Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 vs EAA/Tanfo Limited...worth 2x the money?

jmleenz

Can anyone with experience with the 2011 S_I types AND the EAA/Tanfoglio models comment here...

I'm looking for a solid and reliable Limited USPSA gun. More specifically I am comparing the STI Edge (and its variants) to the EAA/Tanfo Limited 40. Both seem to have similar features (handbuilt, match bull barrel, full 5" dustcover, mag capacity, extended controls, magwell, etc.) but the STI commands about the twice the price! Furthermore everyone recommends getting the "reliability" or "enhancement" packages for the 2011 which make them even more expensive.

Are the 2011s really worth 2x the price of the Tanfos? There is obviously a larger aftermarket for the 2011 S_I types but what really accounts for the large price difference? Accuracy? Reliability?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

The Tanfoglio magazines are the only real weak-point at the moment. If you resize the whole .40 case then you won't have any problems with them. Hennings parts will enhance the gun considerably and even if you bought all of his available upgrades it will still be significantly less than a 2011 platform.

Is one better than the other ? That's a personal preference, I've shot both types and I much prefer the ergonomics of the Tanfoglio.

Accuracy is about the same, for the distances we shoot at I don't think there is an appreciable difference.

The importance of the price is up to the end user.

I shoot a 2011 gun but have shot and work on the Tanfoglios quite a bit. If I wasn't already shooting a 2011 and felt pretty good with it I'd go the Tanfoglio route. The only downside I see is aftermarket and Henning is addressing that at a pretty good rate. They are super easy to work on, accurate, feel great in your hand and the magazines will hold 21rnds without $40-60 of "tuning" on top of the spring/follower/pad that S_I's require. If the gun feels good to you I'd say run with it. As Henning can demonstrate it will take anyone as far as they want to go, except you may have to practice more then him :rolleyes:

Edited by JoshF

I would look at the STI Eagle 6 inch with a bushing barrel, add a Ice magwell and a fiber optic front, buy STI 140 mm tubes from Brownells's add Dawson followers, Dawson SNL's pads and ISMI springs and go shoot. Pass on all the "Tuning" If you buy a factory gun from STI STI will make sure it shoots, if it doesnt let STI take care of it dont pay a 3rd party to get a $2000 gun to run. I really dont understand why so many people find that ok.

The STI has more parts available, higher capacity, and is available in 6 inch, buckiong the trend can be a lesson in frustration. There is a reason STI dominates USPSA.

Really depends.Tanfoglio is very big in EUROPE as suppose in U.S.

with the lower price of Tans vs STI, people do think of switching over. +1 on Henning since

he really is getting the Tans to be competitive in U.S. I have both worlds so I get

to play with both TOYZ. Personally, I tend to over swing with the TANS with no practice.

But with time, you'll manage to shoot it well. Its all in PRACTICE.

NO, 2011s are not worth twice the money. Why do 2011s dominate, because the Tans are new to the marketplace, over time, the shift will occur, and it has been. In terms of ease of maintenance, reliablity and ergonomics, I'd give the edge to the Tans. The 2011s, at least in my hands, are a tad bit more accurate, but nothing remarkable. Two years ago, there were not that many out there. I had to beg Blade-Tech to make a holster (and Henning had been long before that). Now you seen one on almost every squad, and many in the top tiers as well. All that said, except for Henning, Tans are not marketed as heavily, they don't sponsor much of anything and they (again excepting Henning) don't offer very good service. YMMV

Tanfoglio's service is there..just very slow. I believe Henning is changing that

as his customer service is EXCELLENT! not to mention he has Rich from Canyon Creek

that also know how these guns work! I also want to add that back in the 90's, a lot of

the top shooters dropped Tanfoglio because the guns were breaking left and right.

This is due to the minimum power factor at the time were 175! but now that its 165..

