Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Normal?

Nemo

Fran and I always have the best quality time on match days. Coming back from last Satuday's match we were talking about the "ways" of today's teenagers, people his age. He tells me other Puero Rican kids in school constantly ask him why doesn't he "act" Puerto Rican and African-American kids make fun of him for not "being" black enough :huh: Anyway, somewhere towars the end of the conversation he said:

"In this school I am not normal. It seems as if it wasn't OK with anybody. I don't care, I will only be me."

An individual teenager. There is hope.

Sounds like someone who is going to do well in life. And sounds like some good sound parental advise has crept in there as well.

The other kids don't want him to be normal, they want him to be average - just like them. What's the point of striving to be average?

Edited by Graham Smith

Nice story. You have a squared away young man...CONGRATS!

I remember having the same conversation with my sons. We took a drive around town, observing some of the locals at various eating establishments and stores. I showed them what "cool" and "gansta" would get them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My mom often said, "Don't be afraid to be different." Well, that got me into trouble a few times--and produced incidents of rejection at other times--but the inherent reward was recognized in being 'different' and I wouldn't trade it for anything. It ultimately was an awareness booster and kept me intellectually sound--and far above the lemmings all around me. I didn't want to be "average" or "normal" at all. And I'm STILL doing things that are "different." Let's hear it for "different." B)

:devil:

Whenever someone mentions "normal", I think of my favorite Waffle House waitress...

In 1998 several of us from SC and GA hop in the truck and drive all night to make it to Dallas for one of our first nationwide, internet arranged group dirtbike rides. We got to Dallas in time for breakfast and stopped at a Waffle House. One of my friends, MXTuner (chronic smarta$$), asked:

"How are the waffles?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, how are they? Do they, like, look...normal?"

At this point she drops the pad and pen with her hands to her hips, looks at him for a second, and says,

"Do you think *you* look normal?"

She got a $20 tip!

Be a salmon, Swim upstream.

You'll get banged around, but the trip and the places you go along the way are worth it. It is not the easy path. Many make an attempt, however only a few make it. Don't let minor setbacks deter you. The goal is always upstream and to windward.

Jim

Edited by Jim Norman

Our 16 year old was complaining to one of her school mates that I wasn't cutting her any slack. The other girl said, "if he's going to be like that, you should just go live with your Mom".

"I DO live with my Mom. And she only backs him up".

"Wow.....your pretty much screwed."

• 1 year later...

I call it the "crab pot syndrome". If there are several crabs in a pot and one tries to climb out, other ones will come over and drag him down. In human terms, people who will not make anything of their lives don't want any of their peers to be successful either. It doesn't end well for the crabs that stay in the pot. It's not about color or heritage. It's about behavior. Kudos to Fran! :cheers:

Edited by Toolguy

• 2 months later...

First of all.....congrats :cheers:

May be a a little off topic...

Just the other day I was speaking with a co-worker, who's step daughter turned down a full scholarship to a excellent university. The reason???

Get this....

"I wont fit in"

WHY BE NORMAL?