Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dogs don't live long enough

ERIC

My dog decided to call it quits this evening. He wasn't doing well the 36 hours prior so I knew this was coming up. He was 104 in dog years and would've been 15 years old in 5 weeks. I know that's a long time for a dog (especially a large 80 lb dog like mine) but it's still too short. We were able to catch him on his last moment and my wife and 3 kids (2, 5 and 7 years old) sat around him and gave him a fond farewell. It looked peacefull and painless. I hope I go out that way with the same people around me. He was a great dog and I'll miss that mutt. Here he is in his glory years.

post-2477-1250489996_thumb.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry for your loss man. I have seen a couple of my devoted 4 legged friends move on and it was always just crushing. Hang in there.

Edited because I still can't spell.

Edited by Neomet

Dean Koontz, the best-selling horror writer, obviously loves dogs - I mean, dogs are main characters in some of his books, literally. The bad thing about dogs is they just don't last that long, compared to humans, which means eventually you'll have to deal with them dying. Koontz once wrote, "To love a dog is to know that one day you'll cry."

Found this about dogs after I lost my Aussie of 12 years:

The Pain of Loss is the Price of Love.

I think about that as I play with my 2 new Aussies and fondly remember my other best friend.

Sweet looking pooch, I'm so sorry for you loss. It sucks and nothing can change that but eventually you'll smile more when you think about him than you will cry. It hurts so much because they deserve it for all the love they give. I'm gonna go give my pooches a hug now....

My best friend Wally my Bearded Collie has Myasthenia Gravis right now. It is a horrible disease that should last about 6 months and at any point he could die from aspiration of his food or water. He has kinda good days and really bad days, I've always thought it was kinda weird how we accept these creatures into our homes and bond with them so strongly. I'm sorry for your lose I know what your going through.

Dean Koontz, the best-selling horror writer, obviously loves dogs - I mean, dogs are main characters in some of his books, literally. The bad thing about dogs is they just don't last that long, compared to humans, which means eventually you'll have to deal with them dying. Koontz once wrote, "To love a dog is to know that one day you'll cry."

I really hate to open threads like this..... I know the pain.

Koontz sure said it right.... :(

Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss.

I don't think as a human I could ever do enough for my dogs to deserve the loyalty and love they have given me and my Family.

During a rough time raising my teen daughter we adopted a grey hound to "save it", I really think it ended up "saving" my daughter.

I sometimes hate to open these threads cuz I know how bad it hurts to lose a pet of so long that was loved so greatly. I'm sorry for your loss. He was a stout and beautiful dog.

I dread the day I have to deal with losing mine but its not far off.

My condolences to you and your family. The loss of a beloved pet can be really hard on young kids the ages of yours. I know they are termed pets but every dog we've ever owned has been considered a member of our family. I'm happy to hear his passing was with his family.

Every time I part with one of my furry friends, I say I won't have another because I grow weary of burying my friends in the back yard. But, before I know it, there will be another fur-ball running around the house chewing up everything in sight. And It's all because they are such wonderful companions.

I'm sorry about your loss. I hope you find another friend soon.

dj

Several thoughts, first of which is so sorry for your loss. Those with pets just know the pain that goes along with loving them. My chocolate lab is not even ten and she's sliding pretty quickly. Heart is still there, but the body just doesn't have it anymore.

So I am truly sorry for you loss.

That picture is majestic and is such a great reminder of how incredible the dog was. I really appreciate that.

And I totally agree that dogs have it right. They prioritize better than any animal I've ever seen. They love unconditionally. They will take any ounce of attention you will give them, and they'll forgive you quicker than any human of those times you misjudged something. They know that life is short and sometimes you gotta just waste a day doing nothing. Yet when the opportunity comes to go on an adventure they grasp at it full force. They only have heart, and when given a "task" they work until they pass out to get it done. And finally, if you, your family, your property - whatever - comes under unwanted scrutiny or danger they defend vigorously and with the intention that nothing is getting past them - not on their watch.

Amazing creatures . . .

And I guess when I think about it, I guess humans don't really live long enough. Dogs, I think they live everyday. I think they truly live life.

I am so sorry for your loss, and thankful for your reminder of how precious these family members are. Think I'll go play with my dogs for a bit.

Jack

I know I mentioned Dean Koontz before, and I'm going to be seriously paraphrasing here, but in one of his books he says something like, "When man was new, huddling in the darkness around his fire, staring out into the night, frightened and alone, God said, 'I will create for you a friend, steadfast, unwavering, loving and loyal and true, who will walk beside you in the world and never let you down." And then He created dogs.

Hell, I"m making myself cry here.

So sorry for your loss, man.

On a lighter note (please!) I found this so hilarious that I made it one of my MySpace blogs:

The Difference Between Cats and Dogs

* Excerpts from a Dog's Diary *

8:00 AM - Dog food! My favorite thing!

9:30 AM - A car ride! My favorite thing!

9:40 AM - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!

10:30 AM - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!

12:00 PM - Lunch! My favorite thing!

1:00 PM - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!

3:00 PM - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!

5:00 PM - Milk bones! My favorite thing!

7:00 PM - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!

8:00 PM - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!

11:00 PM - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!

* Excerpts from a Cat 's Diary *

Day 983 of my captivity.

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomited on the carpet.

Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates what I am capable of. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a "good little hunter" I am.

There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of "allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.

Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow -- but at the top of the stairs.

I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released - and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird has got to be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now...