Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flashlight Question

galt11

I am thinking of purchasing a handheld flashlight for myself for Christmas and wanted the opinion of those who have made the jump already. I have been considering a Surefire Z2 LED type light, like that one the UB3 or the AZ2, but then a friend told me to look at the Fenix flashlights. Can anyone pass along any advice? Thanks.

Adam

Edited by galt11

I don't have experience with the Fenix. Can't go wrong with the Surefire. I lost an E1 one winter. I didn't know where I lost it. In the spring (about 2 months later), I found it on the grass. Apparently, it went through my snowblower. It was sitting in the snow and a few scratches, but it still works.

I have a lot of Surefire lights and like them.

Co-worker has the Fenix lights and they are really bright and best of all, they use AA batteries which go on sale all the time.

I'll be getting a Fenix soon.

Adam,

depends on what you want/need. I've been sold on Surefire for years for solid, dependable tactical lights. I've got several scattered around the house. My every day carry lights though are a Fenix PD20 and a Fenix PD30. The PD20 was a Christmas gift last year. It features four different illumination intensities (~9, 40, 80, and 180 lumens) along with SOS and Strobe modes, in a tiny package that's powered by one CR123 battery. I was going through a set of two 123s in the Surefire 6P every month; I changed my first battery in the PD20 in March.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought a second PD20. The current version has slightly more power and a beltclip. I recommend it highly....

I don't have any experience with Fenix, but I am sold on Surefire. I have a Surefire E2D that goes everywhere with me. I have dropped it several stories at work and it survived. I got it before Surefire started making LEDs. I would consider an LED light because of battery drain and operating temperature though. I have used my E2D long enough on occasions that it gets too hot to hold (aluminum is a good conductor of heat).

Hurley

I have 2 fenix flashlights and carry an L1D with me all the time. It is super bright for it's size; has a tap to strobe feature; and uses only 1 AA battery. Love tem so far but haven't abused it enough yet to comment on that aspect.

I've had excellent luck with both Surefire and Streamlight flashlights and have a couple of each now. The newest one I've got is a Streamlight NF-2 LED model and it puts out a very bright, white light, with a good combination of both penetrating distance and width of beam (no idea what industry terms are used here). In other words, the center of the beam is very solid and has a good throw (distance), but it also has good lighting on the periphery. I don't think you can really go wrong with either brand. R,

OP,

if you wanna dive into a new world, then click on the below link:

CANDLE POWER FORUMS

Once there, check out the LED FLASHLIGHTS sub-forum.

I am a flashlight "afficionado," and lovez me a good light.

The LED flashlights are the brightest, and give you the best bet for long, reliable, battery life.

All the Streamlights and Surefire lights are pretty wimpy compared to the new stuff on the market. As a matter of fact, there are thingy's called "drop-in's" that can be purchased at decent prices, that can be installed into Surefire lights that will make those things light-up the sky!!

Personally, I have a few lights laying around the house.

o180275516.jpg

My everyday WORK carry light is the FENIX TK-11. For the price, this little beasty is hard to beat.

For my EDC regular light, I have my OLIGHT M20 WARRIOR. (Which happens to be my faavourite light)

My third (and most expensive) light is the DEREELIGHT CL1H V4. It is a great light, but sadly, I preferred the latter two over this one.

And my last one is the plain ole SUREFIRE 6P - with an awesome 220 lumen drop-in. (The drop-in transformed this cheap little light into a formidable eye-sizzler).

There are a few others I have laying around, but they are NOT everyday carry lights, and were just purchased for the "WOW" factor of it.

Evjoy the new world of LED flashlights. Maybe you will need to redo your Christmas list afterall.

In Christ: Raymond

PS: BATTERY JUNCTION is a great place to purchase unique batteries/battery chargers, and flashlight stuff.

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

OK. Don't laugh.

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=144

I own half a dozen high-end flashlights, but this is the one that rides in my pocket everywhere I go. Sort of like the old adage that "the .380 in your pocket is more effective than the .357 you left at home", it's always there. Despite being powered only by one AAA battery, it's damn bright and runs forever on one battery. Mine actually went through a complete wash-n-dry event, including an 1,100-rpm spin cycle (by accident). I found it while unloading the dryer and it was functioning normally on the first try.

From personal experience I'm not a big believer that 'combat' lights can or should blind an advesary. I now only expect them to identify targets at nominal distances (this one does), or illuminate menus in dark restaurants so I don't get funky food I wasn't expecting. This does both.

For ~$20, it's hard to beat.

Ooh, I love the light debate, but hands down Surefire doesnt disappoint, plus the fact that they're life time guaranteed.

123 batteries are a little pricey though, so that might steer you elsewhere depending on the amount of use.

One of the main reasons I was looking at the AZ2 and Z2 LEDS was I learned how to use the light "syringe style" and that still feels more comfortable. Those light have a groove specifically for that type of hold. That is going to be one of my main points to look for.

Adam

Galt11,

click HERE to check out a great article describing various flashlight/handgun carry techniques.

I can talk a bit more about this, but I'll just let the pro's "edu-macate-um" us.

PS: Notice the "tactical rings" on my flashlights above. They are there to help hold the lights with a handgun using various "cigar grips" - also known as the "Hargreaves Lite-Touch Technique". (I use a MODIFIED cigar grip, myself).

