Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hawaiianjo

No need to waste small rifle in a .40.

Agreed, but I load for .40 and Super, and it's one less SKU to inventory - plus RoundGun mentioned having a couple of K small rifle. I never considered is "waste" in the old days (ie, last year) when primers were readily available.

I RO'ed a shooter yesterday who hit a noshoot. I advised him it was not a good idea to waste primers like that in today's environment.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just took a gander at Gunbroker and the whores are out on the primers. $350 is the starting bid on 5000 LP or SP and it doesn't matter which kind and the bad thing about it is people are paying that price. Looks like more golf this year and matches only with alot of dryfire. Hell I might be able to win some matches as If I hold out long enough I will be the only one with primers and will have no competition. I might even sell all my primers put the money in CD's and when this foolishness subsides and all these primers flood the market and people are selling for pennys on the dollar I will go out and buy more than what I sold for a fraction of the cost. :devil:

I am getting more concerned as I know a lot of fellow shooters just can find what they need to compete even just in matches. Many people that don't reload can't find 9mm, and many that reload can't find primers. It's sad really. I know there is no conspiracy or anything but I can't figure our why NONE of the local shops that usually have lots- still have nothing!

... but I can't figure our why NONE of the local shops that usually have lots- still have nothing!

It is really simple people are buying more than they need or would normally stock, a lot of new gun owners buying ammo, and the continued high military demands. Add it all together and it is a "perfect storm".

Glad I pplanned ahead, I still have 10000 small pistol, 10000 large pistol, 2000 small rifle all Federal. Now that I am switching to Limited, those small pistol will go fast.

What exactly did you say your address was so that I can visit the next time I am in the neighborhood? Those large pistol sound like a nice gift to a fellow shooter to keep my revo running. :cheers:

Bring an armed guard for the return trip home and maybe a slightly used Limited gun and we can deal. You can leave with primers and maybe even my 5" 625

I just took a gander at Gunbroker and the whores are out on the primers. $350 is the starting bid on 5000 LP or SP and it doesn't matter which kind and the bad thing about it is people are paying that price. Looks like more golf this year and matches only with alot of dryfire. Hell I might be able to win some matches as If I hold out long enough I will be the only one with primers and will have no competition. I might even sell all my primers put the money in CD's and when this foolishness subsides and all these primers flood the market and people are selling for pennys on the dollar I will go out and buy more than what I sold for a fraction of the cost. :devil:

You are assuming that the primer supply is going to get better. Meanwhile what will you shoot?

I paid $40 per thousand for Federal large pistol match last week. It was the only Federal large pistol I could find anywhere so I bit the bullet and paid the price for two thousand. :( I'm buying small quantities until things loosen back up.

You are assuming that the primer supply is going to get better. Meanwhile what will you shoot?

Well after the last primer shortage I did the unthinkable and bought 20,000 of small and 20,000 of large Federal pistol primers at $105 per 5000. Now if my math is correct I paid $840 and if I sell at $100 per 1000 that is $4000. So take away my $840 and that leaves me a profit of $3160. Not bad if I could do that everyday with investments. Well if I did sell I guess I would have to put up the guns and just play more golf or just sell all my guns at the prices they are going for now and pocket even more money. That will save me money on entry fees, plane tickets, hotels and all the other cost that go with my shooting Then I will just bow hunt, play golf and count my money and when this all blows over and it will I will go out and buy my guns back along with more guns and probably buy 100,000 primers and still have money left over. Then I will start enjoying the shooting sports again as I doubt if I will be missed if I don't come to any matches. :devil:

It is a shame that the prices are doing what they are doing and I do hope they get better but sometimes you just have to say "What the hell" and change strokes in the middle, make some money and just sit back and wait. :(

But just for the hell of it and I know people like to see my smiling face. I will probably not sell my primers or my guns and I will continue to shoot until the well goes dry or they release more primers, I know I will pick and choose my matches more carefully and there will be a lot more dry fire practice. :D

Keep Em in the X Ring

Revoman

I doubt if I will be missed if I don't come to any matches. :devil:

I would miss ya, Dean!

Talk about missing, I am going to get the little brass hammer you loaned me about 2 years ago this weekend while I am at the ICORE Rocky Mountain regional. I am not sure when I will actually get it back to you but it will be in Iowa. :)

I contacted CCI the other day and this is the response I received:

"Thanks for your e-mail.

Due to unprecedented demand for loaded ammunition from domestic consumers, law enforcement, and international contracts, virtually all primers being manufactured by Federal & CCI are being used not only for our loaded ammunition, but other ammo companies as well.

U.S. made ammo is highly sought after due to quality, function and reliability compared to our international competitors.

Even more relevant, there are many, many ammunition manufacturers which do not or cannot make their own primers. Those companies buy primers as a component on an OEM basis so they can then load their own ammunition, such as: Cor Bon, Black Hills, Ultra Max, etc, etc.,

Until the loaded ammunition demands subsides there will remain a shortage of certain components: primers, bullets, powder.

All I can say is keep checking with your local shops. We hope that this incredible feeding on loaded ammunition subsides and components can then be attained.

Thanks,

Rob "

X

I contacted CCI the other day and this is the response I received:

"Thanks for your e-mail.

Due to unprecedented demand for loaded ammunition from domestic consumers, law enforcement, and international contracts, virtually all primers being manufactured by Federal & CCI are being used not only for our loaded ammunition, but other ammo companies as well.

U.S. made ammo is highly sought after due to quality, function and reliability compared to our international competitors.

Even more relevant, there are many, many ammunition manufacturers which do not or cannot make their own primers. Those companies buy primers as a component on an OEM basis so they can then load their own ammunition, such as: Cor Bon, Black Hills, Ultra Max, etc, etc.,

Until the loaded ammunition demands subsides there will remain a shortage of certain components: primers, bullets, powder.

All I can say is keep checking with your local shops. We hope that this incredible feeding on loaded ammunition subsides and components can then be attained.

Thanks,

Rob "

X

Thanks, finally and aswer that makes sense.

It was a sensible response, but whether it was a truthful statement remains to be seen. It was a P.C. response to be sure. Money IS the underlying theme here and the "international contracts" statement riled me up a bit. Apparently, the "average citizen" always comes in last, though as a group we probably make up most of their business, but because they see us as separate entities they don't see the dollar signs in one lump sum like they do with large contracts. I am always skeptical of business and government, especially when they work together.

It was a sensible response, but whether it was a truthful statement remains to be seen. It was a P.C. response to be sure. Money IS the underlying theme here and the "international contracts" statement riled me up a bit. Apparently, the "average citizen" always comes in last, though as a group we probably make up most of their business, but because they see us as separate entities they don't see the dollar signs in one lump sum like they do with large contracts. I am always skeptical of business and government, especially when they work together.

You don't survive in business just by being nice to people. Businesses exist to make money-- end of story. Sucks to be us right now...

I also am loading on primers bought last year. In fact I wasn't aware that the shortage was this bad until I routinely asked for a sleeve at the local shop, none to be had. Get this, I went to purchase a specific bipod for my rifle online today which typically goes for $50, also none to be found. I saw somebody offering $200 bounty for one online! So now accessories are being hit.

You don't survive in business just by being nice to people. Businesses exist to make money-- end of story. Sucks to be us right now...

I don't think I said anything about being nice, but making your every day customers feel unimportant isn't smart either. Filling the contracts while at the same time putting out quantities to supply other consumer needs is a better business plan.

Business exists to make money? Really???

Edited by ShaunH