Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo packaging question

We're flying out this weekend for Area 5 and the American Airlines agent just told me my ammo could be stored right in my checked baggage as long as it was in the factory cardboard box. I was always under the impression that ammo had to be in a locked container as well. How does everyone else fly with it and where do you put it for the plane ride?

Thanks,

Blake

Checked baggage goes into the cargo hold. I always put mine in Dillon Ammo boxes, with a piece of cardboard on top of the cases to stop them rattling. Then put those into a plastic/metal ammo can that goes into a locked suitcase. If they say anything about the cardboard boxes for ammo just tell them that the plastic containers are stronger.

I've never had a problem by doing that.

Edited by BritinUSA

See http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=85570, et seq.

Most airlines will let you carry 5 kg (11#) of ammo in your checked baggage. Anything more than that will have to be shipped. If several of you are traveling together, each of you may carry 5 kg/11# of ammo.

There are multiple threads which discuss shipping ammo (if you need more than 5 kg/11#): which carrier(s), the necessity to take it to a 'hub' facility (eg: not the UPS Store), labeling, etc.

I put my reloads in a plastic ammo box - like the ones from J+J or Dillon and then put those in a cardboard box.

I've had my ammo in the same suitcase along with locked gunbox with no issue.

I think most ailines limit the ammo weight to 11#s

What he said... as long as it's secured, it's usually good to go.

I've never heard of the "factory ammo box" thing. I've taken reloads in plastic ammo boxes before no problem.

I think she meant that you can't have them loose or in a zip lock baggie or something. I'd call back and double check though.

Frank

Blake,

The plastic ammo boxes are fine (I have flown all over with them). As stated before, put a piece of cardboard in the lid to prevent rattling and then use clear packing tape to seal them.

Be sure to take extra. 11 lbs per traveller is allowed. That means your Mom and Dad can also carry ammo in their luggage. Take advantage of that. Don't run short.

When I went to the World Shoot in 2005, John, my wife, and my daughter each carried 11lbs of ammo. I was one of the few that had enough to finish the match.

Good luck.

I typically will use recycled cardboard ammo boxes and dividers that I get from the range when I travel. That way I can just throw away the empty containers when I use up the rounds. This isn't due to any travel restrictions just my own desire to not have to mess with the empty plastic containers on the return flight.

ALWAYS leave a couple of empty slots in one of your ammo boxes in case TSA finds a loose round in your shooting bag at baggage check.

Doing so would have saved me an hour waiting for two TSA staffers on site, one at the other end of the phone, one airline representative and one police officer try to figure out what to do with the stray round (which was eventually donated to the airline, although they did offer to store it for me until my return).

Can someone confirm this statement: I can carry up to 11 lbs of ammo with me on the flight provided it's in the boxes as described above AND I can carry that ammo in the same locked container that the pistols are in. Here's where I'm going with this, I can ship the ammo to the match ahead of time and if I plan correctly I won't have more then 400 rounds of .40 ammo (11 lbs) to bring home with me. I don't have to bother shipping that ammo, I can just bring it with me in my lugggage. I will be carrying the pistols in a locked pelican case so the ammo should be good in there right? I guess I'm just trying to confirm if I need another lockable case for the ammo.

Thanks,

Alfie

It used to be that they wanted gun/ammo in separate suitcases, so if one got stolen they didn't get enough for a functioning gun. So I always put ammo and gun in separate cases. I also remove a couple of key components of my gun, such as slide stop, firing pin and stop.

That way if someone does steal my gun it won't work unless they do the legwork and order the relevant parts. I keep those parts in the other suitcase.

When I pack my gun I also field strip before putting it in the pistol case. That way if someone wants to check that the gun is empty I just have to hand them the barrel.

Never have used cardboard boxes. Don't see it happening either. Dillon boxes, a little cardboard padding, taped shut, in the range bag and that goes in to a rolling duffle (fits within limits so no large bag fee).

Rich

I just flew from Oregon to Orlando last week with 600 rounds of 115 9mm packed loosely in two cardboard boxes. I also did this a few years ago flying into Vegas. I think you will find that most of the people you will deal with don't know exactly what to do. If you act with certainty, you can lead them a bit.

The TSA is there to enforce the airline's rules, so it is the airline that you need to call. I flew Delta, and they had an (edit for weight correction) 11 pound limit per suitcase. They weren't going to let me fly with it because they "thought" the ammo needed to be packed in factory boxes. I just had them read me the policy, which said something like, "securely packaged in plastic, metal, wood or fiberboard." Cardboard is fiberboard, and I was able to talk them into letting me go. I did have each box taped up securely.

Pistol was in a lock box in the same suitcase.

I then did the same routine with TSA. Your results may vary.

Edited by trevoro

Most airlines prefer that the ammo not be stored in the same locked container as the pistol. Lock the pistol in a small lockable hardsided pistol case. Put your ammo in the range bag. Either recycled factory cardboard boxes or plastic. Seal them with tape! Make sure if you are using plastic containers to put cardboard or towels in also so they do not rattle. You can put the pistol case and ammo in the same piece of luggage. Lock the luggage. Seriously do not put the ammo in with the gun in the pistol case. It just freaks them out.

