Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My head up my rear end

boz1911

I shot an absolutely horrible match yesterday and I just need to vent.

Ist stage: Shot well, not great points, but 1 for 1 on some tough steel.

Then the sh%t went downhill

2nd stage: Had a mike on a 5 yard target, fired a single shot on a target for some reason? and misstimed a swinger. I did make up the forgotten shot.

3rd stage: Sort of a memory stage, I thought I had forgotten a target, so I gave up 2-3 seconds hesitating moving to another position.

4th stage: A 40 round stage. Fired a single shot on a target again. This time I didn't make it up. I dropped my reload mag (a big stick) and loaded to a mag that was marginal on the round count with a Texas star and 4 poppers left to go. At least I knew to slow down on the steel and not use extra rounds.

5th stage: A strong hand/weak hand standards stages. At last I stage I knew I could smoke. Alas 3 mikes.

6th stage: After nailing all the steels for the day, I couldn't buy a hit on the 12 steels on this stage.

7th stage: 99-23 front sight. Promptly turned and went to draw. I had locked my friggin holster.

I hate I shot this poorly a week before the Nationals. :angry: I'm not even excited about going now. Hopefully my attitude will change by the end of the week. It does feel good to vent though.

I know this is negative crap and I am searching for positives, maybe some will come to light. Yesterday is over.

Edited by boz1911

<playing armchair psychologist> Hhhmmm... Very interesting... And if the Nationals weren't coming up, would you have done better?

What can I say, you have to unscrew your head and screw it back on straight. You've eaten your live frog, so nothing worse is going to happen for a while. Just sit back and enjoy the match.

Wow. Sounds like my weekend. Nothing went right. DQ one match. Just a bone head move. Lisiten to the RO!! Next day, Gun jams several times, mag jams on another stage. Just poor hits overall.

Guess I just got all the bad stuff out of the way so should be a good nationals.

mda

In keeping with the spirit of a Hate thread, I too hate that you shot like filthy, stinky, had me checking my shoes for dog droppings, putrid, smelly beyond belief, rancid shit. I also hate that you reorganized your range bag and left your crowbar at home (the one you could have used to pop your head out of your ass).

In keeping with the spirit of a Hate thread, I too hate that you shot like filthy, stinky, had me checking my shoes for dog droppings, putrid, smelly beyond belief, rancid shit. I also hate that you reorganized your range bag and left your crowbar at home (the one you could have used to pop your head out of your ass).

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

I did just finish packing though!!

I hate that you hate that you shot like you used to about a year ago. :P WWKGD? Go to the Nats and have fun. Just try not to shoot better than you normally do just because your at the Nationals. If anything.....turn it back to about 90%. I have the utmost confidence in you......as long as you don't go into a stage thinking you are fixinta burn it down. :goof:

Go have a quick practice session and do something to reinforce yourself. Shoot 35 yard partial targets and see what you need to see. Finish practice on a positive note. Do a 5 yard El Pres :D

And.....bring plenty of Tucks with you :ph34r: cuz after you remove that big melon of yours......your gonna needem.

The best round of golf I've ever played was the day after I swore up and down I was never going to play again. I'd sucked it up SO bad that day I had trouble hitting green (the color, not the putting surface) and I looked like an octopus falling out of a tree most of the time. The next day I was just killin' it.

Play your game and you'll be fine!

Wow. Sounds like my weekend. Nothing went right. DQ one match. Just a bone head move. Lisiten to the RO!! Next day, Gun jams several times, mag jams on another stage. Just poor hits overall.

Guess I just got all the bad stuff out of the way so should be a good nationals.

mda

Mark I was just going to share that story with Brian (without your name of course). If you spin it as "All of the bad mojo is gone, nothing left but excellence", you're in great shape :)

I feel your pain.

Trying to repair the damage from a couple of tanked stages on a special classifier, I drove 2.5 hours to shoot a match Sunday.

