Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is this Dillon press worth $100?

A guy has a 550 that he's wanting $100 for. These are the pics he sent me. What you see is what you get. I own a 650 and 1050, but want something for my low volume stuff. He says the shell plate is 30/06 head size so that would take care of one shell plate right there. He says the ram moves free and there is no rust on it. I want to load 44 mag, 30/06 and a few other low volume rounds that I don't want to spend the $$ on conversion kits for the 650. I know nothing about the 550, but to me it looks like it may have some parts missing (besides the powder measure bar).

Here's the pics...

dillon1.jpg

dillon2.jpg

dillon3.jpg

dillon5.jpg

dillon4.jpg

Edited by Mr. Chitlin

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I will be shelling out a "C" note tomorrow.

Don't even mess with it, just box it up and send it to Dillon. They will have it looking brand new and back to you in a week.

+1 on dillon rebuilding service, top notch :cheers:

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like I will be shelling out a "C" note tomorrow.

Don't even mess with it, just box it up and send it to Dillon. They will have it looking brand new and back to you in a week.

+1 on dillon rebuilding service, top notch :cheers:

Three people viewing this thread right now. I bet if it was local to any of us we would all give $100 for that press and send it right back to Dillon for the Rebuild Dillon offers.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I bought the press and sent it off to Dillon to work their magic. If it didn't say 550 on the side, I'd think I had a new 550B. It looks like everything except the main frame and ram were replaced. I couldn't be happier. This is why I will only have Blue on my reloading bench. I not only have the 1050 and 650 on the reloading bench, I'll now have a 550 to compliment them.

I shipped it on Thursday, they received it on Tuesday and I received it back the following Wednesday. 14 days door to door.

Here is a cell phone pic of when I opened the box...

550-1.jpg

I paid the $44.95 for the rebuild and $16.15 for the powder system upgrade. Here's the bottom of page 2 of the parts list that was replaced...

550-2.jpg

Total cost on parts: $402.69. Total charged to my CC: $61.10

To say I'm pleased is the understatement of the decade.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...