Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Holders

D.Hayden

I've been shootng Limited 10 lately (while my produciton gun is being worked on), I'd like to take adantage of the different rules with the mag pouch placments. Where's a good place to look for these? I don't even know what they're called. I am using some Kydex paddle 2-mag pouches now, and they dig in when I have to go to a low shot. I'd like angled singles if I can find them. Thanks, Dave

I've been shootng Limited 10 lately (while my produciton gun is being worked on), I'd like to take adantage of the different rules with the mag pouch placments. Where's a good place to look for these? I don't even know what they're called. I am using some Kydex paddle 2-mag pouches now, and they dig in when I have to go to a low shot. I'd like angled singles if I can find them. Thanks, Dave

If you want something adjustable, Safariland and the other makers of "race gear" make them that way.

Try this shop: http://www.shootersconnection.com

I use kydex double mag pouches from Buy Brown. he's a local guy and does awesome work. I recently broke the paddle on my mag pouch getting in and out of the range car. Brown put a techlock (techlock pic)on it for me and I have never been happier. It sits out just a little farther, is adjustable for forward or reverse angles and I have not broken it since. The pic link goes to a knife sheath, but pretend it is a mag pouch.

BarKim,

I also use Saffariland for my limited pistol and they have worked great for me. Even though, I am always looking for something better and the two other setups mentioned looked good also.

cpty1 & statichead2k

Have you ever compaired the safariland mag pouch with the one's you use?

Jim

Garcia's pouches are heads and shoulders above the 711/733. I have 2 of them and refuse not to use them. I just have no speading money right now (saving for a Brazos......), if I did, I would have nothing but CR Speed gear. CR Speed is the best gear of the market. My Safariland belt was like a noodle in Barry this year, while my friends CR Speed was just as stiff as ever. The thing about Safariland is that they haven't designed a new product in long time (complete, from the ground up design). If you want, you can reverse the Versa pouch on the belt mount to get it even lower.

Ironman, I abandoned the Safarilands for the Xtreme. The Xtreme holders offer much more flexibility in adjustments, and tension adjustments are easier because of the stock adjustment knobs that come with the Xtreme. To get the same quick tension adjustment on a Safariland you have to buy the extra control knobs. FWIW, I agree with BJ, the CR belt is the ticket. As you can tell, I'm not brand loyal. I mix and match parts for a combination I feel works best for me.

I appreciate the thought, but since I don't stock the single stack holders, you should order them from SC. Chuck is a good shooter (finished 5th overall, one spot ahead of me, at the recent TN Section match). He also does a tremendous job in supporting our sport with countless contributions to the RO and prize tables at many matches.

Barkim,

I am a new shooter (to IPSC) and am working out the kinks in my rig right now. I have the Safariland 771s and love them. The only thing I would recommend is the oversized tension screws. I don't have them, but I belive Arredondo sells them. It makes adjusting them in the field a snap.

For single stack mags, I prefer Safariland's 771 pouches.

I love CR Speed's Versa pouches for double stack mags. And while they can be converted to accept single stack mags, I found that with the spacer in place the mags are not lined up in the center of the front opening. That makes it awkward to index the mags with my finger.

Kewl! Okay, why the 771 over whatever the other one that Brian sells? I lied, I really have two questions; how adjustable are they?

This is great; I’ve been trying for DAYS to get some of these answers. Thanks! :)

Ed

PS I just went and checked; the "other one" Brian sells is the 773, a little shorter.

The main differences between the 771 and 773 are that the 771's front is open and the 773 is shorter.

FWIW I feel that the 771's taller dimension is a little more secure at holding the 170mm 10 round mags.

• 1 month later...

Rockwell,

Yeah I got mine a couple of weeks ago too. With all due respect to Steve Anderson, Duane Thomas, et al they make a TREMENDOUS difference! Kydex mag holders have their place but that place isn’t on my competition belt.

Now if I can just kick this flu that’s been hanging on for a couple weeks so I get out and practice! :wacko:

Ed

Now if I can just kick this flu that’s been hanging on for a couple weeks so I get out and practice! :wacko:

After two weeks, it's probably not flu anymore! You might want to go see your doctor. Those secondary infections can linger a long, long time without treatment.

With all due respect to Steve Anderson...

In Steve's defense...I think you'll find that he doesn't advocate crappy equipment. He suggests that a shooter might consider equipment that works for them. (He is always after me to get a better holster.) :unsure:

Steve likes good equipment and good practice. He has used both to make it to Grand Master in two years.

BTW, I just ordered some single-stack 771's too. :D