Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cannot make up my mind on handguards

I'm having trouble picking a new handguard for my 18" ar15.

I see a lot of recommendations on here for the JP/VTAC handguard, and it does look good but I've read that it can really get hot when out in the sun for a while.

I have been debating the VTAC, the hi-perform carbon fiber guard (because I am not sure if I need rails, but maybe it would be nice to have the option for a flashlight for a low-light stage), and the YHM Smooth Rifle handguard (seems very similar to the VTAC, but its $130 and has rails pre-mounted near the end)

I dont have any plans to mount iron sights or red dots on the 1.5 o clock

Here in Florida I haven't noticed my V-Tac getting hot in the sun and it stays a whole lot cooler than any of the 4 rail ones.

I prefer the mounting and feel of the JP to any I have used.

I don't like the design of the Houge or the Clark carbon fiber but the MSTN design is nice.

Clark carbon handguard = 6oz. Any of 'em will get warm to hot if left in the sun too long. Keep it bagged and cool. But, that being said, I have both JP/VTAC and Clark and the Clark is cooler on long strings of fire, comparitively. The YHM (had previously) will cook you on a long stage. (and its heavier!)

I Have the VTac handaguard

I had one match (temp was in the 105 range) .. where the rifle had to be statged in the direct sun for a little while.. While you got ready with a shotgun and shot that part of the stage.. by the time we got to our rifles.. they were incredibly hot.. but that's the only time it's happened.

Now, I try to keep it covered as long as possible.. it doesn't take much cover to keep it reasonable.

I wish it was lighter.. but it's got the best 'grip' to it that I've found so far..

I'm having trouble picking a new handguard for my 18" ar15.

I see a lot of recommendations on here for the JP/VTAC handguard, and it does look good but I've read that it can really get hot when out in the sun for a while.

I have been debating the VTAC, the hi-perform carbon fiber guard (because I am not sure if I need rails, but maybe it would be nice to have the option for a flashlight for a low-light stage), and the YHM Smooth Rifle handguard (seems very similar to the VTAC, but its $130 and has rails pre-mounted near the end)

I dont have any plans to mount iron sights or red dots on the 1.5 o clock

PRI Carbon fiber are good. Everything gets hot-metal retains more heat.

The Yankee Hill gets hotter than the JP. It's because of the texture. The YH is smooth, and the JP has a textured surface which dissipates heat and your skin is only touching the high spots (reduced contact area = less heat transfer). I have both.

I prefer the Clark Carbon fiber becuase of the weight.

It gets hot like all of the rest of them sitting in the rack so I will be keping mine in my bag on hot days.

If you are going to load up the hand guard with stuff a VTAC or JP would work well.

Robert

L2723

Thanks for the replies, I've never touched anything carbon fiber to know how hot it gets. Did not know either about the texturing on the VTAC helping.

Probably going to get a VTAC, but if I paint it with Duracoat, will that get rid of the rough texturing?

I doubt that the Duracoat will affect the texture.

I have a POF (piston) which has what looks like a truck bed-liner coating on the handguard. It has neve been hot to the touch, even in high round count stages at Ironman. Of course, the piston system naturally runs cooler than the DI guns. Still, that might be an option to consider.

My preference is a Hogue. It is not sexy and it is not expensive but when you have your hand on it it does not move and overheating is not an issue. Of course the relatively light weight and price does not hurt either.

I like the vtac I like the construction of the barrel nut assembly and how it seperates the clocking of the tube from the torque on the barrel nut. Also JP supports the sport however...

For a light weight gammer gun get the Clark (who also supports the sport).

If it getting hot in the sun bothers you, paint it a light color.

I don't like the armalite (the one I had was too large in diameter and heavier than it needed to be.)

Peter Adams

FY-39604

Edited by caspian guy

The Armalite tube is a big diameter tube, which I like, however they are very heavy as the barrel nut the thin mounts to is one big honkin chunk of steel, I made a new nut for mine out of Aluminum and shaved off almost 3/4 pound! Good handguard though! KurtM