Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Trojan or any Kimber

Spray_N_Prey

Ok I get a huge discount from Kimber for taking their training and nothing from STI. I have a chance to sell my para 1911 (never even shot it in a match after hearing about power extractor problems)

So if you guys had to choice, either a STI Trojan 5" or ANY Kimber. If Kimber, which model.

Educate me guys.

Shawn G.

Ok I get a huge discount from Kimber for taking their training and nothing from STI. I have a chance to sell my para 1911 (never even shot it in a match after hearing about power extractor problems)

So if you guys had to choice, either a STI Trojan 5" or ANY Kimber. If Kimber, which model.

Educate me guys.

Shawn G.

Lots of discussion here:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=866152

I went with a Trojan. I'm not as impressed with the newer Kimbers. I guess I'm a bit partial after having been the happy recipient of a 2011 frame after winning my class at an Area match (contingency program). R,

that's kinda the theme i've heard from my gunsmith. Old Kimbers or new Trojans.

+1

If you are serious about a new Kimber, buy your gunsmith lunch, take him with you and have him look it over before you buy. I have several Kimbers. The old ones are better than the new ones.

If you can only buy a new Kimber, forget about it. There are too many non-series 70 parts in there. The firing pin block safety that operates off the grip safety is not conducive to error free operation. That said, the older true 70 series guns were awesome, and I have owned some of them in the past. The Trojan is competition ready sans some new springs, and some Wilson ETM mags. Another bonus for the Trojan is that it allows you to register for Contingency Program money from STI if you should win your class at an Area match, and they support our sport in a major way, as do the STI distributors. There is a place to get a good deal on a Trojan.

Hello: What are you looking for 9mm,38,40 or 45? If it is a 45 get the Spartan :cheers: If it is a 9mm or 40 it is a toss up. I have a Kimber Eclipse that I made a 40 and 9mm and it runs great and the factory fit was great. It is about 3 years old now. I just looked the other day and have seen that the Kimbers have gone way up in price. If you get a discount I may look at the Kimbers. I like the Trojans except for the front strap dimples. Thanks, Eric

Its hard to beat a Kimber Custom II in my opinion. Yes, Kimber does not build the gun that they once did, but they still make a great gun for the money. Add a magwell, and maybe an ambi-safety and F/O front, and you are good to go. AND, it is made in the U.S.A.

Its hard to beat a Kimber Custom II in my opinion. Yes, Kimber does not build the gun that they once did, but they still make a great gun for the money. Add a magwell, and maybe an ambi-safety and F/O front, and you are good to go. AND, it is made in the U.S.A.

Actually, it's pretty easy to beat it.....call up one of half a dozen companies and order a better gun....simple. It may or may not cost more, but it's not hard.

You forgot to add: paying to pull out Sergeant Swartz, adding replacement parts and having a trigger job done and maybe adding something to the front strap for traction on top of the ambis, F/O front, magwell.....

The other big negative is they only sell the Custom II in .45 last I knew...lots of folks are shooting .40 in SS and 9mm for IDPA.

STI's are made in the U.S.A, AND they support our sport with way more than Kimber ever has...not even a fair comparison. You can also win stuff through the contingency program....oh, and you can buy one from a forum sponsor to boot :cheers:

Actually, it's pretty easy to beat it.....call up one of half a dozen companies and order a better gun....simple. It may or may not cost more, but it's not hard.

You forgot to add: paying to pull out Sergeant Swartz, adding replacement parts and having a trigger job done and maybe adding something to the front strap for traction on top of the ambis, F/O front, magwell.....

The other big negative is they only sell the Custom II in .45 last I knew...lots of folks are shooting .40 in SS and 9mm for IDPA.

STI's are made in the U.S.A, AND they support our sport with way more than Kimber ever has...not even a fair comparison. You can also win stuff through the contingency program....oh, and you can buy one from a forum sponsor to boot :cheers:

A big +1 to that!

Also it seems that of the new Kimbers I have seen the last couple of years, there was a lot more choking and puking from a function perspective. In one class we had 12 guys from one small agency who had just been issued one of the rail model guns (can't remember the model). They had so many malf's from the group of guns they were pissed and ready to trade out to there previous guns. Not scientific at all I know but just an observation.

No need to pull out the swartz. A S70 firing pin disables the system if the shooter desires, and the system does not affect the trigger pull at all. And what parts need to be replaced? Kimber stands behind their guns 100%, so if something were to break I'm sure they would cover it under warranty. Kimber does not offer a .40 anymore, but they do offer 9mm in their stainless custom target model. $.50 worth of skate tape on the front strap would provide all the grip a shooter could want without costly modification to the frame. Made in USA comment was directed towards a comparison to the STI Spartan which I mistakenly thought we were comparing. The Trojan is a great gun also, but depending on your discount with Kimber I would not count them out.

