Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting on the move

38supPat

A dry fire practice is simple but it works for me, is when I'm done shooting at 35 & 50 yards and walking forward to check my target I get my sights on the target and see how little I can bounce. I figure if I do it enough I will get smooth one day. I also zig zag to the target. If it helps me I guess it will help anybody.

Buncha targets in a row, box on the left, box on the right. Start in a box and engage the end target, engage the middle targets while shooting and scooting, and engage the the other end target from the other box. Tests your in-and-out movement as well as shooting on the move.

Stay low! Cross the legs if you are going side to side. Never fire as the foot falls.

I know a local shooter who can shoot accurately on the run at 8/10ths of his full sprint pace. I have no idea how he does it. I shoot on the move at maybe 2 or 3 tenths my sprint pace.

I've observed, with some, you can see it is totally natural to shoot while moving, while others (I'm in this category), have to work at it.

In the old days, I practiced running around the back yard, holding a glass full of water in my shooting grip. In the later days, I practiced running around the range, shooting targets while placing my attention on the soles of my feet. I "noticed" I can move extremely level when I am aware of my feet sort of "gripping" the ground as I move. I know this is a weird one, but I'm weird. I've got others to feel it also, so there must be more weird ones out there.

be

Matt Mclearn taught me how to shoot on the move and he was the smoothest I ever saw. I'm actually fairly natural at this but Todd told me that it will be an important skill to work on in the days ahead. Sound like most of the big guys are using it more, especially with the more open courses of fire mandated by the new rule book. However I'm always looking for good drills. I'm going out tonight to work on my 'mojo' but I'll list Todds drill tomorrow.

I visualize (not the right word because its more of a feel) the soles of my feet being round, and i feel for the roll from heel to toe.

Pat

Pat,

You still have me spilling coffee all over the house.

There is a drill on the SportsShooter site called the Square Drill.  

http://www.sportshooter.com/improving/square_drill.htm

You basically make yourself a 6-8 yard box, move around the outside of the box.  You engage your targets on each leg of the box.  You get forward, backward, left and right.

• 2 weeks later...

Travis,

I just read your response on Henning Walgren and his shooting on the move. You are right, he is incredible on the move, but when you are 6'8" and every step you take is like 4 of mine or everyone else's, it really helps!  

Just kidding,  Kevin

• 5 months later...

Had to dig deep into the forum to find this thread

I have been getting an interesting "feel" when shooting on the move.

I am moving across a huge sheet of paper.  Putting my feet down, and picking them up without leaving a mark.

Seriously.

Avoid sliding, or scuffing as the sole of the foot touches down, then up.  Its like the foot goes forward, then just before it contacts the ground, forward motion stops, and the foot comes gently down, speed matched with the ground.  The foot gets lifted straight up slightly before being moved forward again.  You might think of it as catipillar tracks moving under you.

• 4 months later...

As Ron mentioned in the need for speed thread about shooting on the move, I have a question on technique.  As a newbie I know that I should do it, but finding that good technique is not there.

I can't seem to find a rhythym...do I shoot off of the left foot each time it touches down, or the right, or do I fire each time a foot touches down?  Or do I let the COF dictate which is used?

I'm fairly new at this, so I haven't given too much thought as far as the technique is concerned, but I believe keeping it simple works well.

By that I mean I don't worry about what foot I'm stepping off/on, I just walk as if I'm walking on dry leaves in the woods and trying not to make noise (rolling heel-to-toe).  

At home, whenever you can, practice keeping the perfect sight picture on something small like a light switch while your moving to the fridge to get another beer.  On the way back you can work on single handed movement.

When I miss while shooting on the move...

-  I don't have enough bend in my knees

-  I have fired while my foot is planting.

It is real easy to tell if I fired while planting my foot.  I usually get a dead-center hit and a Mike.

(I now think of each foot fall as planting, no matter how hard or soft I let the foot down.  I don't want to shoot while palnting a foot.)

I throw cans on the backstop and practice shooting them. It is very easy to get sloppy with movement shooting so I refine my acceptable target slop to this appx six inch group. A fast miss is a bad thing. Ditto on the shoot on the upstroke.

My thanks to all of you...took the information to heart and have been walking around heel/toe versus "walking".  

Feels good, but will have to see how it plays at next weeks match!

Matt Burkett says to practice with a  clear water bottle 1/2 full and walk in all  directions without moving the water.

The water movement is like your sights moving.

I have noticed that the top shooters always shoot while moving taking what appears to be small heel-toe steps very quickly.

I love shooting on the move even though I have alot of work ahead of me to perfect it...LOL.

Happy Easter.

TG