Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp question

Mike Singer

So I know that Front Sight just did a big article on Comps a few months ago, and it seems like I found a comp that I really like, but I'm still curios about what else is out there and what other shooters are using. I'm new to 3-gun and I love it so far, but my rifle background comes from military shooting primarily. THat being said I understand that 3gun and combat shooing are in fact different. I digress...

So other than my personal favorite (surefire), and Miculek what other comps are people using? I'm especially interested in the Noveske "Flaming Pig"

Also, Anone know what comp/brake Magpul dynamic uses in "The Art of The Tactical Carbine II" DVD?

The Noveske is designed for SBRs, mostly to reduce muzzle blast to the shooter. It isn't a terribly effective compensator, and it adds a lot of weight out on the end of the barrel to slow you down on transitions. I had one on an AR pistol, and it was great at saving my ears, but I don't think it reduced recoil much.

I'm using Cooley, Hill, and Miculek comps now and like them all. For folks like you, just starting in 3 gun, I'd recommend you either go with the Miculek, or no comp at all. The Miculek is fairly inexpensive, and is a really good comp. Sometimes I think that comps are just a crutch anyway. National level matches are still going to be won by the same shooters no matter what's hanging on the end of their barrel! Investing $100+ on a comp is not going to make you an overnight sensation.

Shoot a lot. Go to as many matches as you can. Look at what the other shooters are using and talk to them about their equipment. Try their guns if you can. What feels good to one shooter may not be so good to another. Felt recoil, and muzzle flip, are subjective things that are different to different shooters. The way you hold the gun, your physical build and how the gun fits you are going to have a lot of effect on how that gun feels to you. The effect of the comp would be secondary to that.

The Magpul Dynamics guys are running the KAC Triple Tap. It works good for what it does but $400......PLEASE. For a work gun/fighting rifle I prefer the PWS FSC556 that Dave Neth designed. For my competition guns I run the SJC Titan. I have not found a more effective comp yet. The closest thing to it is the Benny Hill Rolling Thunder. Both of those comps take full advantage of max diameter and length for tactical division.

I have 2 JP/Bennie Cooley comps and 1 Rolling Thunder. I think the Rolling Thunder works a little better. I see a bunch of both of them at matches so I would say they are pretty popular. I also see a lot of the Miculek comps at the matches I've been to. Not sure if that means they are used for effectiveness or because they are inexpensive and are sold by DPMS. I do plan to try the SJC Titan and Miculek to see how it compares to the Rolling Thunder.

Ok so I am assuming that you are interested in a comp for 3 gun use? You didn't say which division, so I'll assume tactical.

In no particular order I like the titan sjc, the rolling thunder, and the surefire. Any of those would serve you well.

The gogun comp looks interesting and I am looking forward to trying one. However I don't think it is allowed in tac (uspsa anyway) in its current form due to its size. (I believe that I saw in a thread somewhere that robert said that they were going to address that problem in the future though...)

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm actually building a work rifle, so 00bullitt had it right on the money. I'd like to know more about breaks that are best suited for a combat and CQB enviornment. $400 for a Knights Armament seems a little steep. What can you tell me about the PWS FSC556. What does it actually do?

My idea of a work rifle has a good flash suppressor, but no comp. Any comp will increase noise, distraction and flash to you and your partners. It will also give your opponent a tactical advantage with your excessive muzzle flash. The FSC556 is about the only comp I'd consider in a working gun. It has a marginally effective comp combined with a marginally effective fs. It's suppose to be quieter than other comps too. When I was ROing a 3gun match this fall, though, I noticed a significant amount of blast from guns using this comp, which surprised me.

My idea of a work rifle has a good flash suppressor, but no comp. Any comp will increase noise, distraction and flash to you and your partners. It will also give your opponent a tactical advantage with your excessive muzzle flash. The FSC556 is about the only comp I'd consider in a working gun. It has a marginally effective comp combined with a marginally effective fs. It's suppose to be quieter than other comps too. When I was ROing a 3gun match this fall, though, I noticed a significant amount of blast from guns using this comp, which surprised me.

Exactly right. I guarantee you will be assigned the door breacher, shotgun, or perimeter duties after the first time you touch off a round

in a small room or tight hallway with a 3 Gun level comp on your work gun. Unless you plan on using a suppressor over it, a comp

needs to stay off a work gun. There are a couple that only allow the blast to go out front- Noveske and Levang, but they really are not comps.

Craig

According to the tests run on the comps in Front Sight the Miculek comp is one of the top in recoil reduction and muzzzle flip. IRC it was rated at #2 or 3 in the test, way ahead of comps costing 3 times as much.

