Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger Rimfire competions...

Chills1994

Hi all,

Checking out this video link first might help:

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/?p=873

I guess in a way it's a good thing that there is a venue out there available to get kids hooked at an early age on shooting guns.

But...on the other hand.... don't we already have the Steel Challenge format?

And now we have a scholastic Steel Challenge program?

So I don't really see the need for this new Ruger Rimfire competition.

What say you?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

I guess in a way it's a good thing that there is a venue out there available to get kids hooked at an early age on shooting guns.

What say you?

I don't think we can have to many enticements to help maintain good PR and promote a new shooting generation, and to continue a positive current venue. JMO YMMV

Glock did it, Springfield did it, S&W did it, why not Ruger too. We have to continously be aware that everyone isn't comfortable in our testosterone raged race gun world, no matter how nice we really are, and if it gets people shooting, then it is good for all of us.

Hmmn...okay... I hadn't heard that S and W and Springfield Armory had dabbled in their own shooting competitions. The Glock thing.... yeah, I already knew about that.

I will have to track down the rules for this Ruger Rimfire competition. I will probably be calling up Advantage Arms today to get a weaver rail "shroud" for my 1911 conversion kit...and then I will be putting a C-more railway on top of that.

I am ASSuming that there is nothing in Ruger rules that keeps one from shooting a non-Ruger in their competitions.

:ph34r:

:roflol:

Interesting. Range commands are straight USPSA, as are safety area rules etc. Kind of a speed steel

with a little cowboy thrown in, with a division for pretty much anything that shoots 22 LR ammo.

(no suppressors or full auto). I hope Ruger promotes the heck out of it, and that it takes off and does

at least as well as the GSSF program. :cheers:

fomeister wrote:

We have to continously be aware that everyone isn't comfortable in our testosterone raged race gun world,

Oh... come on... do you really think that personalities and/or egos are so prevalent that a newbie or casual observer can spot them at their first match?

Interesting. Range commands are straight USPSA, as are safety area rules etc. Kind of a speed steel

with a little cowboy thrown in, with a division for pretty much anything that shoots 22 LR ammo.

(no suppressors or full auto). I hope Ruger promotes the heck out of it, and that it takes off and does

at least as well as the GSSF program. :cheers:

Since Michael Bane who is one of the early promoters of USPSA wrote the rules and designed much of the program, it makes sense that he would follow rules and procedures with which he was comfortable.

And Ruger is promoting this very well. With the Bane connection, they are receiving a lot of exposure on Down Range TV. They are going to expand their offerings in 2010 to something like 10 regional matches and a nationals. They are going to succeed becasue they appeal to ladies, children and hence families. They are also giving the shooters who have a desire for competition shooting a much cheaper way to enter the shooting sports.

Will some of this excitement bleed over to other types of shooting sports? Let us hope so.

fomeister wrote:
We have to continously be aware that everyone isn't comfortable in our testosterone raged race gun world,

Oh... come on... do you really think that personalities and/or egos are so prevalent that a newbie or casual observer can spot them at their first match?

Sometimes before their first match, wrong stuff they heard at the local gun shop, or at the range even. My comment was kind of tongue in cheek. I saw this the first time and had to do it, it was an addiction, but then I am not shy. I know that we can be very intimidating without even knowing it. It isn't anything we do wrong, just some people aren't assertive and want to start somewhere the talent pool is more shallow. If they see my usual squad and hear the constant joking we do with one another, they would think we were horrible. Vikings501 tells me my best steel string is a fluke, I tell him "that's all you got", someone else says "I wouldn't have done it that way" and it is all in jest, part of the fun for us, but could easily be misconstrued. If you see a squad of good shooters hazing one another, well you get the idea. What they don't see is how we all support one another and want everyone to shoot their absolute best, especially on the road. This sport is larger than life, some want to start where it is 100% comfortable.

