Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Today On Monster Press

This is pretty much an el-cheapo copy of the real Dillon deal, which they no longer sell. :( My old counter design (hopefully lost in the board transition) had some limitations I wasn't happy with and $40+ on EBay seemed a little high so I dug around in the parts pile and came up with this:

CounterZoom.jpg

The counter was $4.99 at Harbor Freight, the 1" spring-clip $0.75 at Home Despot and the rest of the parts (aluminum strap, pop rivets, copper tube, brass screw) were already here.

Here it is removed from the press:

CounterOut.jpg

Note the clever bend and angled attachment of the aluminum strap to provide enough offset for a straight shot to the counter actuation arm, as well as the lower fine-tuning adjustment mechanism made by crimping the copper tube around a big-headed brass machine screw.

Clip it around the crimp die (must be drilled through like Dillons), adjust the actuator and lower screw so the bullet of the round getting crimped clicks the counter over and you're good to go.

I'm with Warpspeed - I just count the # of pickup tubes times a hundred. I box my 40's in old 9mm/38 trays from Federal or PMC to check primer seating and for brass marking, so that's times fifty each.

I gave up on my (Dillon) counter - it kept jamming and/or miscounting, despite adjustments - one of the few problems I've ever had with a Dillon product <_< .

Top ten reasons to have a counter:

- You have a Dillon RF-100 and don't load tubes anymore

- Something to keep you entertained as you're cranking out ammo

- See how many more handle pulls you've got left in the session

- Keep track of how long before you have to tear down your 1050 (every 15K, natch)

- Did I load six hundred rounds or only five?

- You can try four bullet weights in one tube of primers- 30 115's, 30 121's, 30 124's, etc

- Numbers are cool (if you scored high on the Autistic test)

- You can mark primer follower rods for your friends without counters (25, 50 & 75)

- You only count what goes into the bin.

- Who cares, it's another gizmo!

- Keep track of how long before you have to tear down your 1050 (every 15K, natch)
But isn't that why you keep a reloading log...? (electronic or hardcopy)...

On the other hand,

- Numbers are cool (if you scored high on the Autistic test)
...carry on. :D

I haven't kept a loading notebook since I had a SDB. I have a short attention span and hate that recordkeeping stuff-- I rip the top off the primer box, scribble the load on it and put it in the loaded round bin. When the bin gets full, I dump it into one of the brass bags Chuck B's been giving away and keep going. If the load changes, it goes into a different bag with an appropriate tag. Match ammo gets checked and boxed, but practice ammo fends for itself. Every time I open a new 1K of primers, I mark a sticker on the press. 15 marks and it's lube (and new sticker) time.

I do have to admit to keeping a chrono spreadsheet.. :huh:

Lemme see:

I have loaded exactly 74,175 rounds on my SDB since I bought it in June of 1994.

I still record lot numbers on bullets, primers and powder, at least for match ammo.

I have finally given up on recording the # of firings on really old brass used for practice ammo, but only because I had intended to throw it out after five firings, but am too cheap to stop using it.

I still segregate cases by headstamp and origin.

And, yes, I do realize what this indicates about my personality, but then, would ya want a doc to be any other way?

:D:D:D

you guys have too much time on your hands to be able to write all that stuff down....

I guess it must be my personality but all I do is load it up and then unload it, repeat...

sure i have my loads scribbled down and a sheet of paper which is taped over the press, but writing down lot numbers, how many times loaded, and what not sure seems like a waste of valuable practice time to me...

sno

• 2 years later...

It's been a while since I had any escapees from the shred-labs (the first post in this thread is from 2003), but here's the latest incarnation of the round counter. It's cooler because... it's digital ;)

post-1846-1144031159.jpg

Basically a microswitch on a post that closes every time a round goes through the crimp station, driving a $5.99 Wal-Mart pedometer with wires soldered to the pace gizmo. The microswitch is powered by gravity and 400 grains of 45-70 lead bullet parked around the back. There's a screw-adjust on the end of the post, plus wraparound blue wires and leftover red layout fluid for extra mad-bomber effect. :P

post-1846-1144031517.jpg

Self-Contained! Easy Reset! Works on most brands of press! Instantly transferrable to any crimp die! (Lee FCD's require minor drilling). Now how much would you pay??!

They sold very similar ones on EBay about 4 years ago for less than $10 with shipping and I bought two. They worked great, sadly I sold one.

Why does anyone need a counter? No one really needs one, just that it's nice to look down and see how many rounds are loaded.

Bob

Wouldn't it be easier to mount a counter on the chute that directs the loaded rounds into the bin?

Not on a 1050; there isn't one.

A counter that counts rounds going through the crimp die has the same effect and works on almost any press.

• 1 month later...

A reload counter, just one more shred of evidence for my wife to use when she complains about my shooting expenses. I still cut up and hide empty powder containers in the bottom of the trash can.

Now for something useful like a rubber stamp that indicates I just bought 5M bullets at the amazing price of $2.49 per M. That would make life a little easier.

F.S.