Educate me guys.

Shawn G.

Get the Trojan. I have put over 5,000 rds through mine in the last 18 mo with no hicups. It is a good, solid, accurate gun. I have a couple Kimbers as well and they are also good guns but they have slightly different shaped grip safety and front strap than the Trojan and (for me anyway) are more picky about hand placement to disengage the grip safety reliably.

Get the Trojan, a magwell and go have fun competing.

As was listed above.. old Kimber only for me. I have a pre II and love it. Clark Custom did a number on mine and made a great GREAT shooter out of it.

That being said, you get a GREAT value with the Trojan. I absolutely love my 9 mm Trojan and would not trade it.

So with current production, go with the TROJAN!!!

Shawn, you said "huge discount" on the Kimber right? I say don't waste the opportunity, take the huge discount and buy the Kimber. Neither the Kimber nor the Trojan will be completely ready to go straight from the box, but neither one will be far off, either.

I have a newer Series II Kimber in .38 Super that has been an absolutely wonderful gun. It's one of my favorite 1911s, and I own quite a few, including several high-end custom jobs. All I did on the Kimber was install a fiber-optic front sight and tweak the springs--and I've shot the gun a lot, including a 40th place finish at the Single Stack Nationals (which is not too bad for me, particularly shooting minor). The trigger pull is great, everything is tight and silky smooth, and I can't remember it ever malfunctioning. Maybe I got lucky, but I've always been really happy with my Kimber, and would not hesitate to buy another, particularly if I got a huge discount!

No need to pull out the swartz. A S70 firing pin disables the system if the shooter desires, and the system does not affect the trigger pull at all. And what parts need to be replaced? Kimber stands behind their guns 100%, so if something were to break I'm sure they would cover it under warranty. Kimber does not offer a .40 anymore, but they do offer 9mm in their stainless custom target model. $.50 worth of skate tape on the front strap would provide all the grip a shooter could want without costly modification to the frame.

Well, for starters, all of the fire control parts except, maybe the trigger. So, that's be the hammer, sear, disconnector, sear spring (probably optional), hammer strut, mainspring cap, and thumb safeties.

Personally, I'm loathe to add parts to a gun where they aren't needed...i.e. Sergeant Swartz. If you're going to disable it, why have it in the first place?

Sure, you can thrown cheap skate tape on the front strap of any gun, but it's not exactly an elegant solution. I like 30lpi checkering on front straps the best, but the chain link on the Trojan isn't bad at all....and is much better than bare.

I thought the stainless custom target was a couple hundred dollars more...that puts it right at the same starting price as a Trojan and still needs work to where most of us would want it. R,

Educate me guys.

Shawn G.

If it was a 45 and you get a good deal in my opinion it comes down to features you will probably want a gun with the following features

Ambi safety

magwell

fiber optic front

maybe an adjustable rear sight, though Im pretty happy with my fixed sights on my match pistols

the only thing a trojan has that kimber generally doesnt is an undercut beneath the trigger guard

I have both guns, my trojan in 40 needed the feedramp rewelded to be reliable

If I got a deep discount on a kimber, Id probably get a kimber

both guns are cast (as are virtually all metal framed 1911s)

My Kimber custome II had a FO front and a magwell added, its a 45 and it is very reliable

my friend has a 45 trojan and other than coming with ambi safeties and a ramped barrel (not needed in a 45) its not any nicer in my opinion

I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that Kmber frames were forged.

Also, the MIM arguemet is way overrated. A well made MIM part is just as good as a part made from barstock for 99% of all applications. Yes, MIM parts fails, but so do parts made from barstock. If you absolutely must de-MIM a gun, the sear and hammer are all that would need to go. Everything else will last for a good, good many rounds.

Again, this is just my opinion. No offense meant to any of you with differing opinions. I will soon own a Spartan in 9mm :)

I could be mistaken, but I was under the impression that Kmber frames were forged.

Also, the MIM arguemet is way overrated. A well made MIM part is just as good as a part made from barstock for 99% of all applications. Yes, MIM parts fails, but so do parts made from barstock. If you absolutely must de-MIM a gun, the sear and hammer are all that would need to go. Everything else will last for a good, good many rounds.

Again, this is just my opinion. No offense meant to any of you with differing opinions. I will soon own a Spartan in 9mm :)

I've seen more than one MIM grip safety fail. It's probably the most likely part to actually fail. The sear and hammer aren't as likely to fail, but have more influence on trigger qualities.

I don't believe Kimber is using forged frames, but it's possible. A good cast frame is fine (and the Trojan definitely has a cast frame) if not quite as "good" as a quality forged frame. R,