretty nice for the money. Im sure it would treat just fine. i like th adjustable rear an FO front. the gun im planning on using for my intro to SS this year (my 5" Colt) has neither, haha. i may have to look into one of these a little harder and maybe delegate the Colt back to carry only for the future...

oh lord, i need too many guns, haha

Yeah, it probably would run right at the same level. The Sentry might be slightly more likely to run reliably out of the box, and might be fit a little better, so it could be more accurate, but we're talking minor differences in most cases. The Senty is made of slightly better material so, in theory, it should last longer and hopefully hold it's tolerances better. In reality any one gun might not follow those general guidelines. A Spartan with a little bit of work, and maybe a few parts swaps, will be as accurate and reliable as you'll ever need for our game.

I wanted a .40 SS gun, so I went with a Trojan. If they had a .40 Spartan at the time I may have gone that route. If I was going to get a .45 SS gun tomorrow I'd probably do one of two things; order a Spartan and send it to my gunsmith for some work (trigger job, AFTEC, etc), or go with a full custom and have it built exactly the way I wanted. If I wanted something much nicer, but didn't have the time to wait for a full custom gun I'd probably buy a Les Baer Premier II and tweak it (would wind up costing as much as a full custom most likely). R,

What all parts would you consider adding, just the extractor and a trigger job? this gun seems like it could actually be a deent rig for me a little down the road (im just gonna get my feet wet with what I have for now) and would be somewhat of a "budget" gun.

Edited by Corey

I have one and love it. My good friend Chuck Bradley at Shooters Connection was kind enough to fix me up. Mine is in 40. It had a good trigger on it when I got it, but i had it touched up just a bit to match my other 1911s.

If you can swing it, buy one and don't look back.

If it were all about the look of the gun I would be a GM.

http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=713

http://www.sashooter.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=716

I was going to stop in Houston on the way to the Gator and buy a Springfield Loaded to use for a SS gun, but got lost in traffic and went on to the Gator.

This is my $200 gun, yeah $140 for entry to the match and $60 to get it shipped and transferred.

In a single stack the reloading is much more important than Open, when you reload 4 times in a stage you need a good mag well and some good mags like the Wilson 47DE .065 mag pad for this gun, they have a little extra room in them that helps on the reload. Sure it has to run and the trigger needs to be about 2# crisp and short reset and accuracy is very important as you can't make up for it with blinding speed. A good load you can handle 4.3gr Clays behind a 200gr Precision pushing a 12# recoil spring. It rocks.

I'm sure the USPSA SS is a good one, but it still needs pumping up, fiber optic, trigger job, mag well, etc. And it could even use a little pimping out as well, some red grips maybe.

That Spartan does look pretty nice for the money. Im sure it would treat just fine. i like th adjustable rear an FO front. the gun im planning on using for my intro to SS this year (my 5" Colt) has neither, haha. i may have to look into one of these a little harder and maybe delegate the Colt back to carry only for the future...

oh lord, i need too many guns, haha

What all parts would you consider adding, just the extractor and a trigger job? this gun seems like it could actually be a deent rig for me a little down the road (im just gonna get my feet wet with what I have for now) and would be somewhat of a "budget" gun.

Well, I guess everyone's idea of running on a budget is a little different, but I'd get a good smith to go through the gun and check how the chamber was cut, look at the ejector, fit of everything etc. Then I'd get a trigger job done and save them some time (and labor charges) by biting the bullet for a new EGW sear and Koenig hammer. The other stock fire control parts should be fine, but you'll want a lighter mainspring (19lb is probably the most common). If you want/need a different trigger profile, now would be the time to add it. I'd add an AFTEC and an extended firing pin (McLearn is my choice, but any of the others are excellent). After that I'd just slap a magwell on it, probably drop down a couple of pounds on the recoil spring, and shoot the heck out of it. R,