Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

xl650 casefeeder jam

Hi all,

I've searched the xl650 thread, but couldn't find a fix for this specifically:

post-16562-1261049523_thumb.jpg

I reload only .40. I've reloaded about 60.000 rounds on this machine over the last 10 years. Every 300 round or so, the cases will jam like illustrated. It has done so from the start. Not a big thing, but a bit annoying.

My workbench is rock solid, and I've tried the white plastic funnel thingy (I think it's originally intended for 9mm). The white funnel makes the cases stick between the funnel and the casewheel, so that's not a fix.

I appologise if this has been covered elsewhere, I could not find it.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RegRob

What size shell plate are you using? I had

the same thing happen also, and Dillon

stated to use a LARGE shell plate? I did- it

will help, I also found that if you steady the

top to the wall it wont shake as much on the

down/up stroke! I also find that slow speed

helps keep the shells from doing just what

you are showing in the photo. A few things

to try! :cheers:

I was going to ask if you're using the small casefeed plate. According to Dillon that's what you're supposed to use for 9mm and .40 both. In my experience - and I'll admit I started out running the large casefeed plate for 9mm, didn't know any better - this can indeed give you problems with the casefeeder jamming up by trying to feed multple casings at the same time. Though in my case (no pun intended) it was the casefeed plate actually jamming up and refusing to turn because two 9mm casings would get into one slot. Switched over to the small casefeed plate, the casefeeder works one HELL of a lot better.

more than likely your case feeder is moving a bit, shaking back and forth if you will... Just like rick t said. Its hard to notice when pulling the handle and paying attention to to your work down at the dies, but I'll bet that is what is happening.

jj

These seem to be randomly spread. I never had this problem happen with the .40's, even though I load tons of them, but it surely happened on another press with 9mm, and also with the 38 Super.

There is another minor problem I sometimes see - a shell does not drop, but stays in the slot and then gets jammed against the side of the feeder, stopping the machine cold.

What can be done about this one? This has definitely happen more than once with the .40's, using small plate. Going to large plate?

And... speaking of minor issues... there is pretty high number of upside down cases of 38 Super - I NEVER see that with other calibers.

What can be done to improve that situation?

There is another minor problem I sometimes see - a shell does not drop, but stays in the slot and then gets jammed against the side of the feeder, stopping the machine cold.

Even with the small casefeeder plate I also see this one, very occasionally, in 9mm. I'm can't think of any sort of preventive maintenance for it. In any event it's no big deal: just reach up with your index finger and pop the casing up and out of the way, things free up.

Even with the small casefeeder plate I also see this one, very occasionally, in 9mm. I'm can't think of any sort of preventive maintenance for it. In any event it's no big deal: just reach up with your index finger and pop the casing up and out of the way, things free up.

Sure, that is why I called it minor issue... but usually I only notice it when the handle suddenly feels too soft. :(

Edited by Foxbat

If you want to fix the problem for good and not have to mess with the white block you need to get the round funnel (on right in photo). I now use the round for pistol and the rectangular one for rifle (so I didn’t have to buy a replacement).

post-6631-1261083864_thumb.jpg

If the opening of the clear plastic case feed funnel is rectangular, then phone or e-mail us for a replacement adapter.

I was experiencing this same problem with my 650. I have the round feeder on my 1050 and the square on my 650. I called the tech line about 2 months ago when I was fed up with it and the guy told me that the round vs square didn't make a difference. He said to clean inside the funnel with a rag with Dillon Case Lube on it. That seemed to help a little but I still have the problem.

What part number do I ask for, and if I have any problem with the guy n the phone, can I tell them to get int touch with you??

Thank you, guys.

Rigger: I have fixed the top of the casefeeder to the roof with a 25mm screw, so the casefeeder isn't moving at all.

Rolex, Duane, Seth: I thought i had the large shell plate, but I'm not absolutely sure. Will check as soon as I'm home from work :) How do I recognise the large versus the small? I don't think I have more than this one plate which is installed.

Dillon: I do indeed have the rectangular funnel. I will send you an email, thanks :)

Apart from all that, I will also try to clean and polish the inside of the funnel, but I don't really think that is the problem. The problem has been constant since the machine was new, 10 years ago. I forgot to mention that I have had cases being thrown upside down on occation too, so It doesn't seem to be an issue of friction, more a mechanical issue if you understand.

Mr Chitlin,

Ask for #22173, under warranty, as per Gary Kieft.

Foxbat,

How much brass are you putting in the bowl? Upside down cases usually indicates too much brass, preventing upside-down cases from falling out. Be sure there is not a big sttel washer under the gray plastic case feed plate.

RegBob,

large and Small plates are marked with either a big "L" or "S" molded into it.

Mr Chitlin,

Ask for #22173, under warranty, as per Gary Kieft.

Foxbat,

How much brass are you putting in the bowl? Upside down cases usually indicates too much brass, preventing upside-down cases from falling out. Be sure there is not a big sttel washer under the gray plastic case feed plate.

RegBob,

large and Small plates are marked with either a big "L" or "S" molded into it.

Dillon,

Would it be possible to get the warranty replacement at the local dillon dealer in South Africa?

Foxbat,

No, not too much. Interestingly, it doesn't happen on other cases, 9mm, .40, .357Sig, .45, or even 10mm. I only see it frequently with 38 Super. No steel washer there. I usually see 3-5 such cases per 100.

OK, so I have the large casefeeder plate (just checked) and the rectangular funnel. I guess I'll just try replacing one at a time to see what helps, even though more people seem to have had luck with the large plate than the small.

One other thing is that my casefeeder has always run the same speed, it doesn't make a difference if I choose "high" or "low". Might have something to do with the current here? We have 240 volt in Europe.

Edited by RegRob

Mo Zee,

I doubt the SA rep has any of the new style funnels. Check, but more likely you will need to e-mail us to mail one to you. No charge, except for the postage.

RegBob,

The low speed on the motor is 1 1/2- 2 RPM, and the high speed is 3-4 RPM. Low works fine for handgun, high usually works but can sometimes trap a case between the rotating feed disc and the opening in the bowl.

The low speed on the motor is 1 1/2- 2 RPM, and the high speed is 3-4 RPM. Low works fine for handgun, high usually works but can sometimes trap a case between the rotating feed disc and the opening in the bowl.

Hi Gary,

On the 4 case feeders that I know of, all in 220V, there seems to be no difference at all between high and low speed settings...

And yes, I get the (more than) occasional traped case between the rotating feed disc and the opening in the bowl.

I used to have one in 110V, with an adapter, that showed a huge difference in speed though. Maybe something for your team to research?

Mo Zee,

I doubt the SA rep has any of the new style funnels. Check, but more likely you will need to e-mail us to mail one to you. No charge, except for the postage.

RegBob,

Thanks Dillon, I am in contact with Denis who is sorting out the order for me.