I don't buy it one bit. The Miculek is a good brake....but its far from being a Titan or Rolling Thunder. Believe those tests all you want. I don't. Its still a subjective test. Those laser traces were shot off hand. Hardly indicative of objective but very thought provoking. I think alot of folks misunderstood that and assumed them to be shot from a rest. The recoil tests could be construed as objective as I've used something similar to determine reduction in rearward travel of the firearm.

I've done a ton of my own tests and expended tons of ammo and time and money in comparisons. My mistake was never publishing any of the data on the forums. There may not be a best but there are better.

Some will argue that National championships have been won without them. I say every advantage helps. And a good effective comp is a great advantage.

Bennys comp has a high pressure chamber in front of the muzzle...and a verticle port in it.

This design does reduce muzzle rise...I find it to be a simple and effective design.

00bullitt is quite correct in his opinion that most testing is subjective.

Its not a straight forward thing to test.

I would say try as many as you can...choose what works best for you.

Jim

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm actually building a work rifle, so 00bullitt had it right on the money. I'd like to know more about breaks that are best suited for a combat and CQB enviornment. $400 for a Knights Armament seems a little steep. What can you tell me about the PWS FSC556. What does it actually do?

From what I've seen, there are two comps on the market that will work for a CQB work type environment. One is the PWS FSC556, the other is the KAC TT. I have the PWS and it works pretty durn good. I chose it because it was right in the middle of the road in the testing I've read, and it also is known for being the least objectionable comp on the market for those around it. That being said, it still has a blast to it that the person next to you won't appreciate, I actually moved the spotting scope on the bench next to mine when I did a string of rapid fire. The KAC TT I haven't used, but people who have swear it has no more blast to other shooters than an A2 flash hider while still providing comp performance just under that of the PWS comp. The drawback is the cost, think it's about $450 since it's made of inconel for use in thier supressors. I believe the DNTC comp (what the PWS comp is based off of) is about $60, so you could give it a try to see how it works out, but if you are planning on door braking CQB type stuff, you're pretty much SOL unless you want to pony up for the KAC.

The KAC Triple Tap is a Compensator and a Flash Hider. I've shot it quite a bit and it really is a soft shooting comp and the blast isn't bad at all compared to many dedicated comps. It's expensive because of the Inconel and manufacturing costs. If you are MIL/LE, contact KAC directly. I'm pretty sure that they can get you a price below MSRP, but don't quote me on that.

Mike,

Before the "flaming pig" was introduced Noveske was taking AK47 Krink style brakes and retro fitting them for use on the AR15. One of the origional comm-block versions can be seen in this pic: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1159284/P4230125b.jpg ... From what I'm told, once the supply dried up he went into production of his own version the flaming pig.

As was pointed out earlier, the device wasn't ment for reducing muzzle flip, it was for redirecting the gases and blast away from the shooter on a short barreled rifle.

At half a pound and adding 2.75" to the overall length of the barrel, it has a very narrow application:

icon-noveske-kx3-barrel-length-considerations.jpg

03designgroup | Noveske KX3 and Barrel Length Considerations extwh3.png

The muzzle brake from the Mapgul videos is a Knights Armament Triple Tap. It was effective for it's size, big draw back is the price tag. I found that the Surefire 556k muzzle brake was more effective at reducing muzzle flip:

icon-kac-triple-tap-muzzle-brake.jpg

03designgroup | Knights Armament Company (KAC) Triple Tap Muzzle Brake extwh3.png

Hope this helps

I switch from a JP to Arredondo new comp

for what its worth, I think that the Front Sight review of comps may reflect some insights to what I have actually expierenced.

my Jp/Benny C comp actually behaved the same as depicted on the review and when I replaced it, with arrendo, I "saw" that the dot bounced around in a fashion similar to what was depicted on the review.

again, different people, different "views". this is mine

as for Miculek comp i also had, same results, same "dot" bounce from my point of view. so in summary, i (maybe it is just me) can say that the review has depicted results that reflect what I see.

On my 11.5 inch barrel I use the precursor to the KX3, the original Bulgy Krink with a thread adaptor. Works great and I bought it long before they became hard to find and expensive. You can see it in my avatar. IF I was running something longer, say a 16 or 18 barrel, I would be very tempted to go with YankeeHill QD flash hider and get one of the cans to go with it. This is of course going with your stated purpose in a real life uses gun. All my guns are what I refer to as "practical" first, I simply continue to use them at matches. If you were only going to use this rifle for matches then I really recommend the Benny Hill or Miculek, they really have a good idea on what it takes to run a rifle in three gun.