Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! Need to fix a sight install gone tragically wrong!

J-Hon

So I sent a CZ slide away a long time ago to have it refinished to look like matte stainless, and to have a set of LPA TRT's melted into it. Unfortunately, nearly a year later this is what came back to me:

DSCN0082.jpg

DSCN0085.jpg

DSCN0087.jpg

Yeahhhh.... That's not gonna work. I would usually add a colorful section of text right here to help explain what you are looking at, and how I think it happened, but I'll try and refrain.

The sight is not deep enough vertically, obviously doesn't fit the dovetail, and is so far back the slide that it doesn't allow the hammer to swing forward (Angus Hammer, it hits the blade). Basically, a paper weight as it sits. For reference, this is one of the pictures I sent along of what it *should* look like:

Sp01_lpa.jpg

My question is besides the likely-illegal-malicious-shenanigans that might make me feel better but wouldn't help fix my slide (which is of course, the obvious answer); what can I do?

Am I completely SOL? Should I consider welding up the dovetail and start again? I don't have measurements for a Bomar copy in front of me, but I don't think I'd be able to fudge one of those in and clean up the existing dovetail would I?

Just looking for some ideas on how to save this wreck. TIA

Edited by J-Hon

I don't think it needs to be welded. It looks like you need to take some material off the slide to make it sit lower and that will wipe out the old dovetail as well, plus it needs to go forward .25".

Any competent gunsmith should be able to handle that easily.

Edited by BritinUSA

Did you contact the shop owner? You should let them know that you're not satisfied, although they should already know, and give them a chance to make it right. You've got nothing to lose. If that doesn't work out, you should let others know about their work, so others don't get sucked in.

Looks like you've got enough material left to cut a new dovetail and not need welding.

Playing around in photoshop, it looks like you might have room to just get the slide recut.

The reference picture is much lower and farther forward. So much so, that the bottom of the sight may be lower than your current dovetail cut.

I'd send some pictures with measurements to the CZ custom shop and ask them if it's salvageable. I'd also have them do the work. Shame that you've had it refinished, though.

post-18709-1248288728_thumb.jpg

Did you contact the shop owner? You should let them know that you're not satisfied, although they should already know, and give them a chance to make it right. You've got nothing to lose. If that doesn't work out, you should let others know about their work, so others don't get sucked in.

Looks like you've got enough material left to cut a new dovetail and not need welding.

Oh, "they" certainly know about it.

As for giving the chance to make it right, usually I would agree. This is a far more convoluted and involved story than I'm sharing, but I'm certainly not in a rush to send "them" back anything of mine after nearly losing it entirely the first time. I'm gonna try and measure some things up when I get back home (which in retrospect, is what I probably should have already done). Contemplating fixing it myself (a friend of mine is a tool and die maker), but then I'd have to sink even more money into this project and buy a dovetail cutter. Grrrrrrrrrr. Reaffirms why good 'smiths are something that should be prized and held onto.

Playing around in photoshop, it looks like you might have room to just get the slide recut.

The reference picture is much lower and farther forward. So much so, that the bottom of the sight may be lower than your current dovetail cut.

I'd send some pictures with measurements to the CZ custom shop and ask them if it's salvageable. I'd also have them do the work. Shame that you've had it refinished, though.

Hmm.... sitting here at work with the entire Adobe design sweet in front of me, I never thought to try that. Thanks a lot; is it OK if I use your picture for reference?

I can't fault you for not wanting to send it back, but what about monetary compensation?

Working on it, but certainly not holding my breath. We'll see what turns out of all this mess. At the moment I'm just trying to see what's "fixable", and how to make that happen.

I'd say write off the last "person" as a learning experience. Contact CZ or Angus Hobdell and see who they recommend for the work and go that route. You'll be out the additional money but you'll know it's done RIGHT which after you've settled with the outlay of cash is all that matters.

As for those recommending second chances. I've done that with a smith when they obviously forgot something or didn't do it to my satisfaction. However this case seems to be one of extreme incompetence when it comes to gunsmithing. Run away.... run FAR away.

