Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Outrageous Transfer fees

North

My old gun shop closed, his wife died and he just didn't feel like dealing with the BATF anymore.

Fast forward today, I want to get a new trojan and I call the "other local shop" and ask what they are charging for a transer fee these days, :surprise: $100 bucks :surprise: ; I laughed and said I'll drive to the next town.

That is crazy for just a few minutes of work.

But crazy prices are why I stopped giving them my money in the first place.

my gunsmith used to do it, butgot fed up with the feds on the last inspection that took 3 days and pulled him off of his machines that make him money, so he turned us all to another in town who had an FFL, goin rate was 100 bucks....seemed to me the price of doing business here on the left coast where its gettin harder an harder to find someone who will deal with all the federal and state paperwork...we wouldnt be in this mess if were notforthat one news sound byte yrs ago that mentioned there were more FFL dealers/owners than McDonalds in this state.....

The closest shop to me charges $80. I also laughed and asked them why I shouldn't just get my own FFL? I went on AR15.com and asked if anyone does kitchen table transfers in the area for cheap and found a guy who quoted me $20 + $5 for any others on the same form. After I talked to him, he charged me $10. Isn't the internet great? :cheers:

In South Louisiana most places charge $15-$20 for a transfer. With time used to fax ffl, receive firearm, record, notify owner, fill out form, call in, and log out firearm the dealer is probably spending 15-30 minutes.

$20 is fair and $50 is robbery.

If a good smith gets about $80.00 an hour on his machinery & has to stop, open package, Log it in the book, fill out white sheet, call it in, & log it out. All this takes about 30 minutes of his time. $ 40.00 per gun is about right.

FFL transfer fees are capped by law in this state. Most charge around $50. Are you certain there is no such law in your state?

I believe you're referring to private party transfers, transfers from an ffl out of state to your ffl are different and more expensive, and involve sales tax.

That's my understanding of it, if not the case I want my money back :roflol:

Kevin

Class 3 transfers run about $100 around here but regular ole transfers are $20-$50. I quit going to the $50 transfer shop though. It wasn't that they felt the need to get better compensation, they were trying to curtail buying elsewhere and having them transferred. Guess what? I don't buy or transfer there anymore...

Class 3 transfers run about $100 around here but regular ole transfers are $20-$50. I quit going to the $50 transfer shop though. It wasn't that they felt the need to get better compensation, they were trying to curtail buying elsewhere and having them transferred. Guess what? I don't buy or transfer there anymore...

I can sort of understand not wanting to take business elsewhere. But at the same time if you are buying something they don't or won't carry... And if it's a custom gun you can only get from a smith like a Millenium or a Benny Hill... I guess I would be behind a tiered fee. $20-$40 for something they can't get. $60+ for something they can.

I'm pretty excited though. I found out yesterday one of my good friends is meeting with the ATF today to finalize his FFL!! :cheers:

If a good smith gets about $80.00 an hour on his machinery & has to stop, open package, Log it in the book, fill out white sheet, call it in, & log it out. All this takes about 30 minutes of his time. $ 40.00 per gun is about right.

So if a customer comes in and discuss for an hour on what to do with his gun, he should be charged $80 for that discussion on top of what he has to pay for the work? I see where you are coming from, but that's part of doing business. If the smith finds that the machining is more important and cannot take care of a customer, maybe he should not offer that service.

I can sort of understand not wanting to take business elsewhere. But at the same time if you are buying something they don't or won't carry... And if it's a custom gun you can only get from a smith like a Millenium or a Benny Hill... I guess I would be behind a tiered fee. $20-$40 for something they can't get. $60+ for something they can.

The only guns I buy anywhere other than the local shops are guns they can't get or deals too good to pass up. When I decided to buy an EMP, I went to both my local shops and waited 6 weeks before going to the net to buy one (that I ended up getting a $400 discount on!).

They have gotten more expensive this year, though. Transfer used to be $20, now its $30 at one shop and $40 at another.