Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Law Officers/Fireman And The Mustache

I've often wondered why, regardless of the current and past trends, the mustache has been more prevelent among these professions. Heck, for a while it seemed you rarely saw either without one. Kinda like my wife and I being the stand outs at a wedding in the NW this year without any tattoos.

Is there some sort of unwritten code? "Hey bro, you need a 'stache to hang out with us." Or is it just that birds of a feather hang with eachother?

Just curious.

JZ

I've often wondered why, regardless of the current and past trends, the mustache has been more prevelent among these professions. Heck, for a while it seemed you rarely saw either without one. Kinda like my wife and I being the stand outs at a wedding in the NW this year without any tattoos.

Is there some sort of unwritten code? "Hey bro, you need a 'stache to hang out with us." Or is it just that birds of a feather hang with eachother?

Just curious.

JZ

Ex-brother in law that was a LEO told me that he grew his for two reasons.

1) They were not allowed any facial hair except a neatly trimmed mustache.

2) (this is the important one) For some reason, people would react to him differently and follow his directions better as if he had more authority/presence just because he had a mustache.

Apparently the whole "You are more of a man if you have facial hair" has some truth to it according to what he said. :)

Disclaimer: I am not a Law enforcement officer, but I did stay at a holiday in last night! :P

Texas DPS prohibits any facial hair unless the Agent is working UC and needs it for that reason. I always try to grow a goatee (sp) when I'm on vacation, but my beard sucks :angry2:

Edited to add: We do have a few females that have them and nobody tells them to shave!

Edited by rangertrace

Does that mean Freddie Mercury was UC?

Ouch!

I grew mine to offset a "percieved" baby face and because my father alwayse had one (teacher).

I have kept it because my boss kept confusing me with another engineer who hired on at the same time (civil not fire now).

Most of the CalFire personell that I know are clean shaven now. PD it seems to be a 6 of one and half a dozen of the other

I think that is something that comes and goes, too. From 1992-2003 (at least in Arizona and Washington) it was very common among traffic/motor cops, but not among other officers.

Over the past 3-5 years, it seems that the shaved head thing is big, especially with younger officers.

Way back those aviator glasses were "it."

The last place I worked allowed "neatly trimmed" mustaches until a group of officers sued, saying that they should be allowed to wear BEARDS. That was a disaster. Some horrible horrible horrible beards. I don't mean good looking goatees........I mean grizzly adams mountain man stuff. Horrible.

Long shaggy beards combined with some very f-a-t officers just looked horrible, both for the individual and the dept.

FY42385

If you use air packs its a real bit@# to get a seal with anything more than a stach.

Too True!

My Sam Elliot style was hard to get to seal too. Of course it was fun to have the moustache to tease the Engineer who couldn't grow one :cheers:

Edited by Modoc