Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 92 Slide Cut on a 1911 Slide?

ExtremeShot

Has anyone done/or seen a Beretta92-like slide cut on a 1911/2011....you know, with the whole top of the slide cut out (like below)? On my bull barrel guns it appears one could cut out about 2 inches between the slide lugs and the slide-barrel contact area on the front. You could go a little further with a bushing slide. ........just thinking it might be something different than doing the typical rib cage cuts.

Darren

Beretta_Camo.jpg

Two of my Briley built open guns have that open top cut, not as pronounced as the Beretta's. Both use bushing barrels and the slides are pretty light.

They're okay, was pretty radical when they first came out with that cut. It lets a lot of grit get onto the barrel and flings some lube onto the front of the C-More lens.

I don't use the Briley guns much, they would make excellent steel guns (both have titanium quad comps). If only we had the SC steel targets...hmmmm....

Matt has some good ideas for lightening slides.

The bottom slide in the picture is the one off of my open steel STI. It doesn't look very pretty but it does the job. The other two are of of my A/P guns which are covered by the shroud. Each one weighs in at 9.5 ozs.

I don't have a lot of experience on the mill and these cuts are pretty simple if you want to do them yourself.

post-50-1249441443_thumb.jpg

Not the cool look of multiple cuts, but it gets the job done. I talked to a few Smiths about getting the cuts done, but decided to do it myself. A little time on the Bridgeport, some hand sanding and this is what I came up with. I also started to polish out some of the dings and scratches from the slide. I got the STI used and it was in rough shape. When I get the front sight sorted I will have it refinished.

DSC01587.JPG

DSC01590.JPG

DSC01593.JPG

DSC01594.JPG

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I do not have any clue on how to post pics, but can e-mail a pic of my 6" limited gun that was flat top then Beretta cut (Amoung other things) It does help with the weight reduction as my 6" short dustcover gun weighs 2.8 ounces less then my 5" long dustcover with the same magwell, triggergroup, sights, bullbarrel etc. I got as screamng deal on the 6" to try one out and in the beginning wasn't in love with the look but it is growing on me.

Like Howard said I had my gunsmith do a cut similar to the Beretta cut (although it was not intentionally modeled after the Beretta) We did it to take off a maximum amount of weight with one simple cut.

Could we have been more creative? I suppose so. But it doesnt look that bad after hard-chroming. Not to mention a gun needs to be more functional, than beautiful. And about the issue of dirt / gunk getting into the barrel area BECAUSE of the larger cut ...... I have not had any issues with either gun.

1004534tt8.jpg

And here's my Look Alike Limited Gun. :rolleyes:

100_5819.jpg

100_5822.jpg

• 13 years later...
On 8/4/2009 at 6:36 PM, HI5-O said:

Two of my Briley built open guns have that open top cut, not as pronounced as the Beretta's. Both use bushing barrels and the slides are pretty light.

They're okay, was pretty radical when they first came out with that cut. It lets a lot of grit get onto the barrel and flings some lube onto the front of the C-More lens.

I don't use the Briley guns much, they would make excellent steel guns (both have titanium quad comps). If only we had the SC steel targets...hmmmm....

Matt has some good ideas for lightening slides.

Do you have pics you can share? thanks

13 year old post…….

In any case this type cut was very popular on Open guns in the early 90’s, had and old STI with the same cut.

Bet if you google enough pics of Open guns you can find plenty to look at it.