I trully believe that as they say.."P9 platform will come back" WHY? cheaper, reliability is getting there(thanks for Henning's better parts!!)

better ergonomics and really great looking guns for the $$. As for STI, there's a lot of shooters, market, business(gunsmiths) and after market parts for it.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

The reason that the guns broke in the 90's was because the metal was not right. The frame was too soft. A gun maker (John Slough) measured the hardness of my gun and said it was a wonder it hadn't fallen apart. The guns are now significantly stronger than they were in the 90's.

Will you move up a class switching from one to the other? I'd be shocked. Will you improve faster with one over the other? I'd be surprised. Will you like one over the other? Almost certainly but it is going to be a personal preference. The one advantage to the S_I platforms is there are a bazillion parts out there for them both OEM and aftermarket. Henning has made Tanfos a viable option through his amazing service and custom parts but service from the Tanfo factory is simply not on a par yet with what you get with S_I. It is being worked on but IMHO it just ain't there yet. I like the feel of a Tanfo much better than an S_I. To me the recoil feels different. Some of it is heavy gun vs. lighter gun and some I think is the result of the Tanfo having a lighter slide and as such I imagine a higher slide velocity. One isn't necessarily better than the other, just different.

I'd say shoot both if you can and see which you like. If you loved the S_I my advice is to get it. Long after you forget what the difference in price was you will still be happy with your choice instead of thinking "Gee if only I had gotten the other one" when you open your gun bag. If you like the Tanfo get it. It is a fine pistol and Henning makes it a great choice for our game.

My .02

I shoot a SV, and my Wife shoots the Tanfo Limited. The Tanfo is equal in every respect to the Sv, except The recoil is ever slighty more, with equivilent ammo. The other downfall is the trigger. It is great, wonderful in fact, but it still cannot compete with a 2011 trigger, There just is more distance to pull that trigger no matter what you do with it. Now you may ask, just where is it ever going to help to have a little better trigger? I cant answer that. My wife loves it, and shoots it better then any gun she has ever shot. I just could not get used to the trigger travel, so i went back to my SV. Try each, and you be the judge.

I shoot a SV, and my Wife shoots the Tanfo Limited. The Tanfo is equal in every respect to the Sv, except The recoil is ever slighty more, with equivilent ammo. The other downfall is the trigger. It is great, wonderful in fact, but it still cannot compete with a 2011 trigger, There just is more distance to pull that trigger no matter what you do with it. Now you may ask, just where is it ever going to help to have a little better trigger? I cant answer that. My wife loves it, and shoots it better then any gun she has ever shot. I just could not get used to the trigger travel, so i went back to my SV. Try each, and you be the judge.

mmm....trigger travel??? I had set mine up with hardly any pretravel and breaks at 1lbs

depends on who works on it. I had my friends at my local club compare my STI and Tans,

both are almost the same and some actually say my Tans has a lighter trigger.

SB

As I said, this is a personal preference. My advice if you are trying to decide which gun to go for is to try both if you can, perhaps someone local has a Tanfoglio/STI that you can try out. If the Tanfoglio feels better for you then you can save yourself some money. It may be that money is the driving issue (and it probably is for a lot of people right now) in which case the Tanfoglio is a better bet due to the cost.

If you try both and prefer the STI then you won't be disappointed, both guns can take you to the top if you work hard at it. The World Champion has been shooting a Tanfoglio and has only lost one Open match in the last 12 years and in IPSC Standard division the 2011 type guns seem to rule.

Redding G-Rx "Push Through" resizing die is what he is talking about. Here is the link with photo:

http://www.redding-reloading.com/

Or, if you are a new shooter, just use factory ammo. Factory length ammo will run in a Tanfoglio. In a 2011, not so much.

If you resize the whole .40 case then you won't have any problems with them.

The importance of the price is up to the end user.

