Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5 or 6 inch

I'm narrowing down what kind of Limited gun I want, and have pretty much decided on an STI Eagle (money is a consideration, so that's why. I know a custom gun is better, but it's nearly twice the cost).

I'm not sure though whether to go 5 or 6 inch? I like the Eagle over the Edge because the Edge feels too front heavy and I seem to transition better with a standard dust covered framed gun. Will a 6 inch mess up the characteristics I like about the 5 inch Eagle (lighter front, better "swing")?

Would like opinions from those with experience.

Hello: Get the 5" Eagle with a bushing barrel and you can shoot USPSA and IDPA. Learn to shoot it then decide if you want a 6". The 6" slide can be made just as light or lighter than a stock 5" slide. The only difference is the distance between the sights. I would also shoot a 6" pistol to see if it is what you want/like. It also dpends on what type of shootingh you do. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

If you like the eagle over the edge and have to have a factory gun go with the 5in bushing gun. As Matt said the 6in factory guns are just too heavy. In a custon I would( and did) go with a Benny Hill fat free 6 in.---------Larry

Benny Hill fat free 6 in.---------Larry

+1

I've got a STI Edge and Benny Fat Free 6". My STI Edge sits in the safe and only gets used as a loaner. Should probably sell it or convert it to a 6".

Totally agree with Matt . . . Factory 6" too heavy.

Edited by reneet

The custom vs factory price isn't as far apart as you think a lot of times. Especially if the factory ends up not working 100%.

The 6" Eagle is about $1850, add in magwell, fiber optic and reliability package you are in low 2's. A lot of smiths could build you a gun in that ballpark. You might save a few hundred bucks, but I think saying a custom is double is a little off.

A 6 inch Brazos package right off the website is 2900 and it's ready to go, hardchromed, lightened slide.

Benny Hill's limited guns are supposed to start at $1895.

I know a guy that bought a 5 inch Bedell recently and it was in the $2500 ballpark.

Edited by bofe954

Factory 6" is too heavy.

I completely agree with Matt on this. Either get a 5" (which is perfectly fine) or expect to pay for a 6" gun that has been worked over or built by a gunsmith. If you buy a 6" factory gun you will end up sending it to a gunsmith anyway.

The 6" Eagle is about $1850, add in magwell, fiber optic and reliability package you are in low 2's. A lot of smiths could build you a gun in that ballpark. You might save a few hundred bucks, but I think saying a custom is double is a little off.

I thought about an Eagle in 9mm to shoot limited minor and steel (if I ever shoot a steel match).

Decided to go with a Brazos in 9mm with a full dustcover (internally lightened) and hollow guiderod. I like the looks of the full dustcover better.

A stock 5" Eagle runs about $1750. Add a FO front, magwell, drilled and tapped mag release, mag button, trigger job, reliability package, flat top the slide, hard chrome and I'm right about where a limited SC runs.

On the other side, if you don't need all that stuff, then you'll be a little ahead going with the Eagle.

To begin, I shoot a 6" by Benny Hill (grip by Larry ;) ) and i couldn't imagine shooting limited with anything else. But since you're thinking of a 6" eagle, there are a few options imo. A bushing barrel is the only choice on a 6". I would send the slide to Gans or someone and get it cheaply lightened. He does slide cuts and stuff for cheap, like $60 :o .

Most of the time, the balance of a 6" isn't just right for you, so you may end up wanting to send it to a gunsmith to get it cut up anyway. You may like it just fine though, but if you must go factory, then 6" cheaply lightened will work just fine.

-Reliable

-Comfortable

-Accurate

-Managable

If it does the above... then you're fine. Just practice more.

To begin, I shoot a 6" by Benny Hill (grip by Larry ;) ) and i couldn't imagine shooting limited with anything else. But since you're thinking of a 6" eagle, there are a few options imo. A bushing barrel is the only choice on a 6". I would send the slide to Gans or someone and get it cheaply lightened. He does slide cuts and stuff for cheap, like $60 :o .

Most of the time, the balance of a 6" isn't just right for you, so you may end up wanting to send it to a gunsmith to get it cut up anyway. You may like it just fine though, but if you must go factory, then 6" cheaply lightened will work just fine.

-Reliable

-Comfortable

-Accurate

-Managable

I have a 6" bull barrel that Matt Cheely built and I am positive that a bushing would be awesome and just as good by a competent builder like Benny Hill but the feel of the lightened bull barrel and slide is awesome and I have no doubt that a bull is a viable option. I won't be selling my 6" gun anytime soon.

If I was younger and had it to do over again, I'd go with a 6" "fat free" of some kind. That being said, I have had a chance to handle, but not shoot several standard 6" guns and don't find them too heavy. Would have liked to have been able to shoot them on a few transitions to be sure.

JMHO

Richard

Edited by chirpy

I prefer the 6". I am not sure at what weight a 6" is considered too heavy as some have mentioned, but my caspian 6" slide is a smidge lighter on the postal scale than my Kimber 5" slide. Must be how Caspian cuts them or something. I am no GM so I may not be a weight weeny yet and the unlightened slide works great for me for now.

-Reliable

-Comfortable

-Accurate

-Managable

I have a 6" bull barrel that Matt Cheely built and I am positive that a bushing would be awesome and just as good by a competent builder like Benny Hill but the feel of the lightened bull barrel and slide is awesome and I have no doubt that a bull is a viable option. I won't be selling my 6" gun anytime soon.

Definitely a sweet setup, but since he's planning on going factory, i just assumed that he would want to pay to have a bull barrel fluted or anything. It'd be cheaper to achieve the appropriate weight with a bushing. Aesthetically, I like the look of the (fluted) bull barrel guns with the bottom-front of the slide cut off. It looks aggressive. lol. Such as this. MCG

post-11346-1241626307_thumb.jpg

I also like the "sleekness" of my Benny Hill 6." Lol, shoot i just like guns :wacko:

IDK..I have handled some 6 bushing guns without lightening and thought they weren't too heavy. But then again I like a heavier 6" than some. My Cheely built blaster runs in the 37oz ballpark with a bull barrel. I has been lightened quite a bit though. It tracks good and shoots really flat with 220 S&S bullets.

Jay11.jpg