Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you deal with slugs' POI change with different chokes?

How do you guys deal with the use of different chokes and the (potential) POI shift with slugs?

IIRC, in one of the Burkett's videos John Paul said he uses just one choke in his shotgun and he varies his pattern by shell type. Mr. Weakhand uses (welded on?) one choke(?).

But if you wanted to use different chokes... what do you do?

Do you just use (and sight in) with one choke? And use that choke for all stages that have slugs? Do you find any POI changes depending on how tight you twist on the choke?

I find with full sized IPSC targets <50 yards it doesn't really matter. The targets I'm concerned with are say 12" round from 50-100+ yards.

I want to limit my having to shoot $.75-$1.00 per slug to figure it out...

I look at it this way........The cost of a dozen or so slugs in regards to testing with different chokes to find what works best is ..CHEAP... compared to what you spend in travel cost's, time off (lost income), and the frustration of NOT KNOWING what works and doesn't work.......

"Know before you go"..................You'll sleep better..!!!!

So are you telling me that you know what your POI is from 0-100+ yards with all your chokes?

And it has remained consistent?

If there is a stage with slugs...I use a Mod choke only (most accurate in my shotty). And I know where it goes out to 75yds..Shot and Buck are'nt an issue with Mod in the same stage as slugs The targets are closer anyway.......

RS - Like Dan, I run my most accurate choke and rarely spin it out. There was one stage at the shotgun match at Richmond last year, where Chris and I were looking at some steel that were hard to knock down and spun in our Modified chokes (normally run IC).

I'm not saying that learning your slug zero for each choke is a bad idea. Just saying that it's a bit of overkill IMHO. If I had a stage where I had long slug shots and then various distance clays/steel, I'd "choke" with ammo, since the slug shots on that stage are worth more (theoretically).

Rich

LeRoy - Most cases (like +90%) I have my IC choke in and it stays there. However, if a stage seems more advantageous to have choke XX in there, then I put it in. In most cases too though, I try to "choke" with my ammo.

Rich

So are you telling me that you know what your POI is from 0-100+ yards with all your chokes?

So you shoot slugs through full chokes ?? I know it can be done but it increases the recoil a little bit !! :D

Really, I have not found you need to change chokes that often in this game !!

Honestly in all my vast 3 gun experience :lol: , I have never seen a stage where I needed to have a full choke and shoot slugs past 75 yards.

My M2 shoots close enough with an IC and LM chokes and I didn't have any problems at SMM3G with the slug shots.

Figure out how it shoots with a IC, LM and maybe a M and you should be good.

RS, go with the choke you use most often, and sight it in with that, or if it proves to be inaccurate with that choke then go with the choke it shoots best and deal with the shot tatrgets accordingly, by using different ammo.

I personally shoot LM with my slugs, but have used Cyl. and the difference is negligible out to 75yds.

Trapr

Quality chokes, with the threads cut correctly should not change poi. Problem is even in factory choke jobs concentricity is not guaranteed, what wouldn't be noticeable with shot will show up with a slug.

But at extended ranges it is also possible even with a good choke job because the tighter chokes just might give more velocity. MY theory. I know tighter chokes recoil more with any loads.

So you shoot slugs through full chokes ?? I know it can be done but it increases the recoil a little bit !! :D

Could you or someone else elaborate on the "knowing" of full chokes and increased recoil?

Patrick

Could you or someone else elaborate on the "knowing" of full chokes and increased recoil?

Patrick

Do I dare to say that I've tried it in my M2, no damage but the recoil does increase substantialy.

I acualy found that my M2 grouped best with an IM but that was probably due to the increase in velocity. :o I use

the IC or M exclusively , works for everything and slug POI is the same ...

Shit, I just noticed that I ran 2 major matches with an M in there the whole time. No wonder I missed those birds !! :blink:

Edited by P.Pres

I've shot slugs through full chokes. It's been rare. But I didn't notice a huge recoil difference. And honestly... it doesn't make sense to me as to why it would.

The tighter bore is akin to a baffle in a comp. As the slugs hits that "baffle"... the gun would actually go in the opposite direction and away from your shoulder => resulting in less recoil.

My M2 shoots close enough with an IC and LM chokes and I didn't have any problems at SMM3G with the slug shots.

Yah but those targets were huuuuuuugeeeeeeee.

I just spent $25 yesterday and came to the conclusion that my FO sight isn't very good for slugs --- it moves. So I'm going to have to do it again. Joy.

Yah but those targets were huuuuuuugeeeeeeee.

Like I said, I've done my homework and know how my guns shoots.

Edited by Chris