Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Name your favorite British comedy

Revopop

So there's this guy I work with, and we have nothing in common except that we both enjoy British comedy. Consequently, every time we're out smoking that's all we talk about. Got me thinking, can anybody recommend me something good that I haven't seen?

My favorite is Blackadder. "Blackadder II" is probably the best overall season, although the single best episode is probably the Flashheart episode in "Blackadder Goes Forth".

I'll second Fawlty Towers. I still get a kick whenever I see one. When I was a kid there was The Young Ones too. That one my mom hated but it was the best thing other than videos that was ever put on MTV.

Young Ones is hilarious! My girlfriend got it for me for Christmas this year, and she does not like it. But hey, it was my present, right?

My earliest recollection of British comedy was with the "Doctor" series of movies ("Doctor in the House", "Doctor at Sea", etc.) They were funny and a bit racey for the time, which added to the appeal.

I love Benny Hill and the Pythons, but I'll just mention one you may not be familiar with, "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em" starring Michael Crawford. His character had a knack for getting himself into the damnedest messes.

I was lucky enough to be transferred to the UK for 18 months during the late 80's, just in time to catch some of the classic Brit comedies.

Huge Blackadder fan, as well as Red Dwarf and Allo Allo (though AA seems to appeal only to those who really 'get' it re Brit comedy).

Chef is awesome, shame it was only on for a couple of seasons. Check out "Dad's Army" if you are a WWII buff or like some of the older shows.

Barry

Edited by dbarrym

"The Ricky Gervais Show" podcast, and previously the "The Ricky Gervais Show" on XFM radio.

Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchant (creators of The Office) had a hour-long weekly radio show. They discovered the producer assigned to the show, Karl Pilkington, is a simpleton, and they make fun of him relentlessly.

Here's Karl Pilkington giving a weekly installment of Monkey News, which is exactly what it sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmp1uymNKGs (the animation is done by a fan. It's a radio show.)

Here's Karl reading from his diary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXews7Z2GTg

You can download the podcast and radio shows. I play them on long car trips.

Edited by Leozinho