Edited by fomeister

fomeister wrote:

Sometimes before their first match, wrong stuff they heard at the local gun shop, or at the range even. My comment was kind of tongue in cheek. I saw this the first time and had to do it, it was an addiction, but then I am not shy. I know that we can be very intimidating without even knowing it. It isn't anything we do wrong, just some people aren't assertive and want to start somewhere the talent pool is more shallow.

fomeister wrote:

Sometimes before their first match, wrong stuff they heard at the local gun shop, or at the range even. My comment was kind of tongue in cheek. I saw this the first time and had to do it, it was an addiction, but then I am not shy. I know that we can be very intimidating without even knowing it. It isn't anything we do wrong, just some people aren't assertive and want to start where it is 100% comfortable.

Some folks recently moved here and stated a club to sponsor this competition.

It was the first real match my Granddaughters shot...and they loved it :wub:

It was 4 stages shot with pistol, followed by shooting the same stages (at an increased distance) with rifle.

The match was full of kids and adults alike.

A family atmosphere and very friendly feeling was good for the kids and newer shooters.

It attracted a completely new group of competitors as well as quite a few USPSA shooters .

I think its a great thing...and we intend to take the girls as often as we can.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

If you are in NC come give it a try, I hold two Ruger Rimfire matches per month, fast and accurate is the key ( can be very fast ) and just plain fun.

Home of the Ruger Rimfire Southeast Regional Championship

Regards,

DB

www.caswellranch.embarqspace.com

fomeister wrote:

Surely you jest...... :rolleyes:

Hi All,

If you are in NC come give it a try, I hold two Ruger Rimfire matches per month, fast and accurate is the key ( can be very fast ) and just plain fun.

Home of the Ruger Rimfire Southeast Regional Championship

Regards,

DB

www.caswellranch.embarqspace.com

NC is a big state, maybe a county/ city name and range name with no abbreviations or pronouns without a proper antecedent and some dates would be in order.

Hi all,

What say you?

Yes. We need all we can get, and a junior program like this will / could feed future competitors into Steel Challenge strengthening the health of that sport.

NC is a big state, maybe a county/ city name and range name with no abbreviations or pronouns without a proper antecedent and some dates would be in order.

Caswell County, 133 Barnwell Road, Prospect Hill.

Range = Caswell Ranch LLC, 1st and 2nd Saturday of every month.

Ruger Rimfire Series, Southeast Regional Championship, July 24th and 25th 2010.

Any type of shooting promotion is good. This being family oriented makes it very important in my mind. Instesd of hearing on the news about some scumbag robbing a store wwith a gun they can do a report on the family shooting together and having fun. We need all of the positive exposure we can get.

They talked about this on Shooting Gallery a few weeks ago (maybe months ago, I have TIVO). During the coverage of the Steel Challenge, Michael Bane interviewed the guy (forget his name) who will be handling marketing and organizing the program. Aparently, he was also responsible for the other youth shooting sport recently revitalized (shotgun or air rifle, can't recall which).

Anyway, it was represented during that show was as a 'junor program and competition circuit' FOR SCSA. It was clear they meant it was part of SCSA, not in conflict with SCSA. I seem to recall during that interview they were 'looking for corporate sponorship'. I guess they found it, from Ruger.

Of course, I don't have any hard facts, just the impression it left with me...

Edited by Jeff686

I think the show you noted was talking about the scholastic Steel Challenge program, Ruger Rimfire is not the same program, both good for the shooting sports.

Regards,

DB

Edited by CRDB

I think the show you noted was talking about the scholastic Steel Challenge program, Ruger Rimfire is not the same program, both good for the shooting sports.

Regards,

DB

Oh! Well.... I'll order my egg over-hard. I hate when the yolk drips from my face.

I shot Deans first Ruger match last Saturday. It was wicked cold but had a blast. Two of my daughters are planning to go next time, one of which has I've never been able to get interested in competition. I'll work on the wife next. This seems to be a great platform for introducing new shooters as well as rewarding for the more experienced speed demons.

Some folks recently moved here and stated a club to sponsor this competition.

It was the first real match my Granddaughters shot...and they loved it :wub:

It was 4 stages shot with pistol, followed by shooting the same stages (at an increased distance) with rifle.

The match was full of kids and adults alike.

A family atmosphere and very friendly feeling was good for the kids and newer shooters.

It attracted a completely new group of competitors as well as quite a few USPSA shooters .

I think its a great thing...and we intend to take the girls as often as we can.

Jim

Jim, you, Nanci, Jared and your grandaughter are IN the video posted in the OP.