What revolver are you running

CRDB

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has the longer barrel length/sight radius made an improvement ?, in a steel match how do you feel about the extra mass on fast transitions ?

I'm not sure I'm getting any major improvement in my shooting, although I think I'm going to drop my powder charge a little after my normal USPSA load chronoed at 179 p.f. from the 6.5" barrel the other day! I think I might be able to benefit from a slightly softer load than I've been shooting for the past few years.

There is no extra mass on these guns. The 25-2 barrel has only a half underlug, so it weighs no more than a 625 with full underlug (they feel about the same, to be honest). The 27-7 has the "skinny" factory barrel on it, which is quite light for its length.

Is this gun any more accurate than your others, and more importantly do you think you actually gain any accuracy in a Match?

I use a 627 6 1/2" for ICORE a 625 6 1/2" for USPSA a 625 4" for IDPA and both 6 1/2" guns for our local pin match along with 240 grain bullets in the 38 and 250s in the 45. My faro rite gun overall is the 627, it's too bad I cant use it in IDPA and USPSA revolver divisions.

Is this gun any more accurate than your others, and more importantly do you think you actually gain any accuracy in a Match?

I can't say I ever benched this gun, Dave, but my general experience has been that 625s are, as a group, far more accurate than 25-2s with lead bullets. With jacketed bullets, the difference in inherent accuracy is much more negligible between the two. But this gun seems to shoot quite well, and I figure the extra sight radius can't hurt.

I've owned this 25-2 for awhile, but haven't used it until recently. The previous owner had installed a Ti cylinder, so I'm giving that a try also. I have been shooting the gun quite a bit to see if the Ti wheel would get sticky, as this had been reported and observed quite a lot several years ago--so far, it seems perfectly fine. The moons drop right in, and the empties drop right out, even when it's plenty dirty. On this particular gun, I don't see that the Ti cylinder offers any particular advantage or disadvantage, and I don't think you can feel the "torque" difference under match conditions. The original reason for using Ti was to avoid the peening problems some shooters reported, and that issue did not seem to affect the carbon steel blued guns anyway.

Bottom line: It's a nice gun, it's a nice change of pace, but it feels about the same, and I think I shoot it about the same as I do my 625s. The biggest change is that I'm back using the CR Speed rig again, due to the longer barrel. But even that change is not going to have any huge impact on performance one way or the other.

IDPA ESR - 4" 625 - older model with the firing pin on the hammer - JM grips, EGW FO front sight, Weigand rear blade

IDPA SSR - 4" 686 - older model with the firing pin on the hammer - JM grips, Weigand front sight base w/SDM FO front sight, Weigand rear blade

Mike W.

• 3 weeks later...
Carmonized 4" Model 15 for SSR...

I'm new to this site and I just started shooting in IDPA with a 4" Model 15-3. It's in near mint condition with no work done. I'm interested in slicking it up some.

Who is this Carmoney fellow, and what happens to a "Carmonized' M 15?

Carmonized 4" Model 15 for SSR...

I'm new to this site and I just started shooting in IDPA with a 4" Model 15-3. It's in near mint condition with no work done. I'm interested in slicking it up some.

Who is this Carmoney fellow, and what happens to a "Carmonized' M 15?

Mike Carmoney is a lawyer in Iowa. He also happens to be an accomplished revolver shooter and action tuner par excellent. If you send him

your gun, when you get it back you will be very happy. He is probably the best one to tell you what happens to a Carmonized revo.

Here's a description of his action package. You will be pleased. Also, his turnaround is very fast. When I had this done, I live down the street from his law office, and my gun was ready to go in less than 48 hours. Add in a couple days for shipping, and he's still probably the fastest in-demand gunsmith around.

Five inch 625 for most everything.

I have been messing with a 8 3/8 M-14 for shooting steel. The draw from a old duty holster is a bit tricky, but I like the clear front sight picture with my eyes.

I have a pair or 4" 686's for IDPA ad USPSA. They feel good and shoot good. I have shot a model 19 in IDPA with a target hammer, target trigger and target sights made in 1972. Loved it but decided to to compete with

the 686's and keep the 19 as a queen.

I'm running a 681-3 in SSR and I have a 21-4 TR that I am planning on getting cut for moon clips for ESR.

The 21-4 is a fun gun to shoot but at 165+PF it will kick you into next week, well, it did me.

DB