Just as some info for the 11 lb limit. I went to the post office today and weighed a box of 9 major ammo. 124grain MG, 8.4 grains HS-6, mixed brass, Dillon box. First time I weighed it was exactly 3.0lbs. Weighed it again and it was 2 lbs, 15.9oz. I'll weigh 350 next time in boxes to see if it stays under 11lbs.

Per ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) rules the maximum ammo per person in checked baggage is 5kg (11 pounds). Every US domestic Part 121 Air Carrier that I'm aware of including Delta follows the ICAO rules. Granted whatever carrier you're flying, check the rules of carriage and the website for anything weird.

Not to slam 'ya trevoro but pull up www.delta.com and type ammunition in the search window. One of the hits is the airlines policy on ammunition and it follows the 5kg limit.

Packing the ammo follows the same guidelines as shipping ammo via ground carrier as ORM-D. The plastic ammo boxes are fine. Scrounging cardboard and foam factory ammo boxes out of the trash at the range is fine. The intent is that ammo not be packed loose so tha accidental primer detonation cannot occur. However shipping a loaded mag is a no-no. Adding cardboard or foam to the plastic ammo boxes to prevent rattling is an excellent idea. Again, check with the individual carrier. For example, Delta doesn't list plastic boxes as an acceptable container. From their website, "Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes." Some hardnose may say no to Dillon ammo boxes.

Although some air carriers allow firearms and ammo in the same box, do yourself a favor and separate the two. Between the carrier and the TSA somebody is going to freak. Doesn't mean the two can't be in the same checked bag, just don't put the bullets next to the gun.

The link to Shred's post is excellent however it's already out of date less than a month after the post. Shred says that Continental doesn't follow the 11 pound limit. Just checked the site a few minutes ago and the limit is 11 pounds. The lesson here is check early and often with your carrier.

I have flown three times with ammo and I have put it in factory boxes and then taped the boxes with scotch tape. I bring my shooting bag with the ammo boxes in the bottom and the gun in a locked plastic pistol gun case on top of the ammo. I put a lock or two on the pistol case. I normally put a towel between the ammo and the gun. The third time I took more than 11lbs. of ammo. They have yet to check the weight of the ammo. Each person flying can take 11lbs. of ammo, so if you are flying with someone else, you can give ammo to them to check also. Just make sure they declare it.

Randy

Not to slam 'ya trevoro but pull up www.delta.com and type ammunition in the search window. One of the hits is the airlines policy on ammunition and it follows the 5kg limit.

However shipping a loaded mag is a no-no.

Hank,

I'm sure you are right about the Delta weight limit. No slam at all. I think what I was remembering was that my boxes were 9 pounds each. My mistake.

However, you can have loaded mags in your checked bags. This is from the TSA website linked in one of the earlier posts.

"You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard)."

Airline rules vary; there's a few details in the FAQ. Alaska and Horizon don't follow the ICAO rule.

I've had best luck with well taped-up factory boxes. Dillon-type boxes have both broken on me and been questioned since "plastic" isn't listed in the TSA regs.

Broken ammo boxes (it's almost always the latch that breaks-- tape it too) suck since they scatter ammo all over your luggage and if the bag gets x-rayed again, they get whiny about it.

I do the Dillon plastic boxes as well with some clear packing tape to hold them closed. I go one step farther and tape a business card with my cell phone on it and a note asking them to call me on my cell if there's a problem. Granted, that particular card might cause them to be a little more flexible, but I think a note can't hurt. I usually put something like "TSA, Hi, this ammo is for a training class/match (list match or class) that I'm attending. Please call me on my cell xxx-xxx-xxxx if you have a question". I figure it can't hurt. R,

I do the Dillon plastic boxes as well with some clear packing tape to hold them closed. I go one step farther and tape a business card with my cell phone on it and a note asking them to call me on my cell if there's a problem. Granted, that particular card might cause them to be a little more flexible, but I think a note can't hurt. I usually put something like "TSA, Hi, this ammo is for a training class/match (list match or class) that I'm attending. Please call me on my cell xxx-xxx-xxxx if you have a question". I figure it can't hurt. R,

I'm just killing time waiting to try and get in to Ft. Benning match. This is good stuff and some of it funny. I think handloaders have no choice but to use Dillon boxes. I think the rules are original manufacturers box-so thats us. I use Atlanta Arms-no place to load. The 2400 Size Storm cases are inexpensive, suitcase sized, and take locked gun boxes, and ammo and I have not had a problem flying Delta, USAIR, SouthWest, and some others. I lock the suitcase with the TSA locks, keep a key around my neck-so far so good. What's on your card "Free Brain Surgery While You Wait"?. :roflol: I appreciate your input-always informative.

Thanks again everyone! I am going to take the original Atlanta Arms and Ammo boxes in three different suitcases (checked) and my gun and mags are safely locked away in my Pelican 1500. Our flight leaves Saturday. Ill let you all know how it goes!

Wish me luck!

Blake