I'd say write off the last "person" as a learning experience. Contact CZ or Angus Hobdell and see who they recommend for the work and go that route. You'll be out the additional money but you'll know it's done RIGHT which after you've settled with the outlay of cash is all that matters.

As for those recommending second chances. I've done that with a smith when they obviously forgot something or didn't do it to my satisfaction. However this case seems to be one of extreme incompetence when it comes to gunsmithing. Run away.... run FAR away.

I'm not recommending he send it back. I don't know if it's a one man operation or a large shop. If it's a large shop, the owner may not know what was done and should be informed. It most certainly is a learning experience, but I don't think the shop should be able to profit from junk work like that.

That's just plain ugly. If it's a large/high volume shop, bump up

the chain and tell them about it. Don't deal with the dweeb

that did the work, he will just go into CYA mode. Get to the

guy that signs the paychecks and has his name on the sign.

If it's a little one guy operation, at least tell the guy that you

would appreciate it if he would take the money he screwed

you out of and pay the tuition on some milling machine lessons

at the local community college. We all have to learn sometime.

I've butchered my share of smithing jobs---but all the goofs

were on my own guns. If you are going to hang out a shingle

and take money, you had better have the skills, and not rely

on OJT.

The dovetail can be cut deeper no doubt, but I don't know if you can move it forward enough to clear your hammer. Anyway you can attach the slide to the frame and let the hammer rest on the part of the sight that it's hitting? When you sent them the slide to have the work done, did you send the sight with it? If so, I see no excuse for the poor workmanship represented there. I can tell you this much, I've never ruined anyone's gun or any part on the gun, but if I did, they wouldn't know about other than me telling them over a real tall mug as it would be replaced before they ever got it.

I hope you are able to get it fixed.

Hmm.... sitting here at work with the entire Adobe design sweet in front of me, I never thought to try that. Thanks a lot; is it OK if I use your picture for reference?

Absolutely. The reference CZ you provided is cut deep enough that some of the slide serration is missing. I'm optimistic that you have a lot left to work with.

Angus has a very good young tool and die man working with him. If that does not workout for you try Brazos, Bob does excellent work. or George at EGW, he is nearby.

But go to Angus first. He is a class act when it comes to guns.

Absolutely. The reference CZ you provided is cut deep enough that some of the slide serration is missing. I'm optimistic that you have a lot left to work with.

I think you have lots of room to melt that puppy.

Feel free to pm me the name of this place... I have my suspicions.

Guys, I sincerely appreciate your help.

I'm pretty deep into the CZ's, and I'm familiar with most of the people who do work to them (or at least, who advertise it in one way or another). Usually this kinda job wouldn't have went to the person doing it, but I figured I'd give him a chance. I honestly should have seen the writing on the wall earlier, but by the time I did it was too late. I've played in the gun game for a while now and hadn't gotten burned, so maybe my luck just finally ran out.

Did some measuring, and I think there should be room to re-cut it. It'll be buried fairly deep, but that's more than fine by me (I was just afraid of welding it). Only problem now is the actual dovetail itself, which is a little different than the BoMar type dovetail that everyone has cutters for. Decisions, decisions.....

I think you have lots of room to melt that puppy.

Feel free to pm me the name of this place... I have my suspicions.

I knew it; man Im sorry about that. .

Edited by Singlestack
Edited to remove "Hint"

I knew it; man Im sorry about that. .

Ain't that the truth....... I've gotten plenty of crap from my buddies about that one.

I don't know if I would be more upset by the poor quality of the workmanship or by having to wait nearly a year to receive the slide back...

I'm kinda torn myself........ Both have me slightly less than thrilled about the whole ordeal.

Let me toss in a good word for my friend Warren Moore at Protocall Design, a forum dealer and regular participant here as Toolguy. He offers lots of good free advice on the forum and is an exceptional machinst. If you wanted to send him a PM and check what it would cost to fix, I suspect you would be pleasantly surprised. Also, if parts or a replacement slide are needed, CZ-USA is headquartered in Kansas City near where we live and would be accessible.

Hope that works out for you, whatever you decide to do.