Edited by RaymondMillbrae

Surefire makes flashlights well, but I can honestly say I don't know WHY they make most of their lineup, or how they can charge so much for them.

I've been waiting for them to make a decent basic LED light for the last 4-5 years, and they are finally coming out with something that fits the bill that ONLY costs 180% of what the competitors do, and the one place they STILL fall down is circuit efficiency and design. Their basic stuff is a day late and a dollar short IMO, and their high end stuff, I can't fathom why you want or need half of the "features."

Probably the best lights out there form that standpoint are the Quark series form 4sevens.com, and the fenix brand of lights. Some of the same folks were involved in designing the circuits for both brands. The quarks are better built (better clip design, and square threads).

For a good, not too small, tactiacl off-on, low battery dim light mode light, the fenix TK-11 is solid. For an EDC 2xCR123 light, I'd recommend the quark 123^2 (123 squared). For a single CR123 light, it is a tossup between the quark 123 and the fenix p20d. For a single AA light, definitely the Quark AA.

4sevens also offers discounts for candlepowerforum members, search around over there for the current code.

To give you an idea of efficiency on the 123^2, at it's lowest setting with decent batteries, it'll run for 30 days.

I have a Fenix, it's a good light. Made in China, you can buy lots of Chinese lights half of Surefires price.

However price and value are two different things, Surefires on Ebay re-sell for almost new cost. Must be something to them. Surefire G2 LED's are good value for the money and probably the most often used light at our club matches.

If you want a real nice US made shooting light look at HDS Systems RA Clicky. It gives me a better grip than the larger diameter lights.

Boats

Ahh yes...

4sevens. Great people to deal with as well.

I'm glad to see this thread getting started. It's about time shooters jump on the bandwagon and open their eyes as to the great lights out there.

Technology is steadily rolling forward, and it looks like some of the "big names" we have always purchased from have dropped the ball, been left behind with their mouths open, and are running to catch back up to the pack.

Like I initially said, lights are a whole new world, and there is much to learn if you have not known about this.

As for reviews...there are a bunch of great sites out there reviewing flashlights. Look around and you will find, Grasshopper.

Glad this site is opening eyes.

I am thinking of purchasing a handheld flashlight for myself for Christmas and wanted the opinion of those who have made the jump already. I have been considering a Surefire Z2 LED type light, like that one the UB3 or the AZ2, but then a friend told me to look at the Fenix flashlights. Can anyone pass along any advice? Thanks.

Adam

At a match this summer a friend was telling me all about the Fenix models and decided that I wanted a AA battery LED model.

It so happened that I picked up a Blackhawk® Sentinel PL3-AA XTR from the prize table and I like it.

I used it for about an hour constantly while fixing wiring in a blacked out basement this weekend and it was great. Did not get too hot and plenty of light to work by. I have not abused it or torture tested it but using it a couple of times a week for 5 months I have no complaints.

Oh by the way it is currently discounted here:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/blseplxtrfl.html

And the PL1 on a hell of a closeout price here:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/closeouts.html

Thank me later.

Edited by sierra77mk

• 2 weeks later...

I have several of the Shur-fire lights & I like them all, any are a good pick.

a bit larger light is the Blackhawk -Legacy XR7- its comes with a charger for 120volt and a Car DC charger. Lithium-Ion batteries good for 1000 charges

Its nice but price-y I got it in a bundle from the Fort Benning event.

Thank you Galt11 for bringing this one up. I've been surfing the internet for a handheld you guys are talking about.

How important is Lumens in terms of Civilian use? I can see a couple i'm looking at both using the 123A Cells.

2 cell is 210 Lumens

1 Cell is 100 Lumens.

Anybody heard of the Nu-flare brand?

TIA

I have a couple of powerfull lights but for most IDPA shooing in the dark better solution for me is a wide beam and not as bright. About 100 lumens seems right All you have to do is see the target and don't want to have any hot spots or overpower the pistols sights & cause you focus on the beam not the guns sights. Plus the wide beam Lights up the other targets so you can snap your head over before the pistol is aimed on them. Our Club in the dark targets are all fairly close, no more than 15 yards I have shot some out to 35 just in case a match has a long dark target but as yet never seen that distance in any COF

Two I keep in my range bag are HDS RA Clicky with a wrist lanyard and a Surefure G2 LED with the tatical ring and the tailcap switched to clicky. Both with fairly modest outputs .compared to some lights, The HDS fits between my fingers better than the Surefire allowing a grip thats not much off my regular no light freestyle grip. It's also so small loading magazines is not a problem with the light between my fingers. The Surefire can mount on my 870 for Shotgun side matches too.

I recomend trying any of them in the dark and on paper daylight with the light in your hand switched off. This will tell you for sure what your typical groups will be compared to no light freestyle grips

Boats

• 6 months later...

[Moderator note: Merged Threads]

I know there are lots of great tactical flashlights out there. I have a couple Surefires, but I would guess that there are lots of lights out there that are as good or better that can be had without paying for the name. Which light do you prefer, are there any that you thought would be good and werent? Not looking for anything in particular, just want a new toy, maybe something different than Im used to... Thanks for the input!

Surefire E1B....small powerfull and not a bother to carry everywhere. Great battery life. All my other surefires stay on the desk/night stand. I do like the fenix TK10. Great battery life dual power output. But it's a big monster compared to the E1B.