Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Football cleats vs Soccer cleats

Cy Soto

I have noticed that the Nike Land Sharks as well as several other football cleats are very popular amongst shooter. I haven't seen many shooters using soccer but these seem to have a deeper traction than the football ones. Is there a reason why soccer cleats should be avoided?

The Nike Land Shark are soft cleats and work well on everything from soft grass to hard wooden platforms. Soccer cleats are usually hard and will not provide traction on hard surfaces. They need a soft but strong surface to work well on, like grass, but don't work well in gravel or soft dirt

I bought the shoe with the most knobbies. They're also lacrosse cleats, but my thought was that they give me a little extra surface area of contact in grass and hard pack dirt. I looked at a lot of the soccer shoes, but preferred the slightly over the ankle support.

Just my .02.

I really like the Adidas Turf Hog Mid Baseball shoe.

They have a lot of little nubbies that work great in all conditions we incounter in this sport.

Never had an issue with them slipping on wet walkway or beams.

Check them out at the link below.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7312668/c/1229...CFcZM5QodDUfzbQ

Edited by John2A

You have to pick a cleat/shoe to match the track conditions. More agressive in soft/loose conditions, more contact area

for hardpack/cement etc. Around here it's gravel in several flavors, with a little bit of dirt and sand thrown in. We do

get up and dance around on props once in a while, and there is a good chance that it will all be wet sometimes.

I used to wear Landsharks. Good cleat, but the darned things are so narrow that they hurt my feet. Switched

to UnderArmor Hammers a couple of years ago. Good all around traction, and wide enough to be comfortable.

They have a lot of little nubbies that work great in all conditions we incounter in this sport.

These shoes actually look comfortable...I may have to try a pair.

EG

I'm give those a try, my Land sharks decided to stay in Vegas

Hello: Soccer cleats should work fine for most terrain except on hard ramps or plywood. I have 3 pairs of shoes I use for different conditions. I use the Adidas multi stud shoes for hard pack and where I will be running on boards. I use the Adidas corner blitz for gravel or loose terrain. The last pair of Adidas are football shoes that where used when I bought them(cost me $5) at Goodwill and work great for mud/gravel. I have seen guys use metal spiked baseball shoes as well. I was thinking of using golf shoes on really nice grassy areas but the golf resorts don't like shooting on there fairways :roflol: Thanks, Eric

soccer cleats are low cut, no ankle support, and made for people with itty bitty skinny feet and weigh a buck o 9 soaking wet, Foot ball cleats are for bigger guys many with fallen arches, they are wider and usually available as high top with some ankle support.

Edited by Joe4d

I think the cleats I use are Baseball cleats.. made for grass and that infield material that is finely crushed rock.. The brand is Easton, the bat makers..

They seem to do well on out range, which is coarse gravel.. and some sandy soils nearer the berm.

I have two pair of Adidas Corner Blitz. One pair is the lower cut and the other slightly over the ankle....both are soccer cleats. So far they've worked perfectly (to include hard wood and concrete). They're very comfortable, have a nice blend of large and small raised edges/bumps etc. and seem to be cut on the generous side (slightly wide feet) in my size (10) so my feet don't hurt after walking/standing all day. R,

Dang Dude!! Those shoes are BAD A$$...I may be changing. Those got alot of stability traction and supporting little nubs all over..I like em.., I am a Land Shark guy and I think after some tryin on, I will be changin..Thanks for the Info Dude!!

T-VS

Regardless of the "type" of shoe you decide on try to get a shoe with plenty of arch support and a cushioned midsole. Most baseball and soccer shoes have very little midsole cushioning because they are designed to be used on a very forgiving surface. Your best bet is to try one of the many types of "Turf" shoes. These shoes are generally designed to be used on less forgiving surfaces (think concrete covered in astroturf) and generally offer plenty of ankle support, midsole cushion, and a very multipurpose cleated sole.

Here are some examples

Under Armor Combat ATV (love mine)

Under Armour Metal Mid Superturf

Reebok Quagmire II

Reebok Field Magistrate

Nike Air Speed Destroyer

Nike Air Zoom Blade Pro Destroyer

New Balance 825 Mid

soccer cleats are low cut, no ankle support, and made for people with itty bitty skinny feet and weigh a buck o 9 soaking wet, Foot ball cleats are for bigger guys many with fallen arches, they are wider and usually available as high top with some ankle support.

Bear in mind also, that the shoe companies put more design work into the upper of dedicated soccer shoes...

for kicking the ball.

I have noticed that the Nike Land Sharks as well as several other football cleats are very popular amongst shooter. I haven't seen many shooters using soccer but these seem to have a deeper traction than the football ones. Is there a reason why soccer cleats should be avoided?

Harder compound and more aggressive soccer cleats can cause issues especially when you have to stand on or cross wood or other hard surface props or platforms. Double that when the above surface is wet.

I wear Adidas Triple Star 5 Mid baseball shoes. They worked well for me in mud, gravel, sand, grass, along with smooth surfaces. They provide good ankle support, and mud does not "stick" into the tread like some other shoes that I have tried. If a shoe retains mud, then it loses some ability to provide traction.

I have some Adidas soccer shoes (Bracara IV TRXFG) also, but I have not put them to use yet. They don't have as "agressive" of a tread compared to the baseball shoes, so they will likely be relegated to less demanding conditions.

Edited by Blueridge

Dang Dude!! Those shoes are BAD A$$...I may be changing. Those got alot of stability traction and supporting little nubs all over..I like em.., I am a Land Shark guy and I think after some tryin on, I will be changin..Thanks for the Info Dude!!

T-VS

Yeah they are comfortable. I tend to where them all day at a match from set up to take down and even sometimes to home. Feet don't feel like you have been walking around on pins all day. Never had any issues with them clogging up with mud or sand. I did have to add an arch support in them but have to do that on all my shoes. My land Sharks have been relegated to lawn mowing shoes now.

I'm using those also, I like them - comfy, good traction on concrete and wood as well as grass and dirt.

I am going to order a pair of these, they look pretty comfortable. I am a big guy and after 4 hours + at a match my dogs are barkin' pretty loud.