Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slow motion video request

Flexmoney

For those with the equipment...

Would it be possible to get a human eye perspective, behind the gun in super-slow motion? Where we can see the sights/dot...as the gun recoils and the front sight/dot lifts?

The idea being to call the shot (before the bullet gets to the target)...

Jerry B. did that in his Burner series, though it was a work around.

He set up with a videocam over his right shoulder, adjusting his hold to align the sights to the camera eye's view, and watched on a monitor as he acquired and shot the targets. It worked fairly well.

Jerry B. did that in his Burner series, though it was a work around.

He set up with a videocam over his right shoulder, adjusting his hold to align the sights to the camera eye's view, and watched on a monitor as he acquired and shot the targets. It worked fairly well.

Yeah...just like that, but with the super-slo-mo cameras that guys have now...which can demonstrate that the info is there to be "read" before the bullet's impact on the target would register. (and we can stick it on youtube, or whatever, for everybody to see)

Would it be possible to get a human eye perspective, behind the gun in super-slow motion? Where we can see the sights/dot...as the gun recoils and the front sight/dot lifts?

I think this would be a great learning tool. The slo mo video posted recently which was shown from the side of an open shooter really showed how the gun moves. You could see the muzzle (and I assume dot) drop down and come back up before the next shot.

BK...that's a good video. Thanks for linking that in.

BNorth...yes, the super-slow-motion is what I'd think could be a great help.

Where Travis talks about the shot calling taking a "split second"....that split second is what i'd like to see drawn out.

BK...that's a good video. Thanks for linking that in.

BNorth...yes, the super-slow-motion is what I'd think could be a great help.

Where Travis talks about the shot calling taking a "split second"....that split second is what i'd like to see drawn out.

I can slow some of my hatcam footage down... some. And of course, the camera isn't actually looking through the sights. I have a hard enough time hitting things with my eyes behind the sights, thank you very much.

I don't think you'll get much better footage posted here than the TT video.

I just got the Casio slow-mo camera. Unfortunately, my open gun is in the shop.

I was thinking of using a piece of teleprompter glass and black paper to make a see-through periscope thing. I hope to put the camera at 90 deg to my line of sight, with the glass between me and the gun. The camera would get 50% of the light, and my eyes would get 50%. The cool thing would be that the camera would have a view down the sight. It might take a couple of stands and/or tripods to setup.

Edited by Jeff686

I'm very interested in this myself, and would love to see it. This that I found on youtube probably isn't what you're looking for, Flex, but it gives some idea about the kinetics at work:

Some kind of footage like this, with iron sights, and with a shooter that employs good recoil management woud be most interesting to study.

Flex-

I think the type of camera you are seeking hasn't quite trickled down into the pro-sumer level yet...10,000 frames per second - ish...IIRC

...but if you are really interested we could rent one I'm sure...

ETA: Here's a good hi-speed/slow motion vid of things getting shot...not what you aksed but still cool...the paint can is really cool...sorry Micah is WAS blue...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ef47cb5837

Edited by hk_mtbr

Tried to setup a shot this last weekend. Did not come out well as I was holding the camera with the left hand and shooting strong hand. I will try again this coming weekend and see what I might be able to work out

Show on Discovery called "Time Warp", contact them and be the shooter Flex. I think they are doing 10,000 frames a second. Explain what you're doing and that it's not the typical gun or bullet in slow motion thing. Maybe they will give it a segment.

It's tough to get the bullet in the same frame as the gun since it's all recoiling and stuff, but here's some of my early efforts.

Open gun at 25+ with an out-of-focus dot, but you can see the dip and wobble from the shot easily enough. Since this is shot SHO, the dot is way out of the picture by the time the bullet hits.

-- Mini-Glock at about 7-10 yards (on this one if you look closely at the lower of the 2nd targets on the left, you can see the paper move as the bullet hits. Note where the sights/slide are..)

I think I have some other efforts in my stash-o-video, but it might be a while before I can dig it out. Maybe I'll do some with a plate rack at distance so people can play 'hit or not?' on the video before the bullet arrives.

Without fancy optics you have to shoot with the camera between you and the sights, so unless you have a tripod just right, you're shooting the camera with one hand and the gun with the other which is a bit of a juggling act.

Flex-

I think the type of camera you are seeking hasn't quite trickled down into the pro-sumer level yet...10,000 frames per second - ish...IIRC

...but if you are really interested we could rent one I'm sure...

ETA: Here's a good hi-speed/slow motion vid of things getting shot...not what you aksed but still cool...the paint can is really cool...sorry Micah is WAS blue...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ef47cb5837

Not true, a bunch of the slow-mo vidoes of guns on youtube are 1000 to 1200 fps. The Casio EX-F1 ($900) will do 1200fps movie, and the Casio EX-FH20 ($500) will do 1000fps. They are also shipping a pocket sized version but probably needs more light for high speed capture, and considerably less zoom too.

Here's a 300 fps video I shot today with an EX-F1. Fun for everybody! Play along at home! See if you can call the shots!

Btw, for non-dot shooters, the dot normally behaves a lot better than you see here-- juggling and shooting through both the camera and sights and still hitting stuff wasn't an easy trick.

Iron sight video in the works.

Here's the iron-sight version.

It's tough to get anything viewable with such a short focus range on the camera.

I've got some more raw footage, but it'll need editing in a better editor than this one..

Very cool! I got the dots with no problem, but I missed the first iron dip just before the rise. I guess that's why I shoot open. :)

Yeah, that's a classic blinken-grab on the trigger, but what shooters need to watch for. It's interesting how much 'feel' is involved in the whole process-- I find it more difficult to call the plate impact locations with the 10x-slower dot video than I do while shooting normally-- probably because the dot track is odd and I don't get the rest of the feedback of when the shot actually breaks and so on.

The iron sight video has to be tuff to do because the camera would want to auto focus on the rear sight and not the front. You would need a professional rig to setup the focus on the front sight.

Either way, seeing guns fire in slow motion is eye opening to how violent the whole process really is. When you watch someone shoot in person you might be able to see their slide flick back and forth, but you miss out on all of the waving around of the gun. I have tried really hard at matches to try and see the hammer drop on someone’s gun before the shot goes off, but I am yet to see it happen. Its just happening too fast.

Very cool! I got the dots with no problem, but I missed the first iron dip just before the rise. I guess that's why I shoot open. :)

Yeah, that's a classic blinken-grab on the trigger, but what shooters need to watch for.

I missed it on the first viewing. I was distracted...thinking about how busy that sight picture looked to me (with the various fiber optics and what not)...then the shot broke.

I had to do a rewind. I then watched the front sight and ignored the distractions.