Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Blue Tabs For Locator Buttons

I have a RL550B press and I am always dropping and losing the locator buttons. So I decided I would order some of the Blue Tabs for a 1050 from Dillon and put them on my 550 buttons. So far they are working ok, but I was wondering if there is any known side effects of using the blue tabs on a 550B.

Thanks in advance,

Dale

I have a RL550B press and I am always dropping and losing the locator buttons. So I decided I would order some of the Blue Tabs for a 1050 from Dillon and put them on my 550 buttons. So far they are working ok, but I was wondering if there is any known side effects of using the blue tabs on a 550B.

OK. I give up. What are Blue Tabs? Is there a part # or are they part of a kit?

OK. I give up. What are Blue Tabs? Is there a part # or are they part of a kit?

The blue tabs I ordered from Dillon are for the Super 1050 press, they are tabs that the locator buttons push through.

The 1050 press uses 2 different ones,

Part # 13569 Blue Locator Tab $1.16

Part # 17384 Blue Locator Tab, Short $1.16

I just ordered Part # 13569, I dont know if they are sold in a kit or not so I just ordered 15. Did it just to have a little extra to grab on the locator buttons when picking them up.

I don't have a picture but if you have a "Blue Press" and look at the Super 1050 picture you can just see them.

The problem with using the blue tabs on locator buttons on machines other than the 1050 series is that the button is held up taller. On some cartridges, notably rimmed cases and rebated cases, the pin is not contacting the case at the proper diameter. Rimmed cases can then come out of the shellplate enough to cause alignment problems. Rebated cases can bind against the pin, and either not allow the shellplate to rotate, to bend a pin when it is forced.

If you are a cheap, you can do the same thing yourself. Cut a tab out of an old plastic milk carton, melt a small hole in it with a heated nail to put the locator pin through, and then just a touch of contact cement to stick it to the under the pin.

You can be really cheap and do it with post it material, or blue painter's tape. Tape does not raise the locator pin much at all.

Mark K.

My 1050 came with one short tab and some standard ones.

Do you know where (what station) does the small one go ???

BTW, when you receive your order, could you please tell us if the price is for one or for a pack? I need to place an order for a smashed one (don't ask... stupid me).

Thanks,

Jerome.

BTW, when you receive your order, could you please tell us if the price is for one or for a pack? I need to place an order for a smashed one (don't ask... stupid me).

Thanks,

Jerome.

The short one goes at the powder drop station or at least that's where I put mine. :unsure:

Thanks,

Jerome.

The price was $1.16 for one. I do not have a 1050 so I can not say where the short one goes.

Dale

When I got my 1050, I was talking to Dillon Tech Support (ordering some caliber conversion parts), and I asked where the short tab goes. The Tech Support guy told me that it goes in the hole at the powder drop station, so that the tab doesn't get caught on the spring. That's where I put it. That left a long tab next to the operating handle, and when I operated the press, it launched that tab all the way across the room. Broken, of course! Obviously, as Dillon says above, the short tab goes next to the operating handle!

I solved the problem by ordering all short tabs and replacing all of the long tabs with short ones. Now, I don't have to be concerned with placement of the tabs and buttons. Just fill up all of the holes.

I think Dillon should just go to all short tabs.

Jim M.

• 2 years later...

Are these tabs any thinner now? Would they work for 9mm?

I really only need one for pulling the pin after the powder drop to verify weight.

It's funny, now they are $1.49.surprise.gif

Custom make them like I did for the 650 and SDB.

Take the coffee can lids, yoghurt container lids and cut them to size, use a leather punch to make the hole, and viola, tabs that work and were free, other than your time.

Take the coffee can lids, yoghurt container lids and cut them to size, use a leather punch to make the hole, and viola, tabs that work and were free, other than your time.

Yeah, but they are not blue so I doubt they will work as well. :rolleyes:

Edited by mcracco

My thoughts exactly!

My thoughts exactly!

Silly buggers. :eatdrink: