Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of the newer european cars say change the oil every 15k miles (using synthetic like Mobil 1).

My European car has a sqedueled oil change of every 18 000 miles (30 000km).

Thats not a marketing trick as someone mentioned, it is something they guarantee will last.

A lot of the newer european cars say change the oil every 15k miles (using synthetic like Mobil 1).

Thats not a marketing trick as someone mentioned, it is something they guarantee will last.

If you say so

I have a 04 Dodge 2500 with 5.7 Hemi engine, I have 140,000 miles and have had no problems what so ever, ever since my truck was new I have used Mobile 1 full synthetic and ussually change my oil at 5-8000( depending on how busy I am). I am over due as I type, I better get to Walmart and get some oil.

I work for "the" highline "European" car brand, so goodluck !! ;)

My '07 GMC supposedly has an oil life monitor.The book says that its looking at temp cycles and RPMs.It seems like it would go forever if I let it.I get tired of waiting for it at about 5000-8000 miles.Right,wrong,or otherwise I use 10-30 Rotella oil.-Mike

I work for "the" highline "European" car brand, so goodluck !! ;)

THE Highline European car brand?

Aston Martin? Jaguar? Ferrari? Bugatti? Lambo? Porche? Rolls Royce?

BTW: 30K service intervals is used with a lot of the big car companys here in Europe. F.ex VW (with "sub-brands" Skoda, Audi and Seat)

Dunno which one he means. But I leased a BMW for 2 years. The dealership changed the oil when the car indicated it: just over 14,000 miles.

-their car, their rules. And THEY pay for the oil change under the lease program.

You gotta wonder: if it is their car, why wouldn't they take the best care of it possible? (unless, 14,000 miles + synthetic + listening to the on-board oil condition monitor IS the correct care needed for optimal performance?).

-their car, their rules. And THEY pay for the oil change under the lease program.

You gotta wonder: if it is their car, why wouldn't they take the best care of it possible? (unless, 14,000 miles + synthetic + listening to the on-board oil condition monitor IS the correct care needed for optimal performance?).

You're assuming that optimal performance is the primary goal. Not sure how many BMW's are sold each year but I'm sure that the bean counters know exactly how much $ every additional 1k miles between changes saves them.

You also have to remember that their warranty is limited. They only have to worry about the car/engine for the first 4/50K? Any decent engine is going to hold up well enough with a couple/few oil changes (especially using a good syn) during that time. What you don't know is the damage (the extent of which is inherently debatable) being done that will affect performance/longevity in the long term. If something happens after the warranty expires, BMW will fix it but you're going to pay for it.

Go on the bmw forums and bitog and see what other owners are experiencing. It may be smooth sailing or you may want to pay for interim changes out of pocket if you plan on keeping the car for an extended period of time.

Edited by al503

No, Yes, and Yes !! :D

Average luxury car warranty 4yr/50k(k for thousand, not kilo)

Makerting: our service interval goes to 14 and theirs only goes to 12, buy our car .. you'll also notice the brand that

pays for the services goes to 14, while the brand that where the client pays only goes to 10 ?? :o

Average miladge at which an engine starts to show concerns from extended oil changes 80-120k

My particular brand is under a class action for this reason, if you own a certain year vehicle and it burns oil,you

get a free shortblock !! ;)

My car is under warranty to 100k miles. It has about 52k miles on it now. All I am responsible for is gas and tires. Everything else is covered, even wiper blades.

Are you planning on ditching the car at 100K? If so, good plan --- if not, a more aggressive maintenance interval might help.....

I'm planning/hoping for 300k on the truck -- although that plan was made when I was still driving 21-22K/year; now that I'm down to about 12K/year, I may be willing to ditch the truck when it gets about 15 years old....

• 2 weeks later...

The oil that BMW recomends is an extended life synthetic. I have a 01 740 and I have been changing it every 7500 miles. This is an easy number because that's the same as my F-250 deisel interval. Of course it takes 15 quarts, which I'll be changing this morning.

My 2008 Chevrolet says not to change oil until 5,000 miles. The quality of the oils being produced these days are suppose to support that. In my PowerStroke I only changed the oil every 6,000 miles using Rotella. My Dad is trying to drive the tires off of a 2003 Z-71. He has 283,000 miles and every part on the truck is original except for the tires, breaks, air and oil filters. He changes the oil every 5,000 miles, which is about every 3 months for him. In his defense, he is NOT an aggressive driver.

That's awesome!

My Dad's 4.3L V6'd S-10 went 300k with everything original except for the fuel pump and even then it was fine. He donated it to a local high school auto shop. The man was religious about changing his oil and coolant though.

I can't say that I am as diligant but at the same time, I'm in the ballpark. 3k is a guide, not a rule. I do know that the Magnum likes to carry a full tank of gas versus half empty if that counts for anything. :D

Rich

This is for all the Mobil 1 fans. Here is the valve cover off my 93 525, It has 147,000 miles on it and has had the oil changed about every 5000 with Mobil 1.

The engine looks brand new.

post-1803-1243355052_thumb.jpg

Gotta love Mobil 1 :cheers:

When I bought my "new" :roflol: car, I started using synthetic oil and changing it every 3K miles. Which worked great... because by the time I'd remember or actually got around to doing it, it would be between 4-6K miles. :lol:

Just think what might have happened if I'd changed it every "7K miles". ;)

Now that it's not so new anymore and the odometer has given up the ghost, I

just change it when the seasons change. :)

Edited by cas

I change oil in my hotrod stuff every 3k

A few years ago I tore down a 6-71 blown SBC with 109,000 miles on it...out of my old coupe.

It was as clean and pristine as the day I built it.

I have been in untold numbers of engines with MUCH less milage that were a sludge bowl

And in my Real hotrod drag boat engines..read as $60,000.00 and up...I changed after EVERY event.

Your frequent oil changes...pay you back at the high end of milage and your engines long life.

Jim

This is for all the Mobil 1 fans. Here is the valve cover off my 93 525, It has 147,000 miles on it and has had the oil changed about every 5000 with Mobil 1.

The engine looks brand new.

post-1803-1243355052_thumb.jpg

My original experience with Mobil 1 was with a 94 Corvette. I also pulled a valve cover at 93k and it looked brand new. Been using it ever since. :cheers:

For what it's worth, I heard a NASCAR engine builder respnd to the question "how often should the public do an oil change". His answer was 2500 miles and the engine will run for ever. Just my .02 cents.

I change mine every 3000 or so. I really base it on when I have time to get it changed, sometimes life get's busy. :wacko:

Questions for you synthetic oil fans:

Are there any issues when switching from a conventional oil to a synthetic?

Once you switch to synthetic is it bad to go back?

What is the approx price difference for an oil change (I don't change my own oil)?

My car is an 07 Infiniti G35 Sport with about 15k - if that matters.

What is the approx price difference for an oil change (I don't change my own oil)?

Price difference locally seems to be about $30 (at the Chevy dealer's or most independent mechanics) which makes sense considering the discrepancy in oil pricing, to $75 (no joke: $12.50/qt x 6 quarts) at Hyundai for their proprietary synthetic.....

Fortunately Hyundai told me about it when I booked the appointment --- and I picked up a case (6 quarts) of Mobil1 at Sam's or BJ's for about $30-35. Since then I always buy oil and just throw it in the front seat when I drop the car off. I typically get a $3-6 break on the cost of a normal oil change for bringing my own oil....

There used to be issues in switching back from synthetics to normal motor oil; mechanic friends tell me that's no longer true --- but I remain wary. I also tend to drive cars until they fall apart, if you're planning on being out of the Infinity in a couple of years, it might not make sense for you....

No

No

About $30-$40 more at the shop I work at.

:cheers: