Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Race Holsters

zhunter

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm...voted "let it go," but after this next match, I'm going to buy a Bladetech DOH for my 6" SVI limited gun. I don't like the grip of the Bladetechs's, and I regret what Kydex does to a blued finish, but I'm sick of worrying about the CR Speed. Even from a locked position, this Limited gun is heavy and long enough to pop out with a sharp tug; especially at certain angles.

The bottom line is, if stages actively tested holster retention, (thinking of that parachute stage from the Florida Open a few years back), you'd see a disproportionate number of DQ's from race holsters and a lot of worried and unhappy shooters. Fortunately(?) most stages do not have lots of gyrations and movements prior to the draw that would cause an issue.

I gotta disagree. I have been using "race" holsters for years and I would just use the lock and I suspect most others would as well. The lock on my Guga holster and on my previous Limcat is actually more secure than ANY kydex holster that I have used including my favorite Bladetek. The poll results speak for themselves. A holster retention test just may cause more issues for those who use Kydex holsters.

Edited by larry cazes

Biased?? My guess is that since "race holsters" are not allowed in single stack, a bias exists here. I know Z doesn't believe classification hit factors should be the same for single stack and Limited 10 since L-10 allows the dreaded "race holsters" to be used....

Just set it free...........Z

Biased?? My guess is that since "race holsters" are not allowed in single stack, a bias exists here. I know Z doesn't believe classification hit factors should be the same for single stack and Limited 10 since L-10 allows the dreaded "race holsters" to be used....

oh yeah... its the holster, not the giant magwell on a double wide that makes the difference.

oh yeah... its the holster, not the giant magwell on a double wide that makes the difference.

Relevance in this thread........the holster. For what it's worth I agree with Z, they shouldn't be the same.

When I first found the BE forum, there were many threads on

gun retention. It got me concerned, not so much for the safety

aspect as from the embarassment.

I have added "shrouds" to my CR Speed holsters, made from

square aluminum tubing. When my holster is locked, the gun

cannot be removed without breaking the holster. You would have

to tear off the CR locking doo-hicky to pull the gun.

Glen

When I first found the BE forum, there were many threads on

gun retention. It got me concerned, not so much for the safety

aspect as from the embarassment.

I have added "shrouds" to my CR Speed holsters, made from

square aluminum tubing. When my holster is locked, the gun

cannot be removed without breaking the holster. You would have

to tear off the CR locking doo-hicky to pull the gun.

Glen

Glen,

Have you posted about your modifications before? That would make for an interesting read...especially with pictures. ('cause I read better with pictures? :) ) It would make a good thread on it's own!

I was going to respond to that Flex, but I'm thinking unless I want something embarrassing under my avatar I better refrain.

Z ole pal, I think you have opened a can of worms here...

Glen, like you I am not a fan of the platform/nipple set up. When I got my CR Speed it was one of the old versions that had the muzzle cup instead of the platform. For the most part it is set up a lot like yours from the sound of things.

Joe W.

Z ole pal, I think you have opened a can of worms here...

I prefer to think of it as making shooters think about the safety of their equipment

Getting people thinking is great for our sport

39 of 47 say let it go. Open shooters must gravitate to threads that say Race holster :D

You must gravitate toward trying to stir up contoversy. <_<

I resemble that coment :roflol:

I feel it is more of a good discussion.

I had a "mis-hap" years ago, certainly NOT due to equipment failure, but rather an inherent design failure for the required stage start. And that is when I lost faith in "race holsters".

I still feel that MORE safety is a good thing with regards to equipment. A rule requiring retention on face holsters until the buzzer goes off would be a good thing, same for everyone, so it would still be a level playing field

FWIW, there is one one guy I see at matches on occasion that has a "skeletonized" race holster (I don't know what brand). He shoots Open sometimes and Limited others. Last year, he had his open gun hit the dirt when he bumped a target stand while pasting. He was NOT a happy camper. He said he had been having trouble with the lock and needed to either find a more secure holster or find a way to fix it.

Next time I saw him at a match, he had a bungy cord securing his gun in the holster. It only came off when he was on the line at the Make Ready.

FWIW, there is one one guy I see at matches on occasion that has a "skeletonized" race holster (I don't know what brand). He shoots Open sometimes and Limited others. Last year, he had his open gun hit the dirt when he bumped a target stand while pasting. He was NOT a happy camper. He said he had been having trouble with the lock and needed to either find a more secure holster or find a way to fix it.

Next time I saw him at a match, he had a bungy cord securing his gun in the holster. It only came off when he was on the line at the Make Ready.

That is perfect example of a holster that is unsafe.

39 of 47 say let it go. Open shooters must gravitate to threads that say Race holster :D

I had a "mis-hap" years ago, certainly NOT due to equipment failure, but rather an inherent design failure for the required stage start. And that is when I lost faith in "race holsters".

I still feel that MORE safety is a good thing with regards to equipment. A rule requiring retention on face holsters until the buzzer goes off would be a good thing, same for everyone, so it would still be a level playing field

OK, since you have brought it up......Such a rule I assume would require a positive locking mechanism be engaged until the buzzer goes off? If this were applied equally to all shooters, then it would make almost ALL of the kydex out there today illegal since they have no lock at all. How do you propose this be implemented?

OK, since you have brought it up......Such a rule I assume would require a positive locking mechanism be engaged until the buzzer goes off? If this were applied equally to all shooters, then it would make almost ALL of the kydex out there today illegal since they have no lock at all. How do you propose this be implemented?

They would have to pass a retention test. Mine has 2 screws that can be adjusted for tension. I think that would qualify. Mine will retain the gun when held upside down. How many race holsters, in their present condition, will retain the gun when held upside down, I am going ot bet not a high percentage

edited for spelling

Edited by zhunter

They would have to pass a retention test. Mine has 2 screws that can be adjusted for tension. I thing that would qualify. Mine will retain the gun when held upside down. How many race holsters, in their present condition, will retain the gun when held upside down, I am going ot bet not a high percentage

How many of us shoot upside down? :cheers:

They would have to pass a retention test. Mine has 2 screws that can be adjusted for tension. I thing that would qualify. Mine will retain the gun when held upside down. How many race holsters, in their present condition, will retain the gun when held upside down, I am going ot bet not a high percentage

snipped

How many competitors are turned upside down at a match? :roflol:

How many of us shoot upside down? :cheers:

Good point, but it would be a reasonable test. I was essentially challenged, and that is what came to mind. So, let's see how many of your race holsters, WITHOUT the lock mechanism engaged, will hold the gun when held upside down?

It should be pretty easy to go grab it and test it

:cheers: IT'S Not the holster, IT'S the shooter. If you used a holster out of the box as it is intended you would have no problems. Put the dremel down and just say no. If you are a gamer and need that extra, you probably need more than that. You are responsible for your own equipment, I do not think that the governing body of uspsa needs to manage every little thing about the sport. Common sence has to be used.

5.2.6-5.2.9 gives you everything you need to know about this. If you have a question if a holster is safe or not, maybe it looks like it has been modified and is not safe. Call the RM and have the determination made. Safety must come first.

It has been my limited experience that i am just as fast out of DOH as my ghost.

They would have to pass a retention test. Mine has 2 screws that can be adjusted for tension. I think that would qualify. Mine will retain the gun when held upside down. How many race holsters, in their present condition, will retain the gun when held upside down, I am going ot bet not a high percentage

edited for spelling

If adjusted in that way, my Guga Ribas would be no problem. Based on all of the variables involved I dont think that this test would be practical at local matches at all or at most majors. The only thing that would achieve your stated goals would be to require a positive lock be engaged prior to the buzzer.