Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hammer back while holstered at make ready

sperman

From time to time at the "Make ready" command I will leave the gun holstered, pull the hammer back and put the safety on.  From there I will take the unloaded sight picture and proceed to make ready.  I've seen this done by many shooters and I've seen it done at Area matches, but I've never heard anyone have a problem with it.  At nationals last week I had one of the top NROI guys warn me (after I completed the stage) that a person could be DQ'ed for this.  I just wanted to pass along the warning to other shooters.  I know I won't be doing this anymore.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is illegal to holster a "loaded" weapon with the safety off. The rulebook give definitions of what is loaded and what is not. Your situation does not fall into the category of "loaded". In fact, if you walk up to the line, prior to the Make Ready command and the hammer is back, as long as the gun is unloaded per the rulebook, the only action taken is to walk you to an appropriate area and have you lower the hammer.

I would be interested in hearing the logic for what you were told. Additionally, if you "could" be DQ'd for doing what you did, why weren't you?

Gary

What I said to the shooter is that I have been told of cases of competitors being threatened with DQ for this. The reported "rationale" for it (as told to me by shooters who were faced with it) was that the handgun is considered loaded after the MR command and since it is momentarily cocked without the safety applied while holstered and violating 10.5.11.1.

Now that we have a better definitions in the Glossary, it should not be a problem, but.....

It was just a bit of advice. I stopped using this technique years ago to avoid this kind of distraction during a match.

I 've seen several top shooters, at the make ready command, turn on the dot and cock the hammer, practice their draw and proceed to finish loading. Nothing illegal with that.

Nothing illegal about it, but like taking a sight picture with a loaded gun, it makes some ROs nervous.

I 've seen several top shooters, at the make ready command, turn on the dot and cock the hammer, practice their draw and proceed to finish loading. Nothing illegal with that.

Nothing illegal about it, but like taking a sight picture with a loaded gun, it makes some ROs nervous.

As long as it is pointed downrange, it doesn't make me nervous...but if it goes bang during the procedure, the resulting DQ will make the competitor very unhappy.

Curtis

I would be interested in hearing the logic for what you were told. Additionally, if you "could" be DQ'd for doing what you did, why weren't you?

Gary

+1

Just a comment on the latter part of Gary's post. I hate the DQ threat as in "I could have DQ'd you but I didn't" . It serves no purpose, either I committed a DQable (is that a word) offense and should be DQ'd or I didn't. But please don't insinuate that as an RO you are doing anyone a favor by not DQ'ing someone who has committed the infraction.

Just a comment on the latter part of Gary's post. I hate the DQ threat as in "I could have DQ'd you but I didn't" . It serves no purpose, either I committed a DQable (is that a word) offense and should be DQ'd or I didn't. But please don't insinuate that as an RO you are doing anyone a favor by not DQ'ing someone who has committed the infraction.

Amen! Who needs it? Either a rule was broken or it wasn't. If a rule was broken, then site the rule, if no rule was broken, then say nothing.

I appreciated George's warning and I won't do it again.  I can't find a rule that would support a DQ, but why even give anyone the option of starting that discussion.  It only takes an extra second to draw the gun before pulling the hammer and applying the safety.  

Also thanks to George for giving his side of this encounter.  I didn't want to volunteer his name without his permission.

I try my best to be crisp and precise in my make ready routine. I try to do everything the same way everytime without hesitation. I don't want the RO to have time to think about or wonder what I am doing.

I should probably take a little more time and actually take a sight picture, but I like to get the shooting once I get to the line. :-)

• 2 weeks later...
I try my best to be crisp and precise in my make ready routine. I try to do everything the same way everytime without hesitation. I don't want the RO to have time to think about or wonder what I am doing.

I should probably take a little more time and actually take a sight picture, but I like to get the shooting once I get to the line. :-)

I do not have a problem with someone advising me on potential rule infractions, however, I have a very fragile ego.

If you ever RO Tony, you best be on your toes. After "Make Ready" he will be before you are. :roflol:

• 1 year later...

Note: merged threads. - Admin.

I've begun to see a lot of people cock there hammer in the holster at make ready. B) They cock it and then draw and dry fire the gun on the targets......

Maybe I've just become more observant that I used to be, but I see this from at least a few shooters each match.

Thoughts?

JT

Edited by Flexmoney

I seem to vaguely recall an extended discussion on this at some point. Relying on memory here (a bad thing) and after a fresh perusal of the rules I couldn't think of a reason to prohibit it but I personally don't feel it's the greatest idea...I would always want the safety check of racking and visual confirmation to make triple sure it was unloaded.

Curtis

perfectly legal, don't see the purpose. if you don't know what your trigger feels like, should dry fire at home more often. B)

+1

...and taking a sight picture is just that...taking a sight picture. Trigger testing should be done in the safe area or while dry firing at home.

I wanted to get your guys opinion before I had my say. If it were up to me I would not allow it. I think it's a breach in safety protocol. Looking at the rules, I don't see any way for me to prevent it, but that doesn't man I have to agree with it. B)

JT

Edited by JThompson