Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Really Disappointed

tightloop

Man, I can't tell you how upset I am at the results of my chrony work with VV N320.

Loading 5.4gr under 200gr H&G 68, Fed 150 primers, COL 1.250, crimp .470. This is 3 strings of 15 rounds each. Once fired WW brass. All rounds weighed on a RCBS digital scale and checked on a Redding beam scale.

Low of 812

High of 878

Es of 66

Avg 844

SD 26

Primers are a little flat, recoil is a bit snappy, but ok.

Tried 5.3 grains with the same data as above.

Low 805

High 823

ES of 18

Avg is 816

SD 9

Primers look like you had spread them on the face of the case with a butter knife, one punctured primer.

Why can the numbers be so great for 5.3 and get such terrible pressure signs; while at .1 gr more, numbers go to hell and no pressure to speak of.

Same three strings of 15 ea with 5.3.

Hey TightLoop, You'll love N-340. Use the data from VV and you'll be in the ballpark.

I use 340 in 9mm, 38sp, 357, & 45ACP. Keep it a LITTLE on the warm side and there's virtually no flash, very clean, and the recoil impulse, although a little heavier, is slower and much more controllable.

Bert

That's because you can only compare pressure if you are comparing loads with the same primer. The cup on Winchester primers is noticeably harder than it is on Federal primers, so Federal primers will show more pressure than an identical load with Winchester primers. Even though the actual pressure may be similar between the two loads. You cannot read pressure by looking at primers.

tl,

You might try duplicating your test (exactly as above) on three different days and see if you get the same results. Maybe even add a 5.5 gr load to the test.

Over the years, I've seen soooo many results (like yours) that don't make sense, eventually I stopped trying to figure it all out. It's voodoo.

be

Well, just tell me if you think I am chasing my tail.

I believe that if I could find a powder 20 yrs ago that was clean, consistent, soft shooting, accurate and metered well, damn it, there should be one today too. I could be wrong, and if you think so, just tell me, cause I don't have the time or patience for voodoo.

Mr Loop,

My last HG68 lead bullet data is below:

Powder Load OAL H/L AVG ES SD PF

N320 5.1 1.242 925/900 903 25 7 180.6

N320 4.8 1.242 893/852 866 41 12 173.2

N320 4.7 1.242 844/807 827 37 15 165.4

These were done with WIN 1x brass and WIN Large Pistol primers. The barrel was a 5" Kart. Not sure what this means compared to your data. Consider the weights +/- 0.1 grain accuracy. These loads shot great and were very accurate. I just got sick of the smoke. Usually not a problem outside (except for the gagging RO <_< ) until you get into a confined area like under a table. Phew. Went back to a plated SWC which with 5 gr I get ~ 171 or so.

Take Care,

Chuck

I use 5.0 grns of N320 with a Lightning Bullets 200 LSWC at 1.240 - 1.245" with great results. I am getting a consistent 840 -845 fps in both a Para and a Colt Series 70. I am using Winchester LP primers and various brass (my 45's will eat anything). The load feels good with not much muzzle flip. Perhaps it is your primers? Just a thought.

Jack

Anything you can share about the pistol? Is it new? A new barrel? Could there be a tight chamber problem? A tight chamber can give you fits when working up load data. I had similar problem about four years ago after a pistol was rebarreled and traced it back to a very tight chamber. Once it was reamed to spec the pressure problem went away.

It is not a pistol problem, in fact we are using two different pistols to test to try to eliminate that very thing.

I think it is the Fed primers we are using. Went out today and tested some WST.

4.4 gr WST 785 hi 758 lo 771 avg 27 es 9 sd

4.5 gr WST 803 hi 771 lo 782 avg 32 es 11 sd

4.6 gr WST 811 hi 773 lo 796 avg 38 es 15 sd

Need another tenth or two to make it to major, but look at this.

5.7 gr WW 231 858 hi 838 lo 848 avg 20 es 8 sd

I know it is dirty and has some smoke, but this is the best consistency I have found yet and the primers look good.

Maybe us old shooters should stick to old powder...on top of that, it isn't hard to get and is cheap.

thightloop,

Maybe your COL is to much. If the front guiding band is to close to the rifling you get inconsistencies because there is some variation in the bullet-front. Try seating 0.04"less.

I've been using 185, 200 and 230 with lead, plated and jackets, without any problem.

My last load was a RN plated bullet at 228gn with 4.9gn N320 for a PF of about 174. The COL was 1.25"

John

GvU

My first post shows COL of 1.250, same as yours.

Bkeeler

My first post shows trying Clays, and not liking it, as I thought it was too fast for the recoil impulse I was seeking.

Going out again next Tuesday with some 4.7WST, 4.8 WST, and some 5.6 WW 231.

I will let you know.

Titeloop........

I think you found the powder your looking for in WST.

WST shoots softer than anything in major for both 40 and 180's and 45 and 200's, although Clays and 230's is still the sweet major load....all IMHO of course.

Cheaper and widlely more available than N320, meters great, acceptably clean, low flash.

TR

Tightloop

I know the COL is the same but there is a difference between SWC and RN. Mine (SLM) has plenty of "freebore" (something like 0.08"). Sorry about the confusion.

I was confronted with the erratic velocities when I loaded short (180 gn) hardcast SWC's as far out as I thought possible, that was close to touching the rifling (powder then was "Unique"). Backing off the rifling considerably produced much improvement in velocity-spread (and lower velocities).

As far as I could determine the variations in the (almost no) jump to the rifling contributed to large variations in pressure with this much slower powder. The much faster N320 will show this behavior sooner.

5.6 W231 will probably do the job as well with the 200gn SWC, the PF may be a bit higher than needed. Bullseye also works well.

My experience with N340 in 45acp is not as good as with N320, to much velocity spread. N340 needs higher pressures that I like in a 45acp (produces a too high PF as well).

John

• 1 month later...

tl,

Strangely enough, like you I was recently experimenting with N320 and 200-gr. LSWCs. I had the same experience: high ES and SD, very dirty. I discussed this with Bruce Gray and he said that in his experience N320 is not a good powder for cast bullets, especially in a low pressure cartridge like .45 ACP. In higher pressure cartridges with jacketed bullets, according to Bruce, it's very, very good, with much more consistency and cleaner burning.

Going out to the range later today to chrono some 230-gr. LRN with Clays. I have high hopes.

Guest Larry Cazes

Tightloop, I've been loading .45acp with WST and 200 grain bullets for about 6 months and I love it. As you've found it is relatively clean, very consistent, temp. stable, soft shooting, and meters well out of a dillon measure. I am loading 200gr RN westcoast plated with mixed brass, winchester SP primers, and 5.0 grains of WST. OAL of 1.260 and this load makes 168pf no problem.

Larry