Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cal Comp moonclip holders jumping off my belt

Boats

They clip on and the lip is supposed to grab the bottom of your belt. Match tonight three times the holders came off with the moonclip. I could lift the loaded moon before starting the stage to loosen up but the darned thing is suposed to stay on. Real world it ought to be secure.

Trouble is my Wilderness instructors web belt doubles over on the right side, velcro holds it down. The tongue is right were the holders need to be, too thick so the lip does not engage. My leather auto pistol mag holders have sewn down, don't trust the snaps. Comp tac Tech belt loops on my kydex mag holders have zip tied so they can't open.

What am I going to do with these things. Why would they design something that comes on and off easy when what you want is secure and not come off easy. Any suggestions ?

Boats

They are great no doubt about it but I shoot both IDPA and a hybrid club rules revolver match, that was the one tonight. Nxt Week Idpa so need a holder that meets the rules.

Would not take much of a change for the North Mtns to be Idpa legal, wonder if they ever thought about it. All it would have to be is single stack.

Boats

Edited by Boats

When I wear my Wilderness belt I have room for 2 Cal Comp holders in front of my holster but before I get to the folded back velcro part. Of course, that's probably not working for you. I guess you could reverse the belt so that the velcro part is on the left side rather than the right.

Doesn't sound like this will work for your Wilderness belt, but when I used CCW moonclip holders and a Safariland belt, I was able to use zip ties at the bottom to tighten the CCW's together real well.

Another option is to wear the Wilderness belt with the ?D-ring? off-center. Might not look good, but it may fix your problem. Not sure if this will help, but figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

Some guys will put the screw on the bottom through a piece of velcro that hooks to your belt. I just grab a piece of target tape and run it down the back side and up the front. That put an end to snatching the whole works off my belt when doing a reload.

Thanks guys somewhere between off cente,r zip ties, and duct tape Am going to figure it out. Wide leather belt they work fine. Probably ought to just go that way. Two moonclips stacked on top of each other fit in a plain old HKS N frame leather speedloader case too. Might put the timer on this to see how it works.

Boats

Interestingly, the (IDPA-illegal) North Mountain single-post moonclip holder is a much better choice for actual real-life concealed carry than the (IDPA-legal) "shoot the moon" junk. Faster and much more secure.

Carmoney agree it makes no sense. Those Cal comps would wear out your pants and jacket in short order if really carried, sharp edges and all. Think I have them fixed with some 100 MPH tape.

Boats.

Boats, there's little more disconcerting than grabbing a moonclip off the belt and the whole dang thing comes off your belt, although your squad gets a good laugh at your antics trying to separate the two.

I tried the zip tie route but it made it a real pain getting the holders on and off my belt. I ended up taking a strip of thin kydex, bending a 90 degree angle in it, drilling a hole in the bottom, and attaching it to the holder using the center stem screw. There's enough flexibility to let the holder slide off the belt but the vertical piece up the back is sandwiched between your pants and the spring clip and keeps the clip from coming off the belt.

Jerry

I use the cal comp holders and to keep them from coming off, you just need a little friction. I put a 1x2 piece of grip tape on the inside of the clip so that the rough side of the tape is making contact with the back of the belt. Works on wilderness and leather belts.

I have the CR speed belt and they have velcro all the way around and I got some sticky backed velcro tape and put that on the inside of the metal clip, no more slipping. I have been running them that way for several years.

Jason

All good tips ,would not be any fun if something worked out of the box.

I have it fixed short term with some 100 mph tape. Took the center screw out bushed out the clip to belt size with a thin stick. Taped bottom and up the backside. Then put the screw back in through the tape. Will do until I can make a better fix. Need to use them again Thursday. Long term that Kydex trick looks good to me. Was thinking L shaped spring steel but plastic is so much easier to work with.

Boats

Edited by Boats

Go to a craft store and buy Velcro strips. Put the hook part on the back of the moon clip holder that rests against your pants when wearing the Wilderness belt. The hook will grab the fabric of your pants and stay in place. When wearing a CR speed rig, it will hook on the under belt. It works.

I have the CR speed belt and they have velcro all the way around and I got some sticky backed velcro tape and put that on the inside of the metal clip, no more slipping. I have been running them that way for several years.

Thats what I did , Got a roll at walmart . No Problems after that.

Brent

Thats what I did , Got a roll at walmart . No Problems after that.

Brent

ME THREE!!!!!

Rockchucker

That didn't work for me. I finally got P'd off and stuck 'em in place with black silicone adhesive!

"Silicone, the thinking mans duct tape." B)

I experienced the same problems when I started shooting IDPA, to cure the problem I used a piece of 1 1/2" steel by 1/4" thick and slid it in the loop of the holders. then using a vise to support the steel I used a hammer to flatten the lip. The lip is now flat enough they the holder stays in place when you grab it. If I am using my CR speed belt I use adhesive backed Velcro on the back of the retainer clip as others have mentioned.

Funny

Seems everybody using the Cal Comp's has a way to overcome this problem. Wonder if Cal Comp or somebody else has plans to make Moonclip holders that work out of the box. Looks pretty easy to do with Kydex.

Boats