Thanks for all the input! It appears this comparison comes down to a personal decision; both guns are comparable and equally capable. It sounds like its safe to say that IF the tanfo cost the same as the 2011 it would still be a toss up. I guess based on the vast price difference the tanfo is the better 'value'. Its interesting that the 2011 is so much more $$$ but does not seem to carry any overwhelming advantages over the Tanfo. If you take parallels in others industries (cars, electronics, clothes, etc) if something costs twice as much as the 'lesser' product there are typically VERY clear advantages, qualities, luxuries, etc. to the more expensive product. When comparing a Lamborghini to a Corvette no one says "oh its just personal preference" in other words if they cost the same money I imagine most would choose the Lamborghini. Interesting that does not seem to apply in this comparison and choosing the tanfo is not 'settling' even though it is ~1/2 the cost.

Carlos - you make a good point there, I am a new shooter and for now will be shooting mostly factory ammo. If you are saying the tanfo is a better match for factory length ammo, that may make my decision.

I shot a custom built tangfolio open gun for a couple years, completely wore the gun out. Cracked the slide, had it welded, then shot it till the lugs on the barrels and the slide rounded off and the gun lost it's accurracy. I must have broke 3 or 4 slide stops on that gun.

My next gun was a custom built open gun on a SV frame. Shot that gun for about 4 years, roughly twice as many rounds and the gun still shoots great and is very accurate. I don't know if that was just coincidence, but my experience is the 1911 design is much more robust and for me, cheaper in the long run.

If you need examples of dependability Henning does NOT carry a backup gun for major matches. That tells me he has a ton of confidence in his gun.

Along with that he does not change guns regularly I know of unless he's trying something new out. I believe he shot one of his Limiteds for 4-5 years exclusively and one of his open guns MUCH longer. I've seen these guns in person that have been used a ton and was very impressed with the minimal wear and general feel of the gun. Any fatigue problems Tanfoglio use to have I would say are LONG gone.

The lack of popularity for the Tanfoglio line in the US comes down to two things lack of availability (parts & guns) and the importer's promotion of the line. They don't market or push their line like they could. You turn that line over to somebody with the right drive and cash flow and it would grow QUICKLY again.

:surprise:

I think the Tz type guns are a really good set up, the mag problems some have is easily solved, having

the frame and slide Cryo treated will sure make them a little more durable.

Most all the guns I build if they are going to be really used I have them cryo treated, I have had some problems

with broken STi slides in the past, this process cures that problem.

Any gun is a personal choice practice with what ya have is the key.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :rolleyes::wacko::devil:

I originally had an Edge .40....then moved to production and a tanfoglio stock2 9mm. I sold off my edge and got a limited custom .40 as the parts, holsters, mag pouches can be shared. I put a few hundred dollars of Henning parts into and I have no complaints. I like both guns,....either would serve you well. The grip on the Limited is better IMO than my edge,..especially since I got the Henning grips,...no need for grip tape.

Edited by Mo Hepworth

I had a Brazos SC .40 for limited it was a great gun, I started shooting a Witness Match and loved the ergonomics. I Then went to the Limited 9mm bought 2 one for me and one for my son. Was shooting local Practical Pistol Matches with them and was always placed in the top 3. I then bought a Limited .40 and did a comparison with my Brazos. It shot just as well and I liked the feel of the gun better. I did put Hennings parts in my guns and worked on the sear myself for a 2.5# pull. I sold the Brazos and never looked back. I've never had a problem with the stock mags, I am limited on round capacity, but I can live with it. I took 1st place Master Class at our Wed. nite shoot, and my guns work flawlessly. I plan to shoot it for the Gator Classic this month. My next purchase from Henning may be a set of higher cap mags if I stick with limited. Another plus, you can swap top ends and mags and shoot another caliber for about $250 bucks.

Edited by Darrell

How does the CZ tactical sport fall in this debate?

Feels a little fatter in the grip and is HEAVY... other then that very similar.

Come on, I tote it around so it can't be that heavy! Then again, Rick is going to get it all cut up. Maybe I will like it even more then. :P