Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Opinions Wanted On Grips.

IPSCDRL

I picked up the pewter grips at a show in Vermont a bunch of years back and first mounted them on an old $200 WWII era .45 beater that I got at another show. The smith who built my new gun, "Baby" put the contoured rosewood grips on when he built it.

I'm looking at this from a purely aesthetic point of view. Which ones do you think LOOK nicer? ;)

LTonBlkHi.jpg

RtonBlkHi.jpg

I feel the rosewood blends better with the finish and enhances the overall appearance of the gun. I like the pewter but those grips seems to pull my attention to the grips specifically. If that's what you're after however........

Thanks for the responses so far. Come on folks, VOTE! fourty one people have looked at this thread but so far only TWO have voted! :(

I'm just looking for your opinions. I think the pewter contrasts nicely with the dark high-polished blue. One of the guys at practice last night thought they made it look like a pimp's gun. :o

I may end up having the gun hard chromed in the future. I really like the chrome on it's big brother. (first generation Caspian wide body Super) I'll post a pic as soon as I can get someone to host it for me. I hate to keep bothering Jeeper. ;)

I think that every accumulator or 1911s needs ONE "pimp gun". Most here are aware that I am in search of a set of the hollow, silver, Mexican engraved, "pimp grips" for my .38 super LW Commander. But it is a "fun gun", and like I said, ONE pimp gun each!! That being said, I personally don't care for the pewter grips, but NOT because of aesthetics. I think they are way too heavy. I have a friend who hollowed a pair of them out and they now feel a lot better to me. I like the pewter when it gets a patina to it, not real glossy. You have to decide which look you want. Like you said, pimp or classic...............

In the end analysis, my friend, you have to go with what you like, but it is NOT "either - or"......... you can easily switch back and forth and have the best of both worlds.

Like an old friend of mine used to say, "Let her dress one way in the bedroom for you.............. and another way when out in public!!"

Best of luck,

Jeffro (Jeff)

Actually BOTH are interesting...

He could use one of each on either side of the gun ... :P

That is exactly what you see now. The gun as photographed is wearing one of each. I have since followed Nik's advice to put the pewter grips back on the $200 .45 and go with the classic rosewood on Baby.

Thanks for all of your input folks.

Michael. (Still learning to count to ten) ;)

Maybe it’s just the picture but the first photo looks more like Pakkawood than Rosewood. I used to make knives and I used a lot of Pakkawood as handles, great stuff, pretty and virtually indestructible! Look here.

My vote is for the Pewter. Of course my stainless 1911 has a mirror finish on the slide and I DO drive a white Lincoln B) but I don’t have a pinky ring. I am not now nor have I ever been a pimp, but I would consider working FOR a high-class panderer… as a talent scout! See above résumé. :P

Ed

• 1 month later...

mattjoe

Can't be just any Caddy, really needs to be a late '70's Eldorado Convertible with leopard seat covers and lots of chrome...probably with a custom paint job in lavender metalflake.

If you go 'na be a Pimp, do it right.

I personally don't like the pewter grips to be honest. I do like the wooden grips though. Maybe try something different. I've seen carbonfiber grips in a magazine. Not sure how they will look. I'm all for having things look different. After all I just bought an SVI with blue grips. I'm just not a big fan of the pewter. But, if that puts a smile on your face then that is the choice for "you".

Pete

Carved Pewter on a blued gun gives a nice contrast. However if the Auto is to be hard chromed I would go with the Rosewood. Again for the contrast.