Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solutions for the 43oz Single Stack?

JoshF

All the NM frames I've seen have a VERY wide trigger and that PITA spring and depressor on the sear (extra two parts that NO other 1911 has). My work gun is a NM and EGW was the only source I found for an aftermarket trigger that I could make lighter.

Interesting trigger on that Blaster

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the NM frames I've seen have a VERY wide trigger and that PITA spring and depressor on the sear (extra two parts that NO other 1911 has). My work gun is a NM and EGW was the only source I found for an aftermarket trigger that I could make lighter.

Its his reverse curve. It takes a little getting use to but he seems to run it ok :-)

Its his reverse curve. It takes a little getting use to but he seems to run it ok :-)

I don't like the reverse curve, but the textured trigger was what I was referring to

I'm not talking about the Colt National Match 1911 aka Gold Cup. There are plenty of guns using "National Match" frames that feature standard width triggers.

Ah, yes. I forget sometimes that not all NM's are Gold Cups. I also forgot my point in bringing up the GC version: Since the frame is cut out for the bigger trigger, the frame would weigh less.

The texture part is from my 20lpi file.

I think that Trojans are just naturally heavy, particularly in 40. Mine is set up almost exactly like my Kimber 45, but weighs 1.6 oz. more.

Perhaps it is that MUCH bigger hole running down the center of the barrel.....

About the only differences between mine and Josh's are the grips and the S&A MSH. Mine are wood and arched. My gun weighs 42.0 oz.

I have been playing with my 1911 as well lately to make the 41 oz IDPA limit. It is a pain let me tell you. Depending upon the frame manufacturer it is either over or just under. Of course my favorite Les Baer .45 is over by a good bit with a FLGR, and SA MSH magwell. My backup gun for the GA state match just got weighed on our Pitney Bowes machine and it came in right at 40.1 oz. That is with a Wilson FLGR, Magchute, and stock grips. I have found the biggest reduction oother than the FLGR is the grip style. A plain set of cocobolo's are usually very light and will tend to bring you into compliance. The newer grips are what push the limit and unfortunately those are the ones many of us like to use.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So, with my wilson mags I'm at 42.7 and with my Tripp mags I'm at 43.1. I use both mags and prefer the tripps so I need to get lighter.

Does anyone know the weight difference between the steel full length guide rod and the aluminum full length guide rod???

Edited by tpcdvc

So, with my wilson mags I'm at 42.7 and with my Tripp mags I'm at 43.1. I use both mags and prefer the trips so I need to get lighter.

Does anyone know the weight difference between the steel guide rod and the aluminum guide rod???

The Briley one will be enough to bring you in under 43. I don't have a postal scale but its about the weight of a GI steel rod I think.

So, with my wilson mags I'm at 42.7 and with my Tripp mags I'm at 43.1. I use both mags and prefer the trips so I need to get lighter.

Does anyone know the weight difference between the steel guide rod and the aluminum guide rod???

The Briley one will be enough to bring you in under 43. I don't have a postal scale but its about the weight of a GI steel rod I think.

Thanks Corey, I will have to order one I guess.

No problem boss. Here is a post I made a little while back with my mods to give you an idea.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97304

No problem boss. Here is a post I made a little while back with my mods to give you an idea.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=97304

Thanks man. My problem is that this frame started out as a SS long dust cover, and Derek cut it, and made a rail out of it. He did his usual great job but it is still a good bit of metal out there. I've cut about all I can from the frame under the grips. The problem started when I changed to the Dawson magwell. It added about 2oz to the gun since I had an all aluminum S&A on there before. Hopefully the Briley will get me to a comfortable weight.

Update:

So the aluminum FLGR is .9oz lighter than my steel one. Also the G-10 (mil-tac) grips are oddly enough .9oz heavier than the standard wood grips I have. So, I can go lighter grips or lighter guide rod or both.

What say ye?????? :wacko:

Update:

So the aluminum FLGR is .9oz lighter than my steel one. Also the G-10 (mil-tac) grips are oddly enough .9oz heavier than the standard wood grips I have. So, I can go lighter grips or lighter guide rod or both.

Which would you rather have - more weight on the nose to reduce muzzle flip, or more weight in your hand to reduce felt recoil? Sounds like six of one, a half dozen of another.

Semi-thread jacking in progress here so i apologize, but does anyone know the weight of an empty CMC 8-round power mag? i cant seem to find it and it has me slightly worried now, haha.

thanks!

Interestingly enough, I had an opportunity to weigh my gun tonight. I was at an IDPA S.O. class and the instructor brought a scale. My .45 acp Trojan weighed in at 42.0 ounces. Bugger me, it's 1 oz overweight for CDP, but the good news is it's 1 oz under weight for Single Stack. This was with an empty CMC mag.

The Trojan is stock except for Larry Davidson's Horned Lizard G-10 grips and an S&A steel arched MSH/magwell. I had Larry reduce the weight on the Horned Lizard grips but relieving the backsides of the grip panels, which helped to keep the weight down. Since I have an IDPA match tomorrow, I swapped out the steel magwell for an aluminum S&A arched magwell that I happened to have on hand. I'm not sure of the exact weight savings, but it is noticeably lighter than the steel one. I'm fairly certain I'm under 41 oz now. I guess I'll know how it shoots tomorrow...

So between the grip weight reduction and aluminum magwell, hopefully that's enough to bring my Trojan below 41 oz. Just throwing that one out there. If not, I may have try that Briley FLGR.

Cheers

Update:

You could mill a little out from the grips. Do you have a TI hammer strut and cap? not that its going to save much but every little bit. Ambi safeties? Use oil as a lube or grease? How close are you?

Update:

You could mill a little out from the grips. Do you have a TI hammer strut and cap? not that its going to save much but every little bit. Ambi safeties? Use oil as a lube or grease? How close are you?

I'm right on 43oz right now. I would like to loose .6oz just for a cushion. Craig at mil-tac said he is going to help me out with the grips (not sure how much weight he can take off of the G-10 grips, we'll see). I really like my grips and not crazy about loosing the weight in the front of the gun either. So it's kinda a rock and a hard place deal. <_<