Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem 1100 tac IV feeding problem?

lugnut

I just bought a brand new Tac IV. Gun shoots nice but after shooting about 30-40 target loads- Win target, 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot, DR EQ 3.0, 2 3/4 case. I've had three failure to cycle. Leaves the empty case in the chamber. Someone told me that I need to run a couple hundred rounds thru the gun before it will function normally. What do you think? I'm not alarmed yet- just curious.

If it is the Wally Mart 100 pak of Winchester , try some other shells/loads before doing anything to the gun. Even the Federal Wally Mart 100 paks are better than the Winchester. Even some of the speghetti slingers don't run on that stuff.

If it is the Wally Mart 100 pak of Winchester , try some other shells/loads before doing anything to the gun. Even the Federal Wally Mart 100 paks are better than the Winchester. Even some of the speghetti slingers don't run on that stuff.

+1 on that! Stay away from the cheap Winchester. The thin, steel shell head expands to the chamber and doesn't want to let go! Cheap Federal and Estate, even though they also have steel shell heads, don't seem to have the relibility problems that plague the cheap Wiinchester. I've even seen it jam up pumps!

I would lube it. Then shoot 100-200 more rounds. If it still does not function I'd buy a recoil spring and cut the recoil spring until it works. If you can't get it to work that way either drill the ports or use a higher DRAM shell.

That's how I would do it now.

Right off the bat when I got my 1100 Tactical I drilled the ports. Now I would have done the above. Recoil spring first.

The latter two options have negatives... drilling the ports increases the volume of dirty gas being put into the "system" making the gun dirty up faster... and higher DRAM shells tend to be more $$$.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I haven't even figured out how to break it down completely yet but I'll consider these options. I'd prefer to shoot lighter target loads so I'll try other ammo first for sure. Then consider the other options.

Changing the recoil spring should have no effect if your malf is leaving the empty in the chamber. Might try changing the extractor, but I suspect changing the ammo will be all that's needed.

Changing the recoil spring should have no effect if your malf is leaving the empty in the chamber. Might try changing the extractor, but I suspect changing the ammo will be all that's needed.

+1 on different ammo. Changing the spring will not solve the problem. Case head diameters are all over the place with the steel head cheaper ammo. JP did some research on this some years ago.

I've found that it's common for newer 1100's to extract a spent shell from the chamber and it doesn't have enough recoil/gas to to eject it and to fully cycle. In some cases it results in an empty shell getting fed right back into the chamber and it looks like it didn't extract. And in some cases you have a stovepipe.

I've found that it's common for newer 1100's to extract a spent shell from the chamber and it doesn't have enough recoil/gas to to eject it and to fully cycle. In some cases it results in an empty shell getting fed right back into the chamber and it looks like it didn't extract. And in some cases you have a stovepipe.

I have been shooting my 1100 tac-4 for about 4 months now. I have fed it nothing but Winchester AA shells and have had no troubles at all. Still with the higher grade sheels and you should be just fine.

I don't know if you were specifically writing to me. But I've been shooting my 1100 Tactical for about 3 years and my other 1100 2 years prior to that. Other than outright breakage :roflol: , and the gun being dirty, I'm not having any functional problems with my 1100's.

• 1 month later...

I just broke the gun down and gave it a good cleaning. I think I understand how the action works better now. I understand that the 1100 doesn't have the self adjusting gas system that the 11-87 does- can the 1100 be converted? is it just a major change? Just curious. I am going to read my manual now..

Edited by lugnut

I just bought a brand new Tac IV. Gun shoots nice but after shooting about 30-40 target loads- Win target, 1 1/8 oz 7 1/2 shot, DR EQ 3.0, 2 3/4 case. I've had three failure to cycle. Leaves the empty case in the chamber. Someone told me that I need to run a couple hundred rounds thru the gun before it will function normally. What do you think? I'm not alarmed yet- just curious.

I've been using a Tac IV for about a year. Works great. I agree with all who said change ammo. I've been using Estate 7.5 and Remington Reduced Recoil slugs. I use a boresnake once in a while and clean it after a heavy session or in the rain. I just follow the Remington Rem oil instructions. Ran really well at Superstition Mountain this year in lots of windy dust. Good luck.

Had the same problems with my 1100CM

Got to where it would only run Winchester AA, reliable.

Drilled out gas ports. started using Mil-Tec oil, going to Mobile 1. Had been using Rem Oil.

Ran all about 40 rounds of all my cheap 3 dram, not a problem. Wish I would of done this years ago.

Will check recoil spring for wear.

The 1100 CM comes from the factory with the gas port holes the same size as the hunting model guns. The 1100 target guns have larger gas ports to operate with lighter target loads. Open the holes up and stay away from steel rimmed cases and you will not have any problems. The gun does not get dirty from openning up the gas ports, cheap shells get the gun dirty.

I would lube it. Then shoot 100-200 more rounds. If it still does not function I'd buy a recoil spring and cut the recoil spring until it works. If you can't get it to work that way either drill the ports or use a higher DRAM shell.

Religious Shooter, I have a fussy 1100 set up for Open and I think I've done just about everything to it except take it to deep water to drown the piece of junk. It just does not feed reliably (FTF every 15-25 rounds, shell left in mag tube) The ports have been opened up though I don't know the diameter. I tried trimming the recoil spring. I've run it wet and dry and have replaced the O-rings and gas seal, been through 2 followers, 2 mag springs, and 2 mag tubes. My ammo is Rem hi vel general purpose loads 1270 and 1370 fps I think, and Fed Tactical slugs.

Can you give me details about how you lube your 1100 and the diameter of your gas ports.

Edited by kbear38S

I have a fussy 1100 set up for Open... It just does not feed reliably (FTF every 15-25 rounds, shell left in mag tube)

Well, that sounds to me like either an interceptor latch problem or a shell-surge problem.

Check your interceptor latch for damage (usually they get bent or the staking works loose). You can get a replacement interceptor latch and a special set of different thickness c-clips from Brownells to fix the problem. Do a search here - I recall seeing it discussed a few times.

Shell surge is where the stack of shells shift forwards in the mag tube under recoil, so when the shell latch opens, there is nothing there to get pushed out of the magazine. The fix is a STRONGER magazine spring. This could be exacerbated by a weak/shortened action spring because that would increase the cyclic rate of the bolt.

HTH

ETA: if the gun is consistently locking open OK when empty, then you most likely have enough gas and there is probably no reason to be drilling the gas ports.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

For shells left in the tube I'd look at the latch. Just replace it. That's one of the parts that I have changed numerous times.

I cut the magtube spring around 8"+ over the length of the magtube and extension together (Say the magtube and extension is 22". I would cut the spring to 22+8=30"+.)

For the diameter of the gas hole... I don't know. I just took a set of drills and a battery powered drill with me to the range and opened up the ports until it worked with the cheap Walmart shells.

For lubing I just spray Rem Oil on the outside of the magtube or rub CLP on the outside. This is after wiping down the tube. You will notice that there is a lot of soot on the tube from the dirty gas. Whenever it has a stovepipe or something it is almost always because the soot on the tube has built up.

Had the same problem you described with my Tac IV. Tried everything mentioned (different shells, different springs, cleaned/lubed, opened gas ports, etc). It went back to Remington THREE times and still had the same problem. THey finally bought it back from me. Replaced it with a Benelli.