Practice Saturday: Everything is beautiful. All Alphas from 5 to 30 yards, and the steel sings at the 50 yard line. I can't buy a miss!

Match Sunday - first stage - first target - throw 6 mikes in a row!!! Rest of the match is better than that, but only by a degree or two. Forget the Good, its a day for the Bad and the Ugly!

Did I mention I got a ticket on the way to the match? First moving violation in 30 years of driving!

Monday, I work in a quick 100 round practice - everything is like clockwork! Hitting Alphas, making 50 yard shots, putting nice tight groups on my Bill Drills at 10, 15 and 20 yards...doing all the stuff I couldn't do for love nor money at the match.

I have one more match before Vegas. Hope I got all the bad luck/mojo/juju/gris gris/technique out of my system!

7th stage: 99-23 front sight. Promptly turned and went to draw. I had locked my friggin holster.

Well, at least you know your holster securely holds your gun. I have done it before and had the gun, holster, and outer belt up by my ear before I figured out it was locked :surprise:

Lee

One thing that always helped me is get back out the range. Do some very basic drills. No timer, just watch the sights. Shoot A's, be relaxed and have a good time.

You need to get that confidence up before nationals.

Also it doesn't need to be a long session. 30mins and out. You just want a good feeling after the session, a relaxing feeling after that last session. Confident.....

Good luck and shoot A's..........

Flyin

One thing that always helped me is get back out the range. Do some very basic drills. No timer, just watch the sights. Shoot A's, be relaxed and have a good time.

Also it doesn't need to be a long session. 30mins and out. You just want a good feeling after the session, a relaxing feeling after that last session. Confident.....

Flyin

Yeah, I did that yesterday, shot 10 shot groups at 35 yards focusing on watching the dot, seeing what I needed. I also took a SS gun I've been working on and did the same thing. I was really happy at how well it shot. Pretty much put me back in a good mood. I plan on doing the same thing tomorrow. :rolleyes:

The best round of golf I've ever played was the day after I swore up and down I was never going to play again. I'd sucked it up SO bad that day I had trouble hitting green (the color, not the putting surface) and I looked like an octopus falling out of a tree most of the time. The next day I was just killin' it.

Play your game and you'll be fine!

Good stuff!

Flyin

Yeah, I did that yesterday, shot 10 shot groups at 35 yards focusing on watching the dot, seeing what I needed. I also took a SS gun I've been working on and did the same thing. I was really happy at how well it shot. Pretty much put me back in a good mood. I plan on doing the same thing tomorrow. :rolleyes:

And good work there, following that excellent advice.

There is no Nationals. At each moment, there is just shooting.

be

I can relate, shot three or four weeks without a mike, no shoot or any pen. then this last Friday night I tanked hard. I look at it like this, get those things out of the way before the Nats and just focus on shooting a good match.

Joe W.

Edited by joecichlid

Well, at last you are in good company. Angus was out at TNS last night and on stage 3 in his words "I couldn't have shot that worse if I tried." It was a Greek tragedy of a stage with missed targets, leaving a shooting box early, a popper that appeared to be dodging his shots, pretty much everything. The thing is he was laughing about it and kept saying he wanted to try that stage again. That was a darn good lesson for me about how to view my own bad runs.

<playing armchair psychologist> Hhhmmm... Very interesting... And if the Nationals weren't coming up, would you have done better?

I think there's something to this... I've seen it several times this year (myself included in there) where guys have a terrible match the week before an Area Match/Nationals.

Well, after last weekend I've just tried to relax.

Thanks for the insight about "it's just shooting" Brian.

I went and ran a few more freestyle groups at thirty five yards today. My last group of 15 shots resulted in 14 Alphas and 1 Charlie. All on a turtle target. My arms were getting tired on the Charlie. Also nailed the mini-popper at that range every time. :rolleyes:

I came home and finished packing. All I have to Friday is dress and go to the airport.

Really looking forward to Vegas and "just shooting".