Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Sig 1911...

SiG Lady

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They make 'em all over. I didn't mean something necessarily made in Belgium or Morgan, but something made in a plant where their guns are made. Last I knew they were part of GIAT and as such something of a sister division with Winchester? Or is that like really old info?

I'd like to modify my "very disappointed" comment to just "disappointed". It is a neat-looking gun.

My thought on this gun is that it was prob. built to mainly be sold in Massachussetts. As of now we can only buy the SW1911 and the SV's in this state. I talked with my gunshop today and they said this state will be its biggest market. Damn looks like the fiance is gonna kill me even more. That one will have to make my safe too. I'll be good though and get it after we're married in April.

pete

However...... I've very disappointed. If what I read is true and it's put up from Caspian frame and slide and standard aftermarket parts, it's not a SIG. Same with the new Unertl-- and this is no slam on Caspian or the makers of the components-- but dang, if they're going to make a 1911, let it be something besides parts that anybody can get outta Brownells. That they put it together well is not in question, hopefully, but then the only dif between the SIG, the Unertl, and the gun by your pal who puts together a decent 1911 is the engraving on the outside. If I were to buy a SIG 1911 I'd want to know it was made from SIG parts in a SIG factory, otherwise the draw for me would not be there. Yes, I know there's a lot of this going around in the industry-- everybody uses some of everybody else's parts. I would not expect them to completely re-invent the wheel I guess (although I would hope for it), but there's just too much me-too-ism in the last couple years. Am I way out of line here?

Honestly - no offense intended, I assure you - yes. It would be prohibitively expensive - not to mention stupid - for SIG to build an entire assembly line to produce 1911 parts when they could buy preexisting units of known quality from a well-established and respected vendor.

Duane, if you telling it like it is offends me I don't deserve to be here! You're absolutely right of course,

which in a way is the point I'm making. Other than styling, as in the rail, the SIG-ish slide cut, and rollmarking,

this 1911 just doesn't seem like a truly SIG product. Now I realize that our cars are made the same way-- I mean,

GM et al are nothing more than assembly plants, they manufacture very few of the components. They buy it all

on the outside, put it together, stick a GM badge on it, and there's your GM product. The dif is that, while some

of those components are off-the-shelf items, the vast majority of them are off custom tooling made just for GM,

like molds for the interior, dies for the body..... nobody else could go to a GM supplier and buy fenders and doors,

seats and chassis, for say a Pontiac Bonneville, and start producing and selling them as something else.

It's true that the investment would be a biggie, and a perfectly good reason not to start producing 1911's. But, while

I have plenty o' respect for SIG and their products, and am not disputing the quality of the components they've

chosen nor their ability to put them together right, I still see it as a little cheezy to call it a SIG.

Talk about them seranading for a military contract-- I don't profess to know the inner workings of military acquisitions

but I'll bet that ain't gonna happen; if it did it would be in the hundreds and not thousands if they were lucky and

therefore not worth it except in terms of bragging rights. And it would have to be without the firing pin safety I would

guess-- which, I have not read yet exactly what style it is? I'm curious because all three systems on the market now

have been problematic to varying degrees. I have not yet seen a S&W 1911 or Kimber Series II that was set up to be

misfire-proof. Hope nobody thinks I'm SIG bashing! But what FPS system does it use?

Duane, if you telling it like it is offends me I don't deserve to be here!

Ned, I appreciate your attitude. Shows self-confidence and class, wot.

What interests me is not the idea that this gun is made from any super-gee-whiz proprietary parts - I mean, after all, this design is 92 years old, how much can you change it and still call it a 1911? What interests me is the chance to see a factory 1911 made with SIG's attention to detail and quality control. I talked to Jan Libourel at Gun World last week and he said I could write this gun up. On Monday I call SIG to have them send me one. I can't wait. :D

(Duane Thomas) "What interests me is the chance to see a factory 1911 made with SIG's attention to detail and quality control."

This was my reason for posting the item in the first place.

It was one of Duane's reviews (Sig P-239) a couple of years ago that propelled me into conventional shooting (more than just a .22LR) in the first place. His review of the little 9mm was comprehensive and right on. I just couldn't use the P239 in league action very well, but I kept my P229 because it felt right and I still like it.

DT, I can hardly wait for your review of this latest one. :wub:

I got a chance to briefly check out the SIG 1911's at Area 2. Matt McLearn was there showing them off in the safe area, so I asked if I could play too. They're nice. Felt good, looked good, worked good as far as I could tell. A little 'wierd' with the external extractor and the series 80 screw threw me for a while, but they're right in with the Kimber/Trojan/etc quality/price point (~$1K for both shiny and black, IIRC)

As always, we are eager to see your report, but I can't help but think that since noone has reinvented the wheel here, and the parts being used are already on the market, it will shoot like the hybrid, Kimber, S&W that it is. That is to say, 2.0 inches with ball ammo, function very well, and have a really indifferent trigger.

Only thing I see different is the Sig cut on the slide and the light cut on the dust cover...

Sorry if this sounds jaded, but...

I have to throw my hat in with Tightloop here. I am NOT a fan of the "rack" to hang garbage onto on my 1911s. I guess there are a lot out there who really like this feature............... that's what makes political parties and horserace betting, though (differences of opinion).

Best of luck, and I too am anxious to see Mr. T's report....... but strictly as a curiousity and accademically...........

Best regards to all,

Jeffro (Jeff)

• 4 years later...

Two examples!

I've been thinking of getting the curved trigger in the STX swapped out for a 10-8 flat trigger just to try something different. I think the slightly unusual SiG profile would lend itself well to the sqaure shape of the flat trigger...

c3.jpg

DSC00168.png