Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Competition Gun for my son

I really wasn't sure where to post this question, but here is as good as anywhere.

My son, 10 yo, has quite an interest in shooting. He goes to the range with me often and has shot all the pistols and revolvers we have at the house. He has been out a couple of times at our local club matches, even shot our .22 Beretta Neos a couple of weeks ago at a fun match and is hooked already.

I want to get him into a setup he can actually use for competition. Does anyone have any advice on whether he should stick with a 9mm or 40 in a Limited or Production. One guy advised me to get him an Open race gun as he can be more successful quickly and keep his interest, but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much right now.

I prefer shooting production in 9mm, but I'm open to what has worked for some of you and your juniors.

Thanks in advance for the input.

I really wasn't sure where to post this question, but here is as good as anywhere.

My son, 10 yo, has quite an interest in shooting. He goes to the range with me often and has shot all the pistols and revolvers we have at the house. He has been out a couple of times at our local club matches, even shot our .22 Beretta Neos a couple of weeks ago at a fun match and is hooked already.

I want to get him into a setup he can actually use for competition. Does anyone have any advice on whether he should stick with a 9mm or 40 in a Limited or Production. One guy advised me to get him an Open race gun as he can be more successful quickly and keep his interest, but I'm not sure if I want to spend that much right now.

I prefer shooting production in 9mm, but I'm open to what has worked for some of you and your juniors.

Thanks in advance for the input.

If you're shooting production in 9, why not start him there with a setup similar to yours? That way you each have a backup gun you're familiar with, you'll already have a lot of the holsters, mags, specialized tools, etc., and you'll be competing in the same division. Who doesn't want to beat Dad at his own game?

Also, Glocks, M&Ps, and XDs are pretty affordable compared to lim and open guns!

I second the idea that he should have a handgun similar to yours.

I would lean towards the M&P or the XD mainly from my experience, but Glocks are good handguns. I really prefer metal frame handguns myself, but recognize the usefulness of polymer frame handguns also.

I shoot revolver primarily myself, and shoot a Beretta in competition otherwise. The grip of the beretta I think would be too big for a 10 year old, but I have seen some pretty big youths now and then. :surprise:

Edited by Blueridge

I always recommend a Glock 34 and Production Class for a new shooter.

A glock 17 or 34 and 4 or 5 arredondo mag extensions. Limited minor. Teach them to shoot, not have to figure out where to reload. Then when they become proficient change them over to Lim major or production.

This is what I'm currently doing with my 14 year old daughter. My 12 year old son isn't strong enough to manipulate the gun or stabilize it for a long course of fire yet.

A glock 17 or 34 and 4 or 5 arredondo mag extensions. Limited minor. Teach them to shoot, not have to figure out where to reload. Then when they become proficient change them over to Lim major or production.

This is what I'm currently doing with my 14 year old daughter. My 12 year old son isn't strong enough to manipulate the gun or stabilize it for a long course of fire yet.

While I can see your reasoning for limited minor, I see production also teaching wise use of resources. The fewer rounds you have, the better use you have to make of them. I became a much better auto shooter once I started shooting revolver, because I knew that misses cost me time by making me reload more. Now I shoot autos much better than before, and make better use of ammunition.

There is nothing at all wrong with shooting limited minor to place the focus on shooting, as long as ammunition is used wisely. I personally think 10 rounds per magazine for production is enough to start with and handles most stages fine. Limited would probably only reduce the number of required reloads by 1 on most stages, I would think.

Either path is a good one, but with anything you must choose what is best for you. :)

Edited by Blueridge

I started out with a .38 S&W, and HKS speed loaders. Learning to keep a good sight picture while manipulating the trigger made the switch to autos a breeze. Now I can shoot both smoothly, and trigger control is not an issue.

Just a thought.JZ

Dad, nephew, and I all shoot together. When nephew started, Dad already had a limited gun and that is what nephew used. Dad said when you make "C" and show some proficiency, I'll let you switch to a race gun. Nephew now shoots open. Ok, that said, I'd let him shoot a nine in production. He will learn the game and become proficient in all aspects. Some really soft minor loads out there and tons of info for reloading it on this site. I would use whatever nine that fits the game that I already own. If not, I think the Glock, XD, S&W M&P, are all good choices. With a child, I might lean towards the S&W because of the various interchangeable grip panels. This might give the lad a better fit. You can't go wrong with any of them though.

I love shooting with the family. Kudos to you, have fun.

