Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Teenager shooters

Might want to consider airsoft for 'practice' time -- 5K rounds <$15, if you look around.

Hey, if they're on the range, they're not out on the streets or getting into something somewhere else. ^_^

Ya, I have a 22 conversion, but started them out on 9mm to eval where they were at. Still, they killed half a .50 cal ammo can loose loaded with 9mm in two sessions. My primer situation just went to critical and I killed half a 4lb'er of N320 just trying to keep up. My arms are like rubber after working the reloader the last two days.

Needless to say, I've introduced them to dry firing practice. Dang, Walmart better get some .22lr in soon.

I've got a 16 year old daughter who for the first time ever accepted my invitation to come out to the range this week. She couldn't quit pulling the trigger (or grinning). Now its,"when are we going back to the range?"

I've got a 16 year old daughter who for the first time ever accepted my invitation to come out to the range this week. She couldn't quit pulling the trigger (or grinning). Now its,"when are we going back to the range?"

Humm! from a fathers prospective this might be a good thing.

post-1639-1245582968_thumb.jpg

they burn through it..I am almost totally out of .22lr and going to have to sit down and reload more 9mm.

great to have my 9-year-old with me, but man besides milk, bread, peanut butter, this is going to cost me.

I finally received my .22LR from Cabela's that I ordered in April. The Marvel 1911 .22 conversion definitely helps keep my kids' ammo cost down - and IMHO the .22 is good for refining a lot of essential shooting skills. Irregardless, I consider ammo for my kids money well spent.

I am going to build a open Bianchi gun for my MissFFL and a open Bianchi gun from a 22/45 ruger with a bull barrel. I can practice cheeper and so can she.

dcs

• 3 weeks later...

Both my 13 and 17 year old daughters shoot with me now, which got my wife back interested in it also.

Yep - it's expensive!! But, as mentioned above - money very well spent.

Working on the 22 conversion myself now - who ever thought that 22 ammo would be hard to get?? This is crazy...

BTW - the cartoon above is GREAT!

Thanks Paul. I think I'm good for the summer, but we'll see. My 12 year old just isn't ready for USPSA yet, but I have him shooting the glock with 22 conversion at practice and steel matches. As you know, my 14 year old is doing both USPSA matches and steel matches.

Note to all those parents out there, at a steel match, limit the ammo for each string. Wow, does aiming occur quicker, and ammo doesn't get burned through so fast. I've limited one mag per string, 10 rounds only. You run out, you take the misses. I see they are still just tossing it at the steel, I take more rounds out.

Additional nuggets of learning for other parents out there. Don't RO your kids at matches. Have others do it. It's more fair and instills a sense of them being just another shooter. Make your kids do their own walk throughs on stages, and then help them refine their plans afterwards. I could see my daughter was just sitting there waiting for me to tell her how to shoot stages. Uh, that lasted all of one match. She got to walk and figure out her own stragety and shoot that plan the next match with very little help. Some stages, I see she has the right idea on the plan, I don't say anything and let her do it.

I've cut my daughter some slack these first three uspsa matches on the helping out. This will change the next match now that she has shown herself as safe as the rest of us. I wanted her concentrating on not DQing again. She didn't take the 180 thing to heart, and got DQed the first match. It was the best thing that could have ever happened to her. She now takes the 180 and her finger out of the trigger guard very seriously. Best learning experience she could have had. Another reason to have others RO your kids and for them to be treated just like every other new shooter.

Last thing, I ask her if she got her hits when she's done, not what her time was. Until she's solid in her fundamentals, her time just doesn't matter. Interesting note in this area, she's figured out very much on her own that time matters and has speeded up her movements from shooting position to shooting position. When she comfortable with the movement, she is already running, safely. Guess watching Avery, Higdon, Jr, and the likes is already having an effect.

Best advice I've gotten is to allow my daughter to take the shooting where she wants, not where I want. I give her the options to shoot or not, practice or not. I explain things, but she has to find out what she wants out of her shooting. I'm just there to show her what to do after her decisions.

You been watching Nick The Six haven't you?

Rich

Hey! I've really tried to cut back... <_<

:roflol:

been drypracticing more...

:cheers:

Sadly USC, I didn't get to watch him shoot when he was here in CO and shot up in Weld. I was on another squad. Considering my BHFF was cut based on the way his was designed, he found me at the match.

Nick's at a very different place than my teens, I just started them. I suspect my ammo consumption will quadruple by the time I get all three out and on their own. I'm going to try to take over AMU vicariously through my kids :ph34r: .

Thanks Paul. I think I'm good for the summer, but we'll see. My 12 year old just isn't ready for USPSA yet, but I have him shooting the glock with 22 conversion at practice and steel matches. As you know, my 14 year old is doing both USPSA matches and steel matches.

No problem. The 9mm I have is remanufactured stuff, not sure what bullet weight it is but it's been sitting in my closet for about 4-5 years. So if you need it just drop me a line and I can bring it to the next match, worst case they can just use it for practice, there's no charge.

I've cut my daughter some slack these first three uspsa matches on the helping out. This will change the next match now that she has shown herself as safe as the rest of us.

That's cool. I could have used some workers on my squad last weekend. It seems half of them were content to stand around while 6-7 of us did all the work... It screwed me over on one stage so bad I quit the match... Not a good day.

Note to all those parents out there, at a steel match, limit the ammo for each string. Wow, does aiming occur quicker, and ammo doesn't get burned through so fast. I've limited one mag per string, 10 rounds only. You run out, you take the misses. I see they are still just tossing it at the steel, I take more rounds out.

That is a great idea! (I just hope he doesn't limit *me* to 10 rounds)

Big High-5's to the two younger shooters who realize pulling their weight starts at home....

Doesn't it make you fill all warm inside to see teenagers at the range. My son was 9 when he started shooting competetively, now he is 20 and paying his own entry fees and buying components while going to college. Our good friend and my sons boss works him during the summer months to pay for most of it. He travels to all the matches with him. They grow up to quickly. Enjoy it while you can. Money well spent. Dad still has to help with the reloading of 25k rounds a year though.

Dad and I share the task of buying components, and making it. We all put whatever financial resources we can into ammo costs, and whoever has the free time makes the ammo, but it is often dad reloading while i'm standing by dryfiring lol. I can confidently say i've reloaded a good solid 7-9% of all the ammo i've shot :ph34r:

lol. :roflol:

Dad and I share the task of buying components, and making it. We all put whatever financial resources we can into ammo costs, and whoever has the free time makes the ammo, but it is often dad reloading while i'm standing by dryfiring lol. I can confidently say i've reloaded a good solid 7-9% of all the ammo i've shot :ph34r:

lol. :roflol:

7-9% !! I be happy if my kids helped load just 1-2%! Helping to pay for their ammo?? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:roflol:

• 3 weeks later...
7-9% !! I be happy if my kids helped load just 1-2%! Helping to pay for their ammo?? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can honestly say that I load at least 50% of my ammo..................25% of the time :)

• 2 weeks later...