Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Montana Gold...which ones?

njl

After being not entirely impressed with Precision Delta's 124gr FMJ, I was going to order some 124gr JHP from Montana Gold, but I see they've recently gone out of stock and don't appear to want backorders. Is there much difference in practice between their 124gr FMJ and 124gr CMJ? The CMJ are just a tiny bit more $, but I kind of like the idea of no exposed lead base (less lead vapor in the air), as long as it doesn't negatively affect performance/accuracy.

I use 115gr JHP's for my 9x23 open hoser. I love em'. Quick and snappy. I upped the powder a bit again and have a new load to test this weekend. I've thought of using the CMJ's...I like the idea of round nose, but I don't want to have to mess around with getting a new load set up.

Anyone done the switch? Notice a difference worth mentioning? I wouldn't think it would effect to much, the only difference really is aerodynamics betweeen a JHP and a CMJ round nose.

--Lanzo

I've run thousands of FMJ & JHP. Good accuracy feeds well and quality was pretty damn good. I've been running PDs for the last 8 months and I like those too, but some people have reported issues with them. I have seen a few split jackets here and there.

FYI PDs are backlogged 6-8 weeks. That's why a friend and I ordered some MGs this time. Also, PD are almost the same price these days... I think the dif is 5-7 buck now. It used to be a lot bigger gap.

MG has a 2-3week backlog, so says their website.

I prefer the snappy less flip 115s. I can pack the hell out of the case with the 115 and work the comp a bit more.

JT

Edited by JThompson

The Montana Gold 121 IFP's are fantastic and I highly reccomend giving them a try.

+1 on the 121s

I bought a case of 121 IFPs because they were out of 124 JHPs. They are basically a 115 JHP with the HP filled in with lead. They shoot great.

Only exposed lead is in the point.

:cheers:

124CMJ will offer a touch more reliability in 9Major due to the rounded profile. Seems to glide up the feed ramp better where a JHP has the flat nose that can hit the feed ramp like a wall. Just my observations. I just ordered a case of the CMJ's and sold the new box of JHP's that just came in.

The Montana Gold 121 IFP's are fantastic and I highly reccomend giving them a try.

+1 on the 121s

I bought a case of 121 IFPs because they were out of 124 JHPs. They are basically a 115 JHP with the HP filled in with lead. They shoot great.

Only exposed lead is in the point.

:cheers:

Any idea how the 121s compare to the 115 jhps? Six grains doesn't sound like it'd make much difference. I ask because I just got a case of the 115 JHPs, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Just curious about what I can expect in the way of accuracy.

I went ahead and ordered the 124gr CMJ...and they got here real fast. PD had me conditioned to expect bullet orders to take weeks to ship. The construction looks weird. I was expecting something like CCI Blazer bullets which have a seamless total jacket, as if plated on. The MG CMJ look more like a JHP (brass base) with a second "FMJ" jacket from the top. Without cutting one in half, I'm only guessing. The base jacket is a different color than the outer jacket too.

Should load data I developed using PD 124gr FMJ be more or less interchangable with the MG 124gr CMJ?

BTW, I like how they shipped. Bag of bullets inside a heavy cardboard box, inside a flat rate box. It looks like they survived shipping pretty well...which is impressive for a nearly 70lb. box.

They look that way because they're an actual jacket not plating like you might be used to seeing. I pretty much interchange my 9mm loads (not the 9-Major, since I only have 1 load).

~Mitch

They look that way because they're an actual jacket not plating like you might be used to seeing. I pretty much interchange my 9mm loads (not the 9-Major, since I only have 1 load).

~Mitch

I know they're jacketd...but what I meant was the jacket is clearly two different jackets...the one visible on the base of the bullet is even a different (more "copper-like") color than the outer jacket. I just went ahead and loaded up 50 to see how they do. Right after seating the first one, it occurred to me "these have a slightly different profile than the PD 124gr I've been using...I better measure the OAL" and it was about 0.015" longer than I wanted at 1.160. So I dropped the seater about 1/4 turn and loaded the rest to 1.145". Perhaps tomorrow I can see how they shoot.

I don't know for sure but I did not think of it as two seperate jackets i thought it was a jacket with like a copper disc/gas check type piece added at the end of construction that was held when the jacket is rolled over the back of the bullet.

At any rate the 124 CMJ's have been my favorites for some time. Shoot straight, reliable, and clean.

I don't know for sure but I did not think of it as two seperate jackets i thought it was a jacket with like a copper disc/gas check type piece added at the end of construction that was held when the jacket is rolled over the back of the bullet.

That could be what it is. I'm new to reloading and have never seen gas checks...just googled them.

I shot the MG 124gr CMJ's today. I got about the same velocity (avgs within about 10fps of the PD, about 1060fps from a G17 with 4.4gr Universal) as my PD 124gr FMJ load. No problems in the 50.

I loved these in my HiPower. They feed and shoot well. I got them once when they werer out of the FMJs. I think these are liked by the open guys alot too. Plus, they are just pretty. :rolleyes:

I've been using PD 124FMJ and when they stopped producing them; I swapped to MG 124CMJ due to availablity.

The PDs and MGs measure the same average length, so I loaded them the same OAL & powder. I couldn't chrono this first batch, but they shot the same for me at todays steel fun shoot.. PD's PF was 132 over VitN320.

My buddies chrono wasn't edible after he shot it.

Edited by 1SOW