Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Doable open gun build?

Ledge

Do the 9mm and .40 M&P's share the same frame? I've got my M&P in .40 that I shoot limited with. What I'm wondering is if I could pick up a 9mm slide, drop in a barrel and a comp, and add a Burris or Jpoint to it. Pick up some 9mm mags, and 170mm extensions, and go to town. Would it work? Will S&W sell me a 9mm slide to do it?

Joe hit it, you're better off buying a new gun rather than changing top ends from a price stand point.

The rest of the plan is solid. I am tesing a new comp I designed just for the M&Ps to shoot 9 major, it is working well so far so I should have them ready to go very soon. They will be an easy screw on for the storm lake barrels.

I am hoping to get be able to get shooters into open with an M&P with all drop in parts. (and no I don't mean by slapping some grip tape on the slide)

I am hoping to get be able to get shooters into open with an M&P with all drop in parts. (and no I don't mean by slapping some grip tape on the slide)

that would be very cool; I want to be a beta tester..

I cannot say what WWB is but my 9 major load for my open M&P is a montanna gold 115gr with 8.9gr HS-6 loaded to 1.150 chronos a 175pf out of my gun. when I went to 1.155 I was having some issues with the rounds not chambering every time.

• 2 weeks later...
How long of a bullet will M&P mags take ? How many are fitting and feeding in the magazines ?

I dont go past 1.135. 1.15 is pushing it in clean mags.

Huh?? I load to 1.15 with no problems. Plus the Remington and Blazer Brass I have checked are 1.15 as well. Seems pretty standard. Edited by sandman

SAAMI spec max length is 1.169" COAL. Anything less than that can be found in commercial ammunition. Most of the readily available commercial ammo I have measured was 1.150". I have a Type 6 "Ammunitions Manufacturing" license so all of that has been of interest to me lately.

1.150 fits most mags that could be why Commercail Ammo is that length. I was loading at 1.160 and went to a 3-Gun with the Wife's Marlin Camp 9 which uses S&W 5900 mags and couldn't get the bullets in the S&W factory mags, I did get them into a MecGar mag. Won the Match.

My original post up there ^ was mostly based on my 40sw M&P experience.

Im still drinking my coffee, so I need to figure out why 1.15" .40s stack up and jam in magazines, while 9mms dont.

Im all but certain the 9mm and 40 mags are the same, save the lips and follower.

So is must be the stacking characteristics; how the case rim of the round belowis behind the one above.

like I said, coffee.

So when are one of you high speed machinist types going to make a scope mount for the M&P and get away from the slide mounted goofiness?

Rich

The slide frame fit on M&P's would make a frame mount quite inaccurate. Could it be done yes, but if the slide and frame don't lock up the same each time you would get patterns not groups. Unless of course you wanted to get into a whole lot of additional costs of welding up the frame rails refitting the barrel and all that fun stuff which then you are talking about a good bit of money, might as well get a 2011 (OK might still come in a few bucks less but you get my drift)

• 3 weeks later...

I am new to this whole thing and have been shooting m&p 9 so far and peobably shouldnt be in this conversation cause I have NOOOO idea what I am talking about but have wanted to try open. Now the cost of an open gun is intimidating to say the least. If I bought the special ops 9 with the threaded barrel couldnt I have a comp machined and timed to fit this? As for a scope mount unless there is one out there some where I havnt seen one would have to be made, it could mount to the piciny (sorry spelling) rail and somehow come back and up over. Couldnt I also go as far as to have the barrel ported and have the slide opened up acordingly. I am sure there would be spring changes that I dont know about. Now you say there is already a 2# trigger out there as well as mag well and mag extension. Im not sure what machining cost would be with tooling up for the job but I will pull a number out of my but of $1000 or less. Then you could have an open gun for a begginer in the $15-1600 range. ...LOL maybe it isnt that easy. This is just what my uneducated mind came up with. :goof:

Todd

I am new to this whole thing and have been shooting m&p 9 so far and peobably shouldnt be in this conversation cause I have NOOOO idea what I am talking about but have wanted to try open. Now the cost of an open gun is intimidating to say the least. If I bought the special ops 9 with the threaded barrel couldnt I have a comp machined and timed to fit this? As for a scope mount unless there is one out there some where I havnt seen one would have to be made, it could mount to the piciny (sorry spelling) rail and somehow come back and up over. Couldnt I also go as far as to have the barrel ported and have the slide opened up acordingly. I am sure there would be spring changes that I dont know about. Now you say there is already a 2# trigger out there as well as mag well and mag extension. Im not sure what machining cost would be with tooling up for the job but I will pull a number out of my but of $1000 or less. Then you could have an open gun for a begginer in the $15-1600 range. ...LOL maybe it isnt that easy. This is just what my uneducated mind came up with. :goof:

Todd

You are right it doesn't really take much there is already a few slide mounts for the small red dot like the Jpoint and doctor. I will have the threaded comps shortly for the storm lake barrels. There are just a couple other tweaks to get to run well, but nothing major that I have found YET. I have been testing the tar out of mine so time will tell.

Todd

Then again, you could just go and buy a new CZ75 (or it's clone, Tanfoglio) already set up this way for about the same cost. I think a tricked out CZ or Tanfoglio will run you about $1,200-$1,500 for this already done at the factory. That way you can keep your M&P 9, and get a new blaster for around the same cost as it would take to modify yours! ;)

post-18733-1249135518_thumb.png

Edited by GrumpyOne

Todd

Then again, you could just go and buy a new CZ75 (or it's clone, Tanfoglio) already set up this way for about the same cost. I think a tricked out CZ or Tanfoglio will run you about $1,200-$1,500 for this already done at the factory. That way you can keep your M&P 9, and get a new blaster for around the same cost as it would take to modify yours! ;)

Cz Champions no longer imported to the US.

Not to mention even if you could get them you still need the mount and red dot so you are back at the 2K mark by the time you get it all mounted by a gunsmith.

If you already have an M&P you will likely need around $600-700(ball park not a promise) to get into open. Since all the parts are mostly :unsure: drop in you won't need a gunsmith.

Not to mention even if you could get them you still need the mount and red dot so you are back at the 2K mark by the time you get it all mounted by a gunsmith.

If you already have an M&P you will likely need around $600-700(ball park not a promise) to get into open. Since all the parts are mostly :unsure: drop in you won't need a gunsmith.

Find one used!