Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie bulged brass question

islandtime

I have just started reloading .40 cal. I have about 5000 rounds of mixed WWB and UMC brass that has been shot in my Glock 35 and my SV. I am getting about 4 to 5 rounds per 100 loaded that wont fit the case gauge. I have loaded a mag with these and hand cyled them through my SV with no problems.

Would you shoot these or pull the bullets and resize the brass? I am ordering an undersize die to solve this issue in the future.

I have just started reloading .40 cal. I have about 5000 rounds of mixed WWB and UMC brass that has been shot in my Glock 35 and my SV. I am getting about 4 to 5 rounds per 100 loaded that wont fit the case gauge. I have loaded a mag with these and hand cyled them through my SV with no problems.

Would you shoot these or pull the bullets and resize the brass? I am ordering an undersize die to solve this issue in the future.

I had a similar question concerning .40 S&W and sent an email to the folks at Dillon. My question:

I have a 550B and loading for .40 S&W. I shoot a Glock 35 so I have a lot of "glocked" brass. My 550B resizes about 80% of my brass just fine. However, about 20% won’t fit in the Dillon .40 S&W case gage.

Does Dillon have any suggestions on how to get 100% of my reloads to fit the case gage?

Others have suggested getting an undersized Lee die and put it station 1. However, I would prefer a Dillon solution rather than another product.

Here is their reply:

Some “Glocked” brass won’t resize sufficiently to fit our chamber gage. Use your barrel as a gage. It should fit the chamber just fine.

Some “Glocked” brass won’t resize sufficiently to fit our chamber gage. Use your barrel as a gage. It should fit the chamber just fine.

Brass that comes out of any of my Glock .40s won't chamber in either of my STI's if it's just run through a normal Dillon die. One is having a Schuemann AET being put in it now so I'll have to see if that changes things. Still, I use a U-die and avoid the issue completely.

If they fit the chamber on the OP's gun the suggestion to use those that fail the case gauge is a great one....excellent idea.

Unless they were subsequently re-tested for easy fit in the barrel's chamber, I would not use ammo that fails the case gauge in a match. The gauge is more conservative than most chambers, but sometimes conditions in a match can be unfavorable and cause a feed jam with "just barely" ammo.

The U-die should fix the Glocked-up brass.

Edited by ben b.

Save your money buy a case-pro... it will save you time and money in the long run!!

CT

We're all waiting for the Case Pro Company's owner to get up aand running again, Chris. :rolleyes:

EGW said they won't be receiving anymore U-dies for a few MONTHS. Is there any other option that's effective and relatively cheap?

Get a Lee .40 die and try it out. The EGW U-Die is a Lee die that has its base ground down a bit.

I have been reloading Glocked cases for 2 years now for my STI (KKM barrel) without a single fat case. I do use Lee die set and I finish it with the Lee Factory Crimp Die. In my experience, the Lee standard resize (not the U-die) is enough to solve the bulge case base. The Lee FCD will resize the full case again after the bullet has been seated. It fixes any excessive case mount belling.

Check this new die out by Redding

G-Rx push thru

:cheers:

I just don't see how this $48 part is any better than a $14 Lee FCD and a $15 Lee Sizer kit, both of which have other things you can use them for.

Hmm $48 for a single purpose item or $29 for two different things that have multiple uses . . . . .

G-Rx push thru

I just don't see how this $48 part is any better than a $14 Lee FCD and a $15 Lee Sizer kit, both of which have other things you can use them for.

Hmm $48 for a single purpose item or $29 for two different things that have multiple uses . . . . .

They're not the same thing at all ... the G-Rx sizes the entire case, it doesn't leave that 1/4-1/2" at the base unsized like all other dies.

The best answer for me is to not shoot .40 out of a Glock :roflol:

G-Rx push thru

They're not the same thing at all ... the G-Rx sizes the entire case, it doesn't leave that 1/4-1/2" at the base unsized like all other dies.

Do you mean when using the Lee FCD as originally designed or like this

, more more like the G-Rx? I think the G-Rx is a steel only die while the Lee FCD has a carbide insert.

G-Rx push thru

Do you mean when using the Lee FCD as originally designed or like this

, more more like the G-Rx? I think the G-Rx is a steel only die while the Lee FCD has a carbide insert.

Yes, as seen in the video. And the Lee is Carbide, not sure about the G-Rx thing, might be carbide. But even if it is, it's nearly double the cost for the exact same function . . . pushing .40S&W brass all the way through a sizing die to remove Glock type bulges.

If you go search for gizmo or read the other threads, you'll also see a solution that supports the case as it's going into the lee die... this is much better than just simply pushing an unsupported case into the die and prevents the case from being deformed slightly with any sideways motion. Not as cheap as the GRX, but a better solution and the contact info to purchase was included in a post that I made, they also have a 45 conversion

Alan

There is a couple of things that work . The one I used was cutting off the top of a Lee sizing die. That will let you push it through.Chop saw works fine. I made one for 9mm by reaming a 38spl die out. 9s are taperd so die has to be so rim will pass through . I had a Lee type push through bullet size die mad for 45acp, It also has to let rim pass. All work good :cheers: good