My 11 year old started 2 years ago with an M&P9. I like that the small backstrap allows him to grip the gun better. I didn't let him shoot one-handed for a few months until I was sure that he could control it.

ETA: It is good for Production, but he also shoots Limited minor with the Arredondo extensions that allow the mags to hold 22 or 23.

Edited by High Lord Gomer

My 11 year old started 2 years ago with an M&P9. I like that the small backstrap allows him to grip the gun better. I didn't let him shoot one-handed for a few months until I was sure that he could control it.

ETA: It is good for Production, but he also shoots Limited minor with the Arredondo extensions that allow the mags to hold 22 or 23.

He's a good and safe shooter, and a fine young man.

Ya done good!

Thanks to all of you who have chimed in. I already have an XDm in 9mm with the small backstrap and I also have small hands. I have made all of the legal changes to the gun except the trigger job and I hope to give this one to my son to get started. He already shoots it well, but right now it's the only competition gun I have.

I'm in the process of trying to find the XDm in .40 already setup for Limited so I can shoot both guns in Prod and Limited and Limited 10 if I wish ( I LOVE the XDm line). I'm in negotiations for one now, but if any of you know of someone who has one for sale.....

I agree that having him stick to Production will help him learn the ropes - that's exactly what I have done.

Thanks again!

Production vs. Limited for a new young shooter. I would decide based on the shooters accuracy. Running a course with a Texas star or distant plates might be a little more discouraging if the shooter is going through a lot of magazines trying to get it. I let my daughter (13) shoot a G17 in limited so she can fill up the magazines. I have not added extensions to her mags but she runs them with 17 in them. Her placing is not important to either of us at this point. If hitting an 8" plate from 20+ yards is no issue then production is fine. You just don't want to discourage him. My kids join me when they want (they are always invited) for IPSC, IDPA, 3-Gun, and Steel. Steel Challenge is nice because they can run .22s to keep the cost down a little bit and gets them 200+ shots in a morning. Supplying the Ammo for three shooters for 3-Gun is not cheap to do every month but I feel it is money well spent.

I started out with a .38 S&W, and HKS speed loaders. Learning to keep a good sight picture while manipulating the trigger made the switch to autos a breeze. Now I can shoot both smoothly, and trigger control is not an issue.

Just a thought.JZ

+1 on revolver. Both of my kids started on revolver, and then graduated to 1911s.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add my .02, even though it's a little different than the rest. If you think he will eventually migrate to an open gun, I would stay away from the Glock. WAIT WAIT WAIT, lol. Here's the reason. The Glock grip angle is SO different than the 1911,2011 that it is a completely different animal. I agree it should be some form of production 9mm, but I'd go with a Springfield XD, or even a limited 1911 style in 9mm. Or a 2011 gun in limited that could later be upgraded to open without buying an entirely new gun. And then your holster, mags and pouches would all be the same. Not to mention his familiarity to it. I would set a goal that he has to reach before graduating to the open gun, such as Master or at least A class. That way you make sure he has the fundamentals of sight picture, trigger control down before he adds a dot or comp. Just my take anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with bbbean on this one. A kid getting to shoot WITH his dad in the same division gives you both something to continue to bond over. Rehashing the stages and what ammo to load... when to make a magazine change etc. Plus there is the backup gun thing as well for BOTH of you. Although any shooting you do together will be a valued memory in future years, being in the same squad and even sort of competing against each other would be golden! My dad was a cop... but we never got to shoot together, and it's something I will always wish had happened. I miss that ol' guy. Oh wait... now I"M an old guy!

"Thank You" to all of you who chimed in giving advice and encouragement

I am going to let my son use my XDm 9mm since it is fully competition ready, I already have all the gear for it, and he handles it well. He has struggled with racking the slide, but now he's getting it just fine. With the small backstrap, it fits his hands better than most other double stack 9s.

I have decided to buy myself a single stack 1911 STI Trojan and move into SS/L10. My intent is running it in SS/L10, then I can upgrade it to Limited and Open when the time comes for both of us.

I started my son at 5 1/2 with a P22 shooting IDPA. At 8 years old he started shooting my G19. He shoots my competition loads, about 134k out of my G34. He does great. He'll be 10 in December. The G19 works best because he can easily draw the gun. The longer barrels are tough for him to clear the holster. He loves my G34 though.

He's now 3-gunning with me. Glad to see you are getting him envolved. Shooting with your kids is the BEST!!!!

Edited by shooterready