Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you run right to left with a long gun?

What's the best way of running with a rifle/shotgun from right to left without breaking the 180?

I saw a shooter running parallel to the 180 right to left using low ready... he broke the 180 as the muzzle was swinging to and fro. One stage had about a 30 yard run and the other had about a 20 yard run.

When running from right to left I usually just put the buttstock on the crook of the elbow right below the bicep with my palm up. The muzzle is pointed downrange and the buttstock is captured in between the crook.

That didn't really feel "fast" and felt really akward.

So what's a better way of holding a long run while running right to left?

I'm left handed, right to left works fine for me :roflol:

If all you are doing is moving with no shooting, do a total switch and carry the longgun left handed. When moving left/right I swich hands to carry it right handed and haul a$$...

If the stage requires more shooting while moving off sided, I try to find a couple of sweet spots where I can see all the targets from, and use those with the above or below technique...

You can also keep your hands where they are on the gun and cross your forearms, (strong arm under weak) pointing the muzzle uprange and moving. I use this to move short distances, 3-10 steps. learning to move/walk backwards while shooting will help.

being a lefty I have had to develop these techniques because of all the anti-lefty stage designs I run into...

jj

I have some video on my blog (www.kellynealsblog.wordpress.com under the Rio Salado Rifle-Shotgun Match June 13 section) which has both left to right and right to left movement. It's easier to watch than explain but I dismount the rifle with the buttstock over my shoulder and keep the muzzle roughly pointed downrange. Run to where you are going to go and remount as you are getting there.

Note I'm getting ready for the European Rifle Championship which will have very tight safety angles as opposed to a 180 so keeping the muzzle downrange is paramount over speed.

I will run with my rifle it like I do my pistol. Hold it with my strong hand only, stock lays under my forarm. this gives leverage to keep the muzzle pointed down range and relatively horizontal. Now if there is limited space or a long way to go I may also flip the rifle around and carry it left handed.

Chances are I will be reloading the shot gun so there is I have no set way other than be concious of where the barrel is pointed which results in some strange upperbody twisting and side shuffle running.

I have some video on my blog (www.kellynealsblog.wordpress.com under the Rio Salado Rifle-Shotgun Match June 13 section) which has both left to right and right to left movement. It's easier to watch than explain but I dismount the rifle with the buttstock over my shoulder and keep the muzzle roughly pointed downrange. Run to where you are going to go and remount as you are getting there.

Note I'm getting ready for the European Rifle Championship which will have very tight safety angles as opposed to a 180 so keeping the muzzle downrange is paramount over speed.

Very cool. Thanks for the video and explanation. Also your blog is very informative-thanks for taking the time to do it! Keep us posted about European Rifle.

Edited by Jadeslade

I roll my left thumb over the top of the barrel and hold the gun with just my left hand. The balance point works out well and I have a very solid grip on the gun. Allows me to face my body 90deg to the bay with the gun in front of me, parallel to my chest, barrel clearly facing dwonrange.

If I am only moving a short distance I will hold the rifle in my strong hand like Chris described. If I am moving a pretty good distance or over uneven ground I will grab the rifle with my left hand like Jason described. I feel I have better control and more room for error with the left hand hold.

• 7 months later...

If it's long enough to make it worth sprinting then I'd just switch to left handed. I like keeping two hands on the rifle. I just feel safer and feel like I have better control if I stumble or something.

Anything shorter than that I stay pretty much at the low ready and try to keep my body square to the targets. probably more side stepping than anything but you can turn your hips and run while still staying square with your upper body. If I feel like the muzzle is going to swing to much then I can move the rifle up a bit so the stock extends above my right shoulder with my right hand still on the pistol grip but about the same height as my right shoulder. That lets me use my left hand tighter to my body to control the swing.

buddy and i were talkin about this very concept last night. if im going to run right to left (being right handed) and i know i wont shoot anything from point A to point B, im planning on switching hands (grab the rail with my right hand, stock with the left) and haul ass. then switch back to normal when i get to point B. im used to switching hands enough that i htink its faster for me to take a lil time and switch, then run full out, then try to hold the rifle downrange with my regular grip and run kinda funky.

Rifle, pistol, or shotgun...if I'm running right to left I hold it solely with my right hand, pointed downrange, with my wrist rolled over such that my palm is facing downard. The guys at the AMU Junior camp taught that to the kids and it has worked for me with rifle and shotgun, too.

• 1 month later...

Rifle, pistol, or shotgun...if I'm running right to left I hold it solely with my right hand, pointed downrange, with my wrist rolled over such that my palm is facing downard. The guys at the AMU Junior camp taught that to the kids and it has worked for me with rifle and shotgun, too.

Very interesting technique.

Any video/pictures of this in use?

• 4 weeks later...

in a previous sport that myself and Corey participated in, switching hands and shooting with both was a necessity/requirement. Its second nature for myself that(with a long gun, not a handgun) if moving right to left, to just switch sides and shoot "weak" side, as with a long gun, I shoot either way just as accurately and quickly as I do with my strong side..... now pistol, that's a whole other story....

When moving for a decent distance from right to left, I leave my hands on the gun like JJ says and tuck my pistol grip in under my left arm. It keeps the gun almost perfectly perpendicular to the back berm. I don't like just hanging onto it with my right hand as if I were really fast (which I'm not) you can outrun your own arm and have it on or past the 180 behind you.

Keep in mind, I'd rather take an extra second to be safe. I am not fighting for nanoseconds like the top guys are. When I didn't think about it once, I was VERY CLOSE(read OH CRAP!) to the 180 running with it held regularly, muzzle downish!!

I've had RO's thank me for running right to left and not scare them by tucking it!

• 10 months later...

This doesn't work for everyone, but if you have a short stock, you can keep both hands on the rifle (left on foregrip or grabbing front of magwell, right on fire control). The rifle will be roughly parallel to your left arm and the stock will float somewhere around your left armpit (or left hip, if you have a longer stock).

You don't have to hold the rifle perfectly perpendicular to your direction of travel, just far enough away from the 180 that there's no question you're safe.

I roll my left thumb over the top of the barrel and hold the gun with just my left hand. The balance point works out well and I have a very solid grip on the gun. Allows me to face my body 90deg to the bay with the gun in front of me, parallel to my chest, barrel clearly facing dwonrange.

Dump 8 or 9 rounds as fast as you can downrange and put your thumb on that barrel without some sort of shroud on the barrel or glove. You can't tell me that it's not hot. Try doing that here in El Paso in the middle of the summer when your gun is already about 150 deg F before you start shooting. Ouch.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep the gun pointed down range and then rotate myself around the gun and carry it in my right hand. I reverse the move when I get to where I need to be. Video of me doing this at the Pan Am starts at 40 seconds.

Doug

I will run with my rifle it like I do my pistol. Hold it with my strong hand only, stock lays under my forarm. this gives leverage to keep the muzzle pointed down range and relatively horizontal. Now if there is limited space or a long way to go I may also flip the rifle around and carry it left handed.

Chances are I will be reloading the shot gun so there is I have no set way other than be concious of where the barrel is pointed which results in some strange upperbody twisting and side shuffle running.

I do this exactly. The rifle tips over on its side and I can pump my arms to go faster.

just hold the grip in the right hand out to the side and run with it pointed at the berm. If I have to shoot on the way or reload a shotgun, I do a crossover side step. Very stable and that gun is not going to break 180. Its not going to be flat out run fast but if shooting is done on the way or reloading a shotgun is needed it can be done plenty fast and is stable without the gun bounching all over