Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major

jhgtyre

Not only is there cost savings associated with 9mm brass, but not having to run around picking it up helps your match concentration.  The shorter OAL (now) may make for easier feeding, and the shorter cases may help ejection.  The high pressure may also be great for comp performance.  Hard to say for sure since development was restricted with the old ruling, but I am sure the inventive minds of IPSC shooters will figure some great ways to use it now!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Major 9 is good for three reasons. One, cheap brass. Two, Someone interested in an inexpensive Open gun can now buy an EAA/Tanfoglio competition frame kit and top end, w/compensator for under a grand with some thrifty shopping techniques. Three, you van call CDNN investments and buy factory Tanfoglio pre-ban 9x19 magazines for $29.99 THEN call Brownells and buy plus 3 mag bases for 12 bucks. Roughly 19 rounds in a mag for under $45.00. Someone interested in starting out in Open Division can buy competitive gear for under $1500.00. THATS what makes major 9 worth the effort.

The most amazing thing about this 9mm major idea is all the interest it is generating in the shooters. When we brought this up to our AD he said nobody but 1 or 2 guys were interested. I for one will be building a new 9mm gun and will sing songs of great joy at throwing away my brass when I'm done shooting. Live long and prosper the MAJOR 9.

I think it's about time this happened but 9mm brass is only cheaper used. New it is about the same as super.  The difference is you can by tons of 9 brass cheap. I really doubt that a few USPSa shooters will buy enough to bring the price up.

I wondering if the TZ, P9, CZ, type frames will hold up any better with major 9 than they did with major 9x21 or super?

Where 9mm really shines is with steel loads.

• 5 weeks later...

I think a lot of people who go to 9mm maj. are going to find out that is sucks and drop it. (JMO)

I shot 9X21 for 8 years and never really felt comfy with the pressures....and I felt like I was beating the crap out of my gun.

No, if anything, I would think .38 Super brass would get cheaper, with more people going to 9X23 and Super Comp and TJ....sales going down and companies wanting to move brass....(doesn't do anything for me shooting Super Comp....)

I don't think you'd see the price go down, (but anythings possible) but I do think 9 major will become popular for people using guns that  require the short OAL. People shooting CZ's,P9's, some of the Glocks, already chambered for 9mm will probally will take advantage of it. 38 Super has been the king for such a long time that I doubt you'd see any top shooters switching to 9mm as what would the advantage be? A new shooter may go the 9mm route for reason of cost, but you would probally find they would switch to super eventually.

I'm with kbear38s, 9mm major will probably not catch on unless someone big gets sponsored into one. And I would not like to be him or her. To much of a risk to take, with guys like TGO and TJ about, to mess around.

The likes of the 9x23 etc still have not knocked 38Super of the big seller lists. So don't panic.

Lynn,

The laws of economic would suggest that the price for super brass would not go up.  The only thing I can would be if 9mm became so popular that super brass makers dropped out for lack of sales...which would leave fewer suppliers (less competition...although, less demand as well).

Unlikely though.  Starline, for example, makes brass in less popular calibers that is similar in price to the Super brass.

• 2 weeks later...

Tony, I actually think you are right about  major 9 catching on; Jan Barnes is contemplating building one; Ed Lott has had an additional 9x19 upper for his SV for several years and is building them for others in Area 8, and Rob Kamenski shot matches all the time w/ major 9x19 under the old rules by loading it long (in a P9 I think).  BTW, anyone test out the latest lot of Hirtenberger L7 to hit the US? The old stuff we tried made major and generated well over 40,000psi pressure (we had it tested).  At $109/thousand, factory